Tinted clear coat?

Started by 94touring, May 28, 2009, 07:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Doing some body work for my cousin on a civic and just fixing the dents and dings and then primering it black for now till he's ready for paint someday.  Was thinking about testing out some tinted clear over the primer just to see what happens but don't really know much about it.  I have left over red and black paint that could be used.  Ideas, suggestion, comments?

joltfreak

would it work for "ghosting" flame/stripes?
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

joltfreak

if you try it out, be sure to take lots of pics!!

94touring

I'll ask my cousin if he's interested in that.  I've been slowly doing the primer/sanding phase on his car and its pretty much ready to go. 

joltfreak

A while back when i worked at a bodyshop we had a powder that we added/mixed in the clear which would make the paint flip colours.

ChrisA

Quote from: joltfreak on May 31, 2009, 08:13:10 PM
A while back when i worked at a bodyshop we had a powder that we added/mixed in the clear which would make the paint flip colours.

That was just pearl.

Tinting clear really doesnt look that great is most cases. A lot of people tint the clear the same color as the base just to try to give the paint job more depth.

Pearl is what is used for ghost images.

MD-IN-UK

Adding color to clear is an old Candy effect method. You can only use a very small percentage of color to get good results, otherwise, the clear will start to muddy up in appearance.

If your looking for ghost effects, you can simply try altering your original color formula by adding or deleting a tint just enough to change the effect when the color is hardline taped onto the existing previous color. Does that make sense?

Check out my examlpe using pearls for a ghost checkerboard effect.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE SWEETNESS OF LOW PRICE IS FORGOTTEN

94touring

Hmm that looks cool and gives me an idea for my pickup roof. 

Richard1

Quote from: 94touring on May 28, 2009, 07:05:49 PM
Doing some body work for my cousin on a civic and just fixing the dents and dings and then primering it black for now till he's ready for paint someday.  Was thinking about testing out some tinted clear over the primer just to see what happens but don't really know much about it.  I have left over red and black paint that could be used.  Ideas, suggestion, comments?

My understanding is that most primers are porous, and you should put a top coat on within a certain time or be prepared for moisture getting in.  I don't claim to be an expert on this, though.