Classic Mini Fun Run #5 UPDATE!

Started by MiniDave, July 29, 2015, 09:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Yeah I talked to Dean.  Everyone else in the area I know doesn't have a running car to drive. 

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on November 02, 2015, 02:12:28 PM
How many are going? Should I invite Robert Carlos of Yuma to bring his primered grey mini?

OK, I hadn't read the other thread yet..... ::)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Ruder's coming but he broke his ankle or something, so he'll be riding along with someone instead of driving his car.

We're down to 4 actual cars now - but the weather's looking great!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Jims5543

**toys around with making a last minute decision to tow the mini up***

**Checks google maps, 1200 miles and 17 hours of driving 1 way....**

Sorry guys, if you even end up in the SE I will do my best to get there.

Have fun!!!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Really? Only 17 hours?

When I drove from KC to Daytona seems like it was 26 hours drive time - but now that I think about it, I was coming from Colorado Springs thru KC to pick up my son.......

I'm planning to do MMW next summer in Sandy Eggo, that will be 24 hours drive time - minimum!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Alrightythen.......weather is shaping up to be perfect all three days!

We're heading down from KC to arrive in Harrison mid-afternoon - Dan is there anything I can bring from KC for you?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Is he putting a clutch in it for you?

Debating on whether to bring my tow bar or leave it home, in the back of the Audi ready for Rose to come rescue me if I break.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah he has parts for it but hasn't got to it yet. 

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on November 03, 2015, 09:56:47 AM
Really? Only 17 hours?

When I drove from KC to Daytona seems like it was 26 hours drive time - but now that I think about it, I was coming from Colorado Springs thru KC to pick up my son.......

I'm planning to do MMW next summer in Sandy Eggo, that will be 24 hours drive time - minimum!

Do not get me wrong, I love road trips, I need one bad, I just do not have the time right now to do one.

I towed my RX7 up to Indy 18 hours one way just to do an Autocross there and tow it back.  My wife flew up there to meet me there. 

I have done too many road trip so the Dragon than I can count, started going in 2004 and have been there at least 2X a year for 10 years not towing my car and some of them were brutal to drive, like my RX7 that makes a Mini feel softly sprung, and needed gas every 200 miles.

Have fun guys, may the weather gods smile favorably on your gathering and have a pint for me.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Believe me Jim, I understand......it's a long drive!

We'd love to have you along, especially since there will be another Red/White top P'up there too.... ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Just rolled into town.  I get zero cell service here but found some wifi.  I'll give you a room number once I finish lunch and go check in. 

94touring

MiniDave

Allrighty then! 

We're all here at last, John, Don and I took the long way down, rather than just take the freeway and get here quickly....and it took even longer that expected due to traffic (getting stuck behind slow moving trucks and old farts who would NOT pull over and let us by) but the good news (touch wood) is that no one had any car issues.

All three ran perfectly the whole trip - I'm pleased to say.....

Tonight we're off to find a bite to eat, quaff a few cold adult beverages and make plans for tomorrow.

Tomorrow we'll hit the road bright and somewhat early after breakfast and go terrorize the locals! ;D

Since it was dark when we got here I couldn't get a pic of all 4 cars, so I'll do that tomorrow.....in the meantime, here's a couple from where we met up this AM at Krispy Kreme for sugar pill fuel and coffee, and our lunch stop for gas. The weather is perfect as predicted, we should have a blast tomorrow blasting around!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

94touring

Highlight for me today was driving the D series pickup on the last stretch today.  I think I'm sold on the conversion. 

MiniDave

We had a good run today.......but it didn't start out that way for me, I flooded my engine trying to get it started in the cold morning....... looks like I need to do a little carb work again. We pulled the plugs and dried them off and it started right up and gave no problems the rest of the day.

In fact all of our cars ran well all weekend, I'm happy to say - but it wouldn't be a classic Mini run if something didn't go wrong on at least one of the cars!

We put on a lot of miles today, had a lot of fun going around 30 mph corners at 60 and a great time was had by all! We did get stuck behind the occasional pickup, but most of the roads have  passing sections if you can be patient enough to wait for it, and when you can't......

This evening found Dan giving hood adjustment advice to Don, who said it cleared up one of his rattles!

Tomorrow we all head for home, it was a short weekend but well worth the time.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

We got to sample the local specialties.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

A few more pics from Sunday's run home......before we could go I had to put in a new set of firing pins, once I did Buzz started instantly and ran perfectly the rest of the day. I guess it was just time for some new plugs after all!

Yes that's a 998 leading the way!

Buzz tucked in safe in Dan's garage-mahal......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Considering two of the plugs busted in two, I'd say they were due for a change.  I need to research if the uneven wear is indicative of anything as well.  I probably should change my mismatched old plugs. 

I did get a kick out of everyone's surprise at my speed in the twisties when I led the pack.  Don couldn't believe it was a 998. 

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on November 07, 2015, 03:49:15 PM
Highlight for me today was driving the D series pickup on the last stretch today.  I think I'm sold on the conversion.

This keeps echoing in my mind. You know I am gonna get a new engine hopefully later than sooner but it is inevitable.  For me to get a 110HP  A-Series will take a lot of money, a bone stock D-Series conversion might be a tad more expensive but will have 110HP and run like a champ.

Looks like it was a lot of fun, if you ever end up in the Southeast I might be temped to get my ass up there.

MiniDave

You can buy a D series with 130hp if you get the right one - they all are exactly the same size.......

And you're right, an A series making 110 HP takes some bux.

I worked on Buzz a little bit tonight, our club has an event tomorrow and we're still in this warm period with no rain which is odd for Feb for us, so Ima take advantage and drive Buzz.

I had detailed the problems I had with the points eliminator kit, I sent it back to the seller and they sent me a new one and I installed it tonight. Bang! Car started perfectly and ran smoothly - so it wasn't me after all! A fellow can get paranoid when these electronical things that are supposed to be bullet proof and work right out of the box - don't.

Now all I need to do is get the timing set right, with the brake booster on there I can't get close to seeing the marks on the flywheel except with a mirror, then I have to hold it and the timing light just right to be able to see anything, then I need a third hand to rev the motor! Then I have to remember the numbers are mirror image too and try and figure out what number I'm actually seeing! It's a challenge, to say the least - but I'll get er done......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad