Lusting after stupid vehicles...

Started by Jims5543, August 04, 2015, 02:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I've used the heck out of mine, I haul stuff n it all the time -  just the way it was supposed to be used!  4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That's one of the main reasons I want one.  Plus I'm rebuilding my collection  4.gif

Mudhen

Just read an article about used Astons...they say '06-'07 Vantage is the one to get; last to be hand built in England.  (does that really make it more desirable???  ::))

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5212051862.html

Supposedly selling the wife's JCW, should probably add it.

This one looks to be possibly going cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271999284674?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on October 02, 2015, 06:02:04 AM
Just read an article about used Astons...they say '06-'07 Vantage is the one to get; last to be hand built in England.  (does that really make it more desirable???  ::))

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5212051862.html

Supposedly selling the wife's JCW, should probably add it.

This one looks to be possibly going cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271999284674?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like the top one better it has 3 pedals and looks nicer for some reason. The other one with a mirror needing replacement and fender damage would drive me way plus 42K miles is nicer than 92K miles.

I have always wanted a Maserati, many can be had for 25K and they all seem to be on sale just before a major interval service is due. I wonder why?   A car that was 150K new is only 25K 7-10 years on.... Hmmmmm.... Yet I would love to own one. I suspect it would be like a boat the happiest days of ownership are the days you buy and sell them.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=34957&endYear=2016&modelCode1=QP&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=63465261&startYear=1981&makeCode1=MAS&searchRadius=500&showcaseListingId=391290404&mmt=%5BMAS%5BQP%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=390808464&Log=0
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

lol, ya - since I have no cash I always get into big loans - which after the post-purchase depression sets in I hate.  So I take a bath and sell.

I really like the new cheap-er Maserati's.  A true 'people's car'.   ;D

I just heard back from the guy with the green one - $45,995 "and I provide financing".  Not sure I want to trust a guy in NJ giving me a loan...bubba with a lead pipe might come visit me when I'm 2 days late with a payment.  Speaking of pipes, it's a pipe dream anyway...

Jims5543

I just looked at the top Green one again, it makes my pants tight.

That is a sexy ass car.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

I'm high bidder on this puppy right now (around this place I know what will be said - move the car, I can't see the planes!  ;D ).  My wife was NOT impressed.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-mini-cooper-jcw-gp-2/

I bid for fun knowing it's at least a $15k car...right?  And then all the talk started about head gaskets, low oil (which I'm not afraid of, I used to run mine that low all the time), possible overheating, etc.  And that stalled out the bidding...  :-[

None of the issues worry me at all, and I do want it - just that it would be yet another foolish purchase I really can't afford (not to mention just last weekend swapping my wife's JCW for a new Countryman).  A fly-and-drive home from Venice, CA sure would be awesome, though!

But who am I kidding, the guys reserve must be $15k or more.   ::)

MiniDave

I've been watching that auction and the one for the classic, which will end in a few hours.....

Good luck!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

Quote from: MiniDave on November 25, 2015, 10:27:32 AM
I've been watching that auction and the one for the classic, which will end in a few hours.....

Good luck!

Yes!  You need a GP!  Bid 'er up!   4.gif

I love reading the picking apart of old Mini's there, I always learn a lot.  But I hate reading the picking apart of the new cars - especially my beloved R53s.  They have such a bad rap and I've had such good luck with mine.  I've been struggling not to write in and defend them.   :(

Mudhen

MiniDave

I could have written a lot more, but I know peoples eyes glaze over when they see long posts and a lot don't even bother to read them.

Since I teach college automotive courses, I have seen a real shift in how people perceive cars today vs even 10 years ago. People are outraged when they have to have their car in the shop for anything anymore.....and they fully expect the MFR to fix it even if it has 100K on it and hasn't had an oil change in 50K miles.

If you get it the trip home would be an epic adventure - come thru KC on the way and I'll buy you a cold adult beverage!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I saw this today, I was drooling... as soon as I returned to the office I was searching out Opel Gt's for sale...

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on November 25, 2015, 11:44:15 AM
I could have written a lot more, but I know peoples eyes glaze over when they see long posts and a lot don't even bother to read them.

Since I teach college automotive courses, I have seen a real shift in how people perceive cars today vs even 10 years ago. People are outraged when they have to have their car in the shop for anything anymore.....and they fully expect the MFR to fix it even if it has 100K on it and hasn't had an oil change in 50K miles.

If you get it the trip home would be an epic adventure - come thru KC on the way and I'll buy you a cold adult beverage!

Agree and disagree, I had a 2003 JCW, drove it for 30K miles, never had a problem. It was a fantastic car.

My son had a girlfriend that wanted a Bini, asked me what I knew about them, told her my experience, and said I would love to get another.

She purchased a 2005 with about 70K on it.  The repair list on it in her first year of ownership was extensive, she ignored me when I told her to get an extended warranty on the car. She paid about $10K for the car at the time, in the first year it needed easily another $4-5k put into it.

Power Steering motor was supposed to have been done before she purchased, it went again, fuse block shorted out rendering the car undriveable, serpentine belt pulleys tensioner all went south, as did the main pulley, the dampener is rubber and rots, she now has a 1 piece aluminum one on the car so she will never had to replace another one. There were other things too I cannot remember I just remember feeling bad because I told her they were solid cars and hers was always broken down, it seemed like ever 2 months something else pretty big was wrong with it.

So many parts that are not cheap that Bini seems perfectly fine with them being 20-30K mile parts.

Ironically, if my younger son goes to this new school next year my wife will be driving far, I am actually going to get a early Bini for her to drive.  I am o.k. with fixing things, but, I understand folks frustrations. I actually like the bad reputation it makes for better prices for me.

The big one was the power steering electric motor, they were failing way too early and too often. 

I understand where you are coming from and if folks want cars that will go 100K miles without a problem I would not get a BMW a Bini or any German car, I would get a Honda or Toyota.  Those two seem to have the problem free car thing down pat.

Mudhen

I'm still on my original crank pulley at 204k, but it's high on my to-do list.  The seal behind it is leaking badly, too...

Lots of people with similar stories to your sons girlfriend, I guess.  Just glad I'm somewhat capable of doing my own work, otherwise I probably would hate it like others do.  The receipts that guy [shouldn't have] posted pics of?  I remember those days - go back to pick up the car and see a $2k bill sitting in front of you...like a kick in the groin.  Probably still paying off some of those on various credit cards.   :(

On the good side - I got outbid!  Now I feel let down, though - would have been a wicked cool car to have in the garage.

As would an Opel!   4.gif

MiniDave

Mudhen, I take it $8K was your top bid?

I don't think this car is going to top $10K, and at that price it would be well bought.....

I also would not fear one of these early cars, knowing that I'd have to go in and do some of the deferred maintenance like lower control arm bushings, damper pulley, crank seal, water pump and thermostat and a few others. The power steering pumps are under warranty for 13 years of 150K miles now, so I would not worry about that, and if the car was outside that range I'd just budget for a new one. The new ones use brushless DC motors, so they don't fail like the originals.

My friend BruceK just came thru town from Texas in his early 2002 S, he's about 110K now and the car drives beautifully. We did some work on it 2 years go, including replacing the miserable dual mass flywheel/clutch with a Valeo kit with the solid flywheel, now the car feels like it has a Honda clutch (his words) and is delightful to drive. We also replaced his P/S pump and shortly after MINI announced the recall on those, it took about 6 months but they cut him a check for parts and labor on his.

At the prices they're selling for today it's both cheaper and easier to keep one of these on the road than our classics!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

AcesLow

Just bought this beauty.

1960 Gmc 910 (C10). Bought it because it was my Dad's birth year and he's a big GMC guy

94touring

Jims5543

Quote from: AcesLow on November 26, 2015, 02:43:28 PM
Just bought this beauty.

1960 Gmc 910 (C10). Bought it because it was my Dad's birth year and he's a big GMC guy

Looks similar to a neighbors truck. His has a modern engine making 400 to the wheels with ac to.boot.

MtyMous

Guy down the street moved in a couple months ago. He's got a Hummer H1 4 door pickup. I've always wanted a H1 Alpha Wagon in black. Ever since he moved in we've been buds, and he let me drive it the other day. Now I'm finding myself on humvee websites and looking at purchases I don't need to be making. Here's a pic of what I really want.

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on November 26, 2015, 09:45:39 AM
My friend BruceK just came thru town from Texas in his early 2002 S, he's about 110K now and the car drives beautifully. We did some work on it 2 years go, including replacing the miserable dual mass flywheel/clutch with a Valeo kit with the solid flywheel, now the car feels like it has a Honda clutch (his words) and is delightful to drive. We also replaced his P/S pump and shortly after MINI announced the recall on those, it took about 6 months but they cut him a check for parts and labor on his.

At the prices they're selling for today it's both cheaper and easier to keep one of these on the road than our classics!

My 2007 FJ Cruiser has 150k miles on it and has only neeeded real axle seals because I put synthetic oil in the diff at 100k miles.

So Bruce is doing a lot of work to a 110k car in the Toyota/Honda scheme of things.

Of course Honda/Toyota is boring to.drivd so he wins in the fun to drive category.

MiniDave

Well, he absolutely loves his 2002 Cooper S, so the idea was to do what was needed to make it go another 100K......then see where he is. I think he'll keep it even then.

He also loves his classic Minis, he's had 6 or 7 of them, and has a completely refurbished 1988 Mini as his current driver now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Mudhen, that GP didn't make reserve at $12,500......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on November 26, 2015, 08:25:09 PM
Well, he absolutely loves his 2002 Cooper S, so the idea was to do what was needed to make it go another 100K......then see where he is. I think he'll keep it even then.

He also loves his classic Minis, he's had 6 or 7 of them, and has a completely refurbished 1988 Mini as his current driver now.

I had a 2001 BMW 330i Sport and Loved that car, we purchased with 75K miles on it and drove it to 130K miles and it really needed just about nothing the entire time.

Hindsight is 20/20 I traded it in on a 2009 RX8 R3 and while I loved the 8 my wife hated it and missed the E46.

Why I traded in the E46 was because it needed an entire cooling system replacement, new suspension and new brakes (rotors mostly) and new power steering, pump rack etc... I was expecting the drop about 3-5K on those items to do it right, and that was doing all the work myself. 

Looking back, I wish I had kept he car with a fresh tight suspension it would have been a carver. It had a slicktop, no power seats, lighter factory Recaro seats were in it. It handled amazing even with beat up worn out suspension, and had nice power from he 3 liter making 225 HP.

It was a really fun 4 door car and was a looker too. I understand your friends desire to keep his Bini. I should have kept that E46.

tsumini

Quote from: Jims5543 on August 05, 2015, 04:27:29 AM
Quote from: Merlin on August 04, 2015, 04:01:40 PM
I saw all of the hummers being dumped through gov planet. I am very much lusting after one. I want to get one and take it to the local diesel tuner and be like, "make this fast"
It would be the best truck/cruiser/jeep/wagon/suburban ever. Wash it out with the hose and move on down the road.

Too many toys in the world and not enough cash.

EDIT:
http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Humvees-1989-AM-General-M998-Humvee-HMMWV-Kentucky/551674?h=5002%2Cmsg%7C14331%2Csm%7C0%2Cpstart%7C20%2Csort%7Cp+desc%2CisAuc%7Cyes%2Cmf%7C1&rr=0.02564&hitprm=msg%3D14331,pstart%3D20,sm%3D0,sort%3Dp+desc&pnLink=yes

You got to be kidding me. Its got 3k miles on it! Talk about mint. Love the mismatched wheels.

According to a couple of friends, this the the tip of the iceberg, the market will be flooded soon. There should be some amazing deals.

Sent this to my brother. Here's what he sent back.

"the 6.2 gmc diesel is junk . they crack heads if slightly overheated gmc replaced them with the duramax diesel. a Humvee with a duramax would be ok,"

Jims5543

I found out too that all the Hummers being sold are for off road use only, you can not register them.

They will probably go cheap because of that.