Donate to a dying Vet.

Started by Jims5543, July 01, 2015, 01:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Some of you may or may not know I am a Chiver.  You may not even know what the Chive is, the Chive is a time waster website with lots of funny pictorials the cheeky pictures of pretty girls.

I have been a follower for about 2 years now. I have been a sideline Chive Charity Donor as well and have recently stepped that up and have become a Chive Charity regular contributor as long as I can afford to.

Chive Charities donates to all causes. This one was launched 3 hours ago and has already raised over 100K for a dying Vet with a dream to help other vets. Seems like a good weekend to throw some spare  $$ to a good cause.

Read here.

http://thechive.com/2015/07/01/dying-veteran-has-one-final-mission-21-photos/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=daily&utm_campaign=theChive%20Daily%202015-07-01#.oqgekt:uG8H

Donate here:
http://www.gofundme.com/finalmission

Short of the long in the links

QuoteJustin heard the words in slow motion, "colon cancer... terminal." A Major in the US Army, he knew well what would happen next. The protocol – talking about options and time. How much time? Six months, maybe, said the Oncologist. Justin's thoughts drifted – That wouldn't be enough time to get it done. This thing which must get done. This thing... it was not for him, it was for the others...
It all began in 2011 when Justin heard about a veteran named Troy Yocum who had walked the length of the United States three times over with a heavy rucksack on his back for a charity called Active Heroes. Troy was on a mission to end veteran suicide amongst soldiers with PTSD. For his efforts, Troy won the prestigious Citizens Honor Medal.
The Rucksack: A component of Active Heroes is called Carry the Fallen. Soldiers and Civilians alike will sign up to carry a 20 lb. rucksack on a march for 3, 6, 12 or 22 hours. Carrying the weight symbolizes the burden that many veterans carry post-war or post-trauma.
Justin Fitch knew about that burden all too well. Justin had suffered in silence from PTSD after returning home from Iraq. One night, he toggled off the safety switch on his firearm as hope grew dim. To the lesser observer, this is the easy way out. To a man pinned beneath PTSD, it feels like the only way out. At that moment Justin heard the voice of his fallen comrade, "Keep going, drive on." Justin put the gun down and asked for help. It wouldn't be long until Justin became that person people called to save their lives through his work with Active Heroes...
Donate RIGHT HERE!
UPDATE #1: This is out of the gate as hot as I've ever seen: $20,000
UPDATE #2: 1:33pm – Just spoke to Justin, "I am sick as a dog, but so pleased. Thanks to theCHIVE and good people we have raised $30,000 in an hour for my mission."
UPDATE #3: Donations coming in so fast we skipped over the $40k mark and hit $45,000 in a hurry.
UPDATE #4: 2:01pm – $55,000!!! Donations coming in at a rate of $846 ever minute and surging....
UPDATE #5: 2:15pm – $65,000. Chivers are hawking down the goal at record pace. Ten people have donated over $500, thank you. And if you donated $5, it's just as important.
UPDATE #6: 2:30 – $78,000!!! We did it, Justin. Sit back and watch this, friend. I think the Chive Community has decided a couple cabins might fit nicely on that land.
UPDATE #7: 3:02pm – $90,000! Justin just emailed me, "You guys are just amazing. Thanks to everyone for hitting the goal so quickly. Good people don't ever let you down and I am humbled by this. It gives me energy to keep going!"
Proud to be an American today.

Read more at http://thechive.com/2015/07/01/dying-veteran-has-one-final-mission-21-photos/#3DwDmtlOg24pPUPx.99
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Over $225,000 (Goal was 78K) raised and still running. The night crew went to work.

At 9:30 last night the entire Chive Nation toasted Justin as the folks from the West coast got home from work and started to kick in additional donations.

When I stopped following this last night they were at the 150K mark and still going strong.

. When I did the math yesterday the average donation was $40 per person. Although there were many many $5 and $10 donations. There were also many $100 and $500 donations. Looking just now there are quite a few $2500 donations as well.

Faith in humanity, especially in recent weeks, restored. I am proud to say I am part of this group of people who get together and do something positive and help others after ogling half naked women.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

9 days later the tally approaches 300K.

http://www.gofundme.com/finalmission?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_content=cta_button&utm_campaign=upd_n

Pleased to see so much support for a worthy cause. I did not know over 8,000 vets commit suicide every year. I hope this and other programs can help to eventually stop that.