Ideas, options, opions 998

Started by Neb, May 28, 2009, 05:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neb

I've got a 998 sitting in my parents garage. I don't have one. I'm wanting to do a rebuild but do something more than just a stage 1. The initall cost for a K head conversion is out of my price range. I would like to slowly collect the parts for a turbo and have the block bored out a bit to be sure the cyl. walls are straight. I also remember reading about changing the main bearing to drop in an 850 crank. Overall engine size goes down but other than that what can be expected? Reliability drop? I belive it was said to be a great quick reving motor. I would like to keep it "streetable" but maybe not daily driver. I'm not ready to feed this idea to the dogs at MM as I don't want to be eaten alive. The engine would rarely see over 60mph unless it can handle it w/o problems, as I have the 1293 for when I need to get up to 70. After the build I'll start searching for a good shell/rolling shell.
Neb

batman1usa

;D  Hey Neb,
  I'm all new to this mini stuff my self.   I too have an 998cc sitting in my garage that I'm going to someday rebuild.  It's been to the machine shop and all measured up all I need to do is come up with $ to buy parts.  I've read several articles from MM and 7ent on the 998 and also asked some locals in my area.  I've a list of stuff that I'm going to get to make it a little street cruising micro monster.
  I'm told to get a Pertronix ignition, have the distributor rebuilt by a guy at Advanced dist.  And have the carb rebuilt via a guy named Jimmy Hilton toss in a nice mild street cam (and the stage 1 kit and hold on.  Should still have the 998 reliability I am told.
  Maybe others have better advise but I'm gonna try it this way.
  There's some lengthy tech articles I think on MM that seem to have good info without posting to the brow beaters as you say. 
  Just my 2 cents and I know there are a lot more knowledgable people on here than me.

JD

Neb

I've read most the tech articles on MM about 998 upgrades. Ran the 998 for a few months as stage one and just want to play a little more. More interested in torque, fun, and something a bit different than HP. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on http://www.turbo-mini.com/index2.html  and http://www.turbominis.com/. I would like to find info on the 850 crank in 998. It's a bit of a research thing but I don't where start.
Neb

xcc_rider

Sorry, I don't have any info for you on the 850 crank but there's lots of good info in the tech article section on the MM board. Look for Project Small Bore by Graham Russell parts 1,2 & 3. Lots of talk regarding the 1100 crank, stroking the 998 and getting a bunch more torque out of it. Head mods, fueling, cams etc.

Basically, a stock 998 Cooper motor got 55 hp and 63 (ish) torque, or verse visa. I can't remember the exact numbers but it put out the same as a stock 1275 motor and can be built from there.  I've got the stock 998 Cooper motor in mine and can say that it's more than adequate on the street as I've had a little experience on the drag strip and know that a Mini wasn't designed to be a dragster. It loves the twisties and only needs enough power to power through the turns. Hey, but then again they race tractors to don't they?  

Don't worry, there's a few of us who like the small blocks.

Two 998's, a 1100 and a knifed/lightened/balanced 1100 crank in the garage for future builds.   dan

Neb

Found the 850 crank reference. http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=4983 I was thinking the wrong forum. I would still like to find more info. Still need to get a copy of Vizards.
Neb