Growing the 'social' side

Started by John Gervais, July 25, 2015, 05:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Jim, John is one of the many fed up mania members.  I posted earlier over there about guys coming here.  If Boison or any idiots stir the pot here I will swiftly kick them to the curb.

John Gervais

Thanks - I've been reading some of the build threads as well as Willie_B's (fantastic) epic journey to MMW and I'm happy to be here. 

I'm afraid I don't know the relevance of Jim's picture -

Yes, I'm known as 'jeg' on MiniMania and believe it or not, the 'potty-mouth' of late isn't my natural style. 

Generally, I'm a likeable guy -
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Jim was that pic "here for the gangbang"?

Willie_B

Welcome aboard. I could tell tell Poison was really getting to you over there. Got to me a good while ago. I still go there but not as much. If he shows up here it will be a challenge who kicks him off first.

It was a great trip. Already looking at Mini takes the States next year. Route not published yet, probably only do a few days of it if it is kinda close.

MiniDave

I've tried to go to the MM forum but I found it very difficult to navigate, it seems like you have to go to the end of each thread to find the beginning of the discussion.....at any rate, I'm happier here.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on July 25, 2015, 05:57:57 PM
Jim, John is one of the many fed up mania members.  I posted earlier over there about guys coming here.  If Boison or any idiots stir the pot here I will swiftly kick them to the curb.

I never got to "enjoy" MM since I hated the Reddit / 4 Chan format, besides, you, Dan are the reason I own a Mini and I was signed up here long before I owned one. I completely understand when a forum has gone to shit though... cough no pistons cough...

Quote from: 94touring on July 25, 2015, 06:09:15 PM
Jim was that pic "here for the gangbang"?

LOL!! Yeah, the beer made me do it. It just popped in my head.

It is from the movie Old School. The scene with Juliette Lewis and Luke Wilson. 

https://youtu.be/3rkAjnFB1g4
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Yes nopistons was a sad outcome.  Scott did a great job of running half of us away.  The guy non stop attacked me, and I was part of his staff!  MM simply lets bad members crap all over the good members. It baffles me they bluntly say they don't care, it's a business operation for God's sake! 

Jims5543

He most likely attacked you because he put 2 and 2 together and figured out we were friends outside NP.

Once I fired him from my company he banned me from the forum, so he could cry like a baby and tell his story as to how mean I was. Meanwhile, it was my good will that helped him relocate to Florida without the need to shop for a job, paid him more than he was worth, and put up with a lot of BS.

As much as he said I was insignificant to him, his actions said otherwise. I run into him from time to time here around town, I always walk over to him and extend a hand and greet him, he always gives me the cold shoulder and blows me off.

Whenever a parts company has a forum it is tricky business. Pelican Parts has a forum too and I have to be honest, because the the boorish behavior of a lot of its members, mods included, it has influenced me to not purchase from them, even if they are cheaper in some instances.

Posts here have influenced me to shop elsewhere for parts for my mini as well and avoid MM.

94touring

Yeah he definitely cranked up the hate after you fired him. 

As far as buying parts goes, it's hard to justify being price gouged when I can buy elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.  If I need something quick 7ent is handy as is gbcarparts which is in your back yard.

John Gervais

It's clear that you both have had message board 'experiences', though I have no idea who you're discussing. 

I enjoyed many years 'over there' and learned a lot.  I also might have contributed a tad to MM's decline recently, riding the idiot like a rented moped thinking either I'd get banned or he's go away.  http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/Smileys/smile/11.gif  Neither has happened...    MM's attitude is that the idiot was working hard at being such an idiot and it's amusing.  And now he's posting as some sort of expert, so we know where that'll end up.

MM's apathetic attitude towards the current message board climate has in fact hurt their business.  I've received several E-mails where long time board members have complained and stated that they'll not shop at MM anymore, ever.  There's also been a definite decline in 'qualified' advice on MM - to the benefit of this forum and the MK1 forum.  So, yeah, pity the new mini owner who doesn't know better and seeks advice over there.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Yeah it's hard to understand their approach to an obvious problem.  Especially when it's so easy to resolve. 

Jim and I go back 15 years on message boards.  Just ignore us lol. 

MPlayle

I refuse to ignore the banter between Dan and Jim.  Some is worthwhile and Mini related, the rest is downright entertaining!

I posted what was basically a "farewell" on one of those threads on MM and Jemal just kind of blew it off.  I have my doubts as to whether Don and Dennis even bother reading anything on their own forum anymore.

Having once been very active in several Mini groups and seen some of them die out from lack of participation and others from disasters such as on MM, it is refreshing to lurk over here.  There are the serious Mini discussions and adventures as well as the off-topic entertainment in a much more civilized environment.

I may be on hiatus from Minis, but it is still fun to be here.  (My current toy is a "baby sister" to Dan's - a 1993 MX-5.)

94touring

I noticed how Jemal did that too  :-[

MtyMous

Welcome to the party.

I can't stand the fact that I still post on MM. It's a freaking joke. Maybe I'll make my life's goal over there to be a recruiter. haha I bet they'd ban me for that before they ban the other idiots.

Jims5543

John and Mike,

Dan and I go back a long long way. Dan is good people and we gravitated towards one another as we were both Mods on a RX7 bulletin board a lifetime ago. Dan and I both love cars in general and he knows I LOVED his pickup back when it actually drove on 4 wheels under its own power.  ;D  I begged him to sell it to me many times.

The board we are talking about went south in a hurry when the owner turned into a dictator surrounding himself with yes men.  I own a small business, I have hired quite a few times from RX7 boards, I actually have a drafter to this day that does piece work for me via email that I met on an RX7 board. I had 4 employees at one point that all drove RX7's and came from the boards.

One hire would turn out to be a mistake, the owner of the board was looking to move to Florida from the Pacific NW.  He is computer geeky so I offered him a job I would train him in exchange for some geek work around the office, setting up a server, firewall workstation etc...

I went o.k. he came in for a week, I loaned him my JCW Cooper S to drive around while here and I trained him. He set up a remote desktop while here and then worked from his home while he got ready to move.

When he arrived it went o.k. but then his productivity went to shit, he was running is online merch store while at work and getting nothing done, he was making mistakes a lot and was just turning out to be a trouble maker in the office and worthless when it came to the trade work and ultimately a drain on my payroll for hardly any work being done. I fired him, and in a classic passive aggressive, I am an internet god, way, he banned me from him Forum, then took down websites I had paid him to host for me, back in the days before photobucket and you tube I had hosting sites for car pics and videos.  I lost a lot of photos I had backed up on there, I tried to download and back up as fast as I could realizing he was going to take it down I just did not have the time to get it all.

After a few years, I sent him an email asking to be re-instated to his website, he told me he forgot he banned me and made sure to tell me numerous times I was so insignificant he never gave me a second thought.

I looked around his forum and it had changed horribly, everyone posting was a moderator and everyone was kissing his ass. This would e about to time that Dan would poke his head up and disagree with the owner, a big no no. I am pretty sure the owner knew Dan and I were e-friends so Dan became a target, because I was so insignificant. 

I run into the cat here and there around town, and he is always a dick to me, I am over it, that was 10 years ago now and he is still to this day, a complete dick to me. Sad that it never occurred to him his behavior in the workplace put me in a bad position. You would think 10 years later, maybe a, "Hey, I am sorry about that, I put you in a bad spot being selfish".

None of that, instead he took to his forum and told people I sucked as a business owner, that my business was in trouble and I would be out of business in no time.  The joke is on him. LOL!!

Back on topic in off topic.

I mentioned Pelican parts, Wayne the owner on there is VERY sensitive to competition, so much so if you try to sell new parts in the classifieds he will pull your add down.  It happened to me and I received a warning. I was just selling off some spare parts that did not go with my 911 when I sold it. It was not like I was setting up shop there.

Also, Magnus Walker and Wayne have had some run ins too. Magnus was posting on there about his projects and well, promoting himself, Wayne did not like it and just about ran him off, I do not go on there anymore, I think  Wayne and Magnus came to some sort of agreement. They were good for one another, Wayne finally realized it.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/interview/who-magnus-walker

MM???  I purchased here a few times, then read on here how inflated their prices were, and started using 7ent and GB parts here in Miami.  As I said I never liked the forums, hate the format, it is a 30 year old outdated format that the Reddit and 4chan guys like.

94touring

Didn't you even fork out a few grand to host a car show for him as well?  Sinful7 ring a bell?  Lol that guy came to one of my cars shows once when I ran rotaryrendezvous.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on July 26, 2015, 08:01:27 PM
Didn't you even fork out a few grand to host a car show for him as well?  Sinful7 ring a bell?  Lol that guy came to one of my cars shows once when I ran rotaryrendezvous.

Man, you are stirring up shit I forgot about.

Yes, we decided to have a large car event, with a car show, Autocross driving school and then we were invited to an AX event the following day with reduced entry fees. We picked a host hotel and I put forward the funds to secure the AX school (Evolution Driving School) and I reserved a couple of rooms in the hotel offering one to the owner of the website since his website name was on the event.

He decided to comp rooms to some of his friends/yes men, never telling me and telling the hotel to put it on my tab.

What was going to be a break even event turned into a big turd and I lost a couple of thousand.

My fees for the event were structured so I would not profit from anyone, I just wanted to break even.

The plan was to do this event every year, after the debacle of the first year I was out, I told him he could organize the next event, that everyone wanted to happen.  It never did because I was not putting it together.

Also, I cannot remember the Mods name on there, I want to say TurboII but I may be wrong, he was mugged on a Friday afternoon the day he was going to pay rent, he had a thread about it in the moderators section. I emailed him and sent him $1K and told him he could pay me back slowly over time so he would not be in trouble with his landlord who did not care about his mugging.

Never saw a penny back and even had the audacity  to pile on me when I was having my falling out with the forum owner.

There were a lot of broken people on that board.

94touring

I've thought of hosting a mini bbq like I use to do with the rx7's.  Might be something to think about in the future.  I use to put up my own money on food and parts in a raffle. 

Jims5543

You know that moment when you are checking out of the hotel, I was expecting to even up on 3 rooms for 2 nights, turned out our friend comped 3 of his friends rooms and told the hotel I was paying for them since I was the event organizer.

So yeah, I paid for 6 rooms for 2 nights.

I had one room with my older son, and I had a second room for 2 guys that came to help me out with organization at the event.  The 3rd room was the Forums guys.

The other 3 were for people he decided needed rooms on my dime.

Words cannot express how pissed I was, I think my posts after the event were eventually deleted. I was heated.

Some may say, just do not pay for them, we yeah, I could have pulled that, but then that could have entailed legal problems, money back then was not an object for me, it was during the building boom and this setback was more of a principle than financial thing to me.  It was a irritation financially but fuckin pissed me off to no end.

Thanks for reminding me Dan,  I may smack that fekker in the head next time I see him.

Another annoying trait I forgot, if he farted sideways and cried his daddy would shovel from 10 to 30K into his bank account to make him giggle again.

50.gif

94touring

Lol sorry to bring that up.  I haven't thought about that in years!

John Gervais

Hahaha - I was pretty much told to wash my mouth out with soap - to clean up my language.

Apparently, I've been coarse and abrasive.

Losing more respect, daily...
- Pave the Bay -