On the way to MMW2015

Started by Willie_B, June 23, 2015, 04:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

He's on I-80 to Salt Lake, speed limit is 75 on that highway!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Made it to Rock Springs WY. Was looking iffy for a bit. Car has been sounding off and getting hard to start. When I stuck my head under the bonnet the rockers sounded noisy. Of course I did NOT pack a feeler gauge. Nurse the car to Laramie, find a parts store to buy one and check the valves. One exhaust was way too tight, no idea how. Got them all checked and adjusted and Bob yer uncle.

GPS was fun. A few miles after I got the freeway it showed I had 402 miles till my next turn.

The cool weather was nice. Till I crossed the continental divide. There is desert scrub land on the other side, that means more heat.

No pics tonight as I have no data service here. Did not take many as I was concerned that the car might not start if I turned it off.

Willie_B

Willie_B

Today I got an early start at 6am to beat some of the heat. It was 67 when I left, 100 in Boise when I passed thru. Looks like I will do the same tomorrow as well. No car issues today but as the day got hotter my grade climbing speed slowed. When it is less than 80 I can cruise up most at 75 but when it got HOT my best speed was 65 to not get too hot. I usually gain 30 degrees in most climbs. If I run the heater also it takes a wee bit longer to gain it but it still gets there. A few photos of todays roadside near the start.

Mudhen

Years ago I got my SaddleSore1k...got on the NY state throughway and my GPS said about the same thing - 400 miles to the next turn...I had to turn the thing off.  Mile after mile of looking down...no radio, no passenger, just me, alone in my head.  And I'm not that interesting!

I've never been out to that area of the globe so thanks for the pics - can't imagine being in that car at 105 - you da' man!

Willie_B

Wifi at the hotel is terrible.

Made it to Abbotsford a day early. Got an early start on the final day at 5:30. Several of the places on my route were looking for a high of 110, so if I can get by those places before then I am good with leaving early. I still had to slow to 55 on several of the uphill climbs to ensure the engine did not gain too much heat. The extra heater core under the hood it's job to keep that under control. Sure can tell the roads that the truckers have to use theirs chains on, the surface is chewed up and noisy. Also the main lane used by the trucks has a center ridge that is just wider than the mini track. The first time I got into one I thought something on the car was way bad the way I was weaving all over the lane. If the highway patrol was looking I just knew I was going to pulled over.

Today I need to find a car wash and then check the valves just to feel good about them. Car did good. Most of my time I was cruising at 72-74 mph. Car seems to like that speed, engine and ride. Average of 33 mpg for the trip so far. I use a bag of ice every 2 hours or so as the seat cooler is running all the time I am driving. I can feel the heat and know that it's hot but I am not sweating at all.

No pics unless the hotel wifi gets better.

94touring

Plus kinda hard to tell what temp you're running when your temp gauge is jacked up!

Jims5543

Loving the cool seat, fantastic idea. I could have used that on some of my road trips minus Ac to the Dragon and back.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Hope it's just the lack of wifi that's keeping Willie B from posting......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Yeah, I was hoping the same, I keep checking for progress and updates.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Willie_B

Here I am. Yesterday was a long day (570 miles, 13 hours). Drug into the hotel, shower, dinner then bed. WIFI in Canada and here is not good so no photos yet. Part of yesterdays route was a state highway across the mountains, great ride but that added several hours but worth it. After that part is was just hot, dry and brown. Car is running great, I did stop and adjust the valves about 30 minutes after I hit the road while it was still coolish out. Got that down to just under 20 minutes stop to going again.

Willie_B

Todays drive was not quite as hot, although it was 100 when I was passing thru Haridan Montana. I found that if I close the window on the side of the car that the side wind is blowing in the car stays much cooler, of course tbe side I need to close keeps changing. Another sign I saw but could not stop for a photo was advertising for a "Testicle Festival"  in Montana. Another one I not sure I wanna know about. Speed limits so far have been 75, with no traffic most folks seem to be staying close to that. My crusing speed has been a few under 75 even in the heat the car seems to do ok. The longer inclines drop me to just under 70. Guess I feel good enough about the engine to push ot a bit more.     Will post photos when I can find some good wifi.

Willie_B

MiniDave

Willie, good to hear you're on the road again, give me a head's up when you think you'll hit KC, OK?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Willie_B

Today. I have been leaving the bonnet open when I stop or I get vapor lock.

Jims5543

Love the Mini cabin to go with the Mini. Great trip glad you are still trucking along.  You are a very brave man to make such a huge trip in that little car.

Thanks for the updates.

Willie_B

571 miles today. Not as hot as it has been, I'll take that. Got another early start while still cool and just at dawn. Decided that the speed limit was 80 I would go 80. Went just over an hour without seeing a car in my direction front or rear, and not much going the other direction either. Car was just fine cruising at that speed but it did suffer in the miles per gallon, only 28 at that speed. Normal while crusing in the 71-73 range I get 34mpg. The other problem with that speed is I have to focus more on driving with less time to look, so enough of the 80mph now.

One of the new things to deal with are cattle crossing. Rough and noisy in a small wheeled car.

I really enjoyed the view this morning just after sun up but before the sunlight was shining on the ground, everything looks so soft and relaxing. A good way to start the day.

Took a side loop thru part of the Badlands National Park. Wow.

94touring

That's great you're getting to see so much  4.gif

Jims5543

I LOVE empty roads, when driving through rural Georgia we did not see another car in our direction for a long time either, the most startling event was deer on the side of the road in the middle of the day.

I need to get out into that part of the country for sure. Plus Badlands looks badass!!

Great update keep motoring!!

jedduh01

Spectacular ! Keep Truckin!  uhh umm Mining'!

Great faith for those that are afraid to leave their own City - County or State in a Little Mini!

I can hear the WHHHHHHHHHH of the A series in my head!

MiniDave

Ru-roh........I'll let WillieB fill in the details......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Too late to type with small phone keypad. Big Thanks to Minidave for driving 175 miles to rescue me. More details when I use a real keyboard.

94touring

Willie_B

Yesterday started out wet, first rain on the trip so guess that's good. First gas stop for the day after cleaning the windshield so I can apply Rainx I see a large empty tent just across the parking lot. The car fit with room to spare.

All was going well till the car would not restart after a rest area visit. Tracked it down to no spark. Then I discovered I had taken my multimeter out of my toolbag and not replaced it. Decided the coil must be bad. Got a taxi service to come pick me up, take me to NAPA then back to rest area. It was not the coil. Without a meter could not really check anything. So, called Dave. He drove close to 400 miles round trip to come get me. He brought his newly built but un-tried flat tow setup. Towed us back to his place in the rain. This was his first time flat towing a car.

Will check it out this morning to find out what's going on. Still wet out there so will wait till mid-morning.