Lafff

Started by Jims5543, June 26, 2015, 01:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

MtyMous

Hahaha. I want that robot at work.

Willie_B

Jims5543

The South just rose again.

Former NAACP president posing with my friends daughter over the weekend.

I wish it was as cut and dry an issue as the media and the masses want it to be but it is not. When you stop to think that 98% of the people fighting that war did not own slaves, did not enjoy the benefits of slaves and were fighting for an entirely different reason. Then the flag issue becomes a tricky one. The media force feeds opinions and everyone falls in line. No one ever reads articles or press releases from southern heritage groups (that are indeed released) when the KKK uses this flags to spread their hate.  Or when inbred idiots like that Charleston shooter uses it and apartheid south Africa flags as his symbol for hate.  You just read and hear what the media wants you to know.

I was raised in the NE and moved to the SE when I was a teen after graduating HS.  I have made many friends who are several generation Southerners  who have family that fought and either lived or died in that war. 

There is so much many do not know about that war because of what is left out in the history books. Like how many Confederate soldiers we killed in detainment (POW)  ca,ps that made the Viet Cong look like good guys. Or how 1 million (yes 1 million) slaves died being held in northern and southern detainment caps after the emancipation proclamation was enforced following the war. Most died of disease and starvation.

The story of that flag is not so cut and dry. Many many Southerners are not racists and do not view that flag as a symbol of slavery or oppression they view it as a Heritage a cultural symbol of a group that said no to the tyranny of Washington DC. 

Washington was doing to the Southern states what England was doing to the colonies prior to the Revolutionary war.

Being a Yankee transplant, I found what I learned in School in the NE versus what I have learned from my friends and on my own once my interest was piqued so be completely opposite.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

MiniDave

Yes, but the confederate flag was the symbol of secession, and we are one country - it should not be flown anywhere, it belongs to a place that does not exist. There are no confederate states......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's a symbol of southern pride and values and should be flown proudly by anyone who feels the same.  The worst thing happening to this country is the intolerance of others to live freely how they choice fit to live.  Gays want to marry and that's fine by me, but all my southern friends have just as much right to fly a flag that represents their heritage.  One group is suppose to be tolerant of the other group but not vice versa? 

MiniDave

Totally different issues....the gay pride flag has nothing to do with their "heritage", it is a symbol of their freedom from oppression at the hands of other Americans - today, not 100 years ago.

Why would it be a symbol of pride? The war was decided 150 years ago, there is no pride flying the flag of the losing side. The Confederate flag is a rallying point for Southerners to show their disrespect for the country they live in - it is a slap in the face of all other Americans, including southerners.

It does not express heritage, but it is a symbol of a time gone by. It needs to stay in the museums with other antiquities, not be flown as a symbol of disrespect and rebellion.....which it how it's used.

Before the South decided it would secede, it was part of the US, the flag was flown to show their separation from the union. Since the south is now part of the union again, to fly it now is disrespectful and does not put a positive light on the south.

My humble opinion of course.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

This supposed to be a lafff thread. How the heck did it get side tracked with the stars & bars. Not by photo post if you are paying attention!

Jims5543

In my humble opinion the Confederate is no different than the colonies when they revolted against the British motherland.

What the Union was trying to do with the Southern states was a repeat of what Britain was doing to the colonies.

When the Southern states said enough is enough we do not want to be part of this anymore, all hell broke loose. I have to wonder what this country would be like if there was a Southern US and a northern one.

Remember The Florida Keys Succeeded as well, everyone loves the Conch Republic but to be clear, the Conch Republic was formed when the Florida Keys Succeeded from the US.

Does everyone hate the Conch Republic as well? I see these flags everywhere and no one bats an eye, it usually indicates a drunk in close proximity. ;D

Also, did you know the Flag Salute was created to thumb ones nose at the South? 

Original Flag solute:

Quote"I Pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands; one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All."

Indivisible was put there for a reason, the reason was to tell the Confederate that succession would never happen again.

Ironically there is a group hard at work wanting the succession to happen in this modern age.

I do not agree with it, but it exists, I know one of the chairman, he is on the Government watch list, he is out of his mind, and I had to cut ties with him 2 years ago, even though I have been to his house, he and his wife are lovely people, when it comes to politics he is batshit insane.

http://dixienet.org/

Jims5543

Quote from: Willie_B on July 05, 2015, 04:35:25 PM
This supposed to be a lafff thread. How the heck did it get side tracked with the stars & bars. Not by photo post if you are paying attention!

I just reported you to a moderator.

;D

94touring

Jims5543

Quote from: Willie_B on July 05, 2015, 04:35:25 PM

You started it. ;D

Unless I misinterpreted your picture post, you are calling the south succession treason.  Which is probably accurate but in light of current events poorly timed.

I have some good friends that are good people who are really pissed off right now, like the guy who took the pic of his daughter and the NAACP ex-president now a proponent of the Confederate Flag.

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on July 05, 2015, 03:38:11 PM
Yes, but the confederate flag was the symbol of secession, and we are one country - it should not be flown anywhere, it belongs to a place that does not exist. There are no confederate states......

The confederate flag is actually the Northern Virginia Battle Flag adopted by the south after the war as a symbol of southern pride, nothing more, the media and uneducated misconception has vilified the  flag over the actions of a small few people.

http://www.rulen.com/myths/

Keep in mind, I am a carpetbagger, a yankee, a visitor / transplant that was taught an entire different history up North only to find out they were lies in my adult life.

When I first moved to Florida, I was dumb enough to be proud of my NY State plates on my car, until some stupid redneck ran me off the road, then I hurried and got my Florida plates to blend in. I was the epitome of a Yankee hating stupid southerners.

When I found out the founder of the company I worked for was a KKK member ( I worked in a plant in a very small, VERY redneck southern town) I was appalled and did not want to be associated with the place.  It has since closed down even though the founder is long dead even when I worked there.

So for ME to come out on the side of the Confederate, well, that would be outrageous to anyone that knew me growing up or even in my 20's, it was not until I was older, met some proper Southerners, then learned what their culture / heritage  was all about that I realized I was both taught wrong but was just wrong in my opinion of the south. I wish I could consider myself a Southerner but lets be honest here, I am indeed a Carpetbagger.

94touring

I too lived up north and transplanted south. 

Jims5543

Is today a holiday too?

Is the 5th of July another fireworks worthy holiday?

Because the folks in the neighborhood behind me are celebrating it.

Happy 5th of July, whatever holiday it is.

MiniDave

There is no confederacy, therefore there's nothing to come out in support of.....that's the problem I have with this entire discussion. People who are trying to support an argument for something that does not exist!  50.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on July 05, 2015, 06:20:01 PM
There is no confederacy, therefore there's nothing to come out in support of.....that's the problem I have with this entire discussion. People who are trying to support an argument for something that does not exist!  50.gif

Then this flag needs to be banned as well. Drunks all around the world will revolt if that happens.... well.. no they wont, they will just pour another drink.  Both flags represent succeeding from the USA in the name of tyranny and oppression by Washington DC.

Don't worry, as a friend of mine said, cultural genocide is going to happen in the South as ill educated Yankees and politicians who "think" a decision in line with the media and general publics opinion will get them votes take big steps to eradicate the flag.

Curious though, Dukes of Hazard was the the #1 television show nationwide when it was on. No one seemed to have a problem with that flag back then, ironically the show was pulled from TV land and many outlets will not sell it on DVD anymore.

When I head to the Conch republic in 12 days I will be sure to tell them they are treasonist scum and their flags offend me.   LOL  I will just get drunk and take part in the debacle that is Key West.

Willie_B

If you go back and look at my original post you will notice that the flag in the pic is British and that it was posted on the 4th of July.   No stars and bars there anywhere.

Jims5543

LOL!! Sorry about the rant then, you are correct, I scanned past it and thought it was the Southern Cross going back to look closer and it is indeed the Union Jack.

As far as the Southern Cross goes, I agree it should never be flown on a state building, flying over a confederate memorial is another thing and that is what everyone in SC is all is a tizzy over.

My apologies for stirring a pot that was not even there.

Jims5543

This kids is what happens when you browse on your phone and do not zoom in. LOL!! I honestly thought I was looking at a Southern Cross, it was until I zoomed in or was on a PC that I could see better.

I have been following current events on the Confederate Flag issue, it looks like it will be voted out, almost unanimous vote in SC yesterday so the bill moves on.

Bubba Watson scarred he might get flack for owning the Original very first made General Lee has decided to paint over the flag on the roof.

Kidd Rock is being harassed by protesters because someone thinks they saw a Confederate Flag being waved on his stage 6 years ago when he sang a Lynyrd Synyrd song.

Dukes of Hazard was pulled from TV land.

A non scientific poll shows 60% of the people in South Carolina want the flag left alone. While only 30% of voters want it removed.

It seems the bill that was written in 2000 in SC to remove the flag from the State building and to a newly build war memorial also had verbiage to construct and maintain a MLK Jr. memorial.

Now that that bill is being eradicated proponents of the flag are wondering if the MLK memorial will be permitted to stay on the State Building property or will it have to be removed and placed elsewhere like the war memorial has to be.

There is a group hard at work in SC already looking for a plot of land away from the State Building to construct a larger war memorial where all the flags used during and after the war can be displayed. They are also pushing to pass a law where it is a felony to deface there war memorials.

Also Fort Sumter pulled down the SC State Flag for fear it too could be interpreted as offensive.

Interesting week for sure.   

I agree, the flag needs to be moved off of state land, I am not 100% sure why it is being vilified like it is. I do find that ironic being as we are taught not to judge an entire group of people based off of the poor behavior of a small few. 

I wish Bubba Watson would just sell the car rather than ruin it but hell it is his car he can do what he wants.

MiniDave

Yes, we seem to be  nation of over-reactors today......it's one thing to remove it from daily use on a courthouse or something, quite another to remove historical references and such.

And vilifying a car made for a TV show because it has a stupid flag on the roof? I mean, maybe if it had an Isis flag......

When did we become so overly sensitive? And why?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Yes Dave, kind of my point from the beginning. This is being turned into much more than a single flag being flown where some feel it does not belong.

So now, if you have a Southern Cross on display you are automatically labeled a racist.

Seems kind of ironic that the actions of a few has caused there to be a stereotype for all.

Isn't that exactly what we are not supposed to do?

Merlin

Fuck Obama.

I am now the boards official racist. I love Duke's of Hazard and I carry.

I am also an atheist so, figure that stereotype out.

/thread

Engineering the Impossible