Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

+1 on a claw used to pry, used them many times even when I have a pry bar handy.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Got this little guy ordered. 

gasmini

Quote from: 94touring on June 09, 2015, 02:50:25 PM
Have you ever ordered a radiator to find out that the over flow tube is pointing the wrong way?
I just got my new aluminum radiator in today and its pointing towards the front of the mini. :-[
Is there another British car with a radiator made this way or did I just get one that was welded wrong?

Willie_B

Quote from: gasmini on June 10, 2015, 03:28:20 PM
Have you ever ordered a radiator to find out that the over flow tube is pointing the wrong way?
I just got my new aluminum radiator in today and its pointing towards the front of the mini. :-[
Is there another British car with a radiator made this way or did I just get one that was welded wrong?

The one I got a few back was made that way. Still fit, just looks a bit odd.

94touring

I haven't ran into that yet.  Today it got up to 96 and the car barely makes it without overheating.  Ac sure would be a nice addition right about now.

Mudhen

Happy to move that for you if you're local.  Not a professional by any stretch but have a TIG welder.   77.gif

Jims5543

Once again Dan creates peer pressure, even emailing me taunting me to buy one too.

I do not think mine overheats but I decided to play it safe and order one too, at a price like that hard to turn down a little extra insurance.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Lol you did the right thing.  That was too good of a deal. 

Jims5543

Took old blue to the shop and swapped it for the Mini, drove the Mini hope so I can wash it and get it ready for the AC reinstall.

I put a piece of cardboard under it (because British) and go in the house.

I come back out and there are some green spots on the cardboard right below where the water pump would be.

Super!!

94touring

Lol you remember 3 hours ago when I emailed and said nows a good time to do the water pump cause they go bad every handful of years...Yeah gbcarparts.com has several big bores for 36 doll hairs.  Get on it. 

Jims5543

Yes, and I responded that I was just going to replace the water pump with the engine.  Since the engine will not die, I guess I am changing the water pump now.

94touring

It probably won't ever die

94touring

just stumbled across this...

94touring

Rad and fan ready but still waiting on the new pump. 

MiniDave

Wow, that's a big fan - if that combination doesn't cool it I don't know what will!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's a 50mm 2 core rad and the fan is 10 inches with the thermoswitch kit.  Looks like everything will fit without a problem, albeit fairly tight against the inner wing.

Aside from this today I tried to figure out what the deal with my wiper motor is.  Completely disassembled it but can't get it to work.  I suspect the plug on the motor.  It was pretty rusty and ratty looking.  Plugged it in the other mini to see if it was wiring on my car but it's definitely the motor.  Was pretty close to buying new bushes, plug, and wire harness section to rebuild it, but I might as well just buy a new motor and call it a day.  Except new motors are currently out of stock.  Rain X till then I suppose.

Not sure if I mentioned earlier but I have new door cards coming in, new headliner, and putting in a new carpet set.  Engine bay is getting dressed up too.  Also been in talks about doing a stage 3 or 4 head at some point along with putting together a dual carb setup and exhaust.       

Merlin

Yea, or you could rob parts from the one that is in my garage that I allocated to you ages ago.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Build the engine and let me steal that, lol.  Do you have a wiper motor, is that what you're saying?

Merlin

Yes. Its a single speed, but if you need the switch, its in working order.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Yeah I only have a single speed switch actually.  We'll take a look tomorrow perhaps. 

94touring

Putting in this radiator.  Just did a volume comparison between the stock rad and the new one.  36oz compared to 66oz.  Nearly double!

jedduh01

Where can one purchse / order one of these monsters?

94touring

The E of Bays.  50mm.  It was $80 shipped.  Got it fitted.  I did a little modifying to fit the fan.  It was about a half inch too thick on the front.  Rather than slide the fan back I cut a few grates and pulled the metal back the small amount I needed.  I also cut out a section of the lower rad on the front to give direct entry air to the radiator.  The thermoswitch keeps leaking on me hence the atv everywhere. 

94touring

Well my parts supplier has new wiper motors in stock.  At $45 I decided to buy a new unit. 

MiniDave

Smart move....

Does this car have  single or two speed wipers?

My 1980 Clubby has two speeds, but still no park feature, let alone intermittent....I'm going to find an aftermarket intermittent set up I think. I should get to that right after I install the cruise control I bought last year!  ::)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad