Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

They didn't start the dyno run till 3k.  It was an instant 115tq and 75hp.

Also they stopped at 6k as I did on mine.  105hp vs my 80 at 6k and 90 ft lbs vs my 70 ft lbs.

94touring

Well some more Aldon gremlins.  1st one I figured out, but if you look at my boost column you'll see in vacuum advance figures and boost it shows numbers like 255.  When I build up that column it should be -2, -4, -6 and so forth to retard timing under boost.  Load it into the box and after rebooting the car it showed up with the 250 numbers, which would be one hell of an advance curve.  The guy who works at Aldon on this thing is out of the office till next week sometime to answer questions.  So I decided to blow into the vacuum line going to the unit to simulate boost while the car was idling and sure enough it takes out timing.  Why it shows those huge numbers is anyone's guess. 

2nd problem however is an ignition cut sorta speak when i'm cruising at high rpms above 4k.  Doesn't do it driving slow and hasn't done it on any hard pulls up to 6k.  Cruising back and forth to the shop doing 65-75mph above 4k rpms about every 6 miles it will momentarily drop 2k rpms for about 2 seconds, and then back to life again.  Looked over all the wiring and even swapped in another coil just to see if this new 60k volt 1.5ohm monster was faulty. 

94touring

94touring

Turbo air filter has arrived.  The water injection nozzle will tap into the end of it nicely.

MiniDave

Does that plenum have a bell mouth on the inside like a stub stack?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

No need for stub stack on a turbo setup.  However plenums require a (can't think of the name) structure by the carb inlet inside the plenum that reduces pressure by a few psi so fuel flow works out properly.

MiniDave

Is that a water cooled turbo, or oil only? If only oil, are you going to add an oil cooler?

I have several if you need one.

Where did you get the metal intake gasket?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Oil only.  I didn't want oil and water. Simple is better.  I might add an oil cooler at some point.  I'm more likely to add an aux radiator.  Gaskets came with the turbo.  I bought an extra set off ebay for cheap too.  Plenum should be in today looks like.

94touring

CB Performance black box was back in stock....bought one.  I can use this Aldon on the bus if I decide or vice versa. 

Also had been contemplating a 5 speed.  However the general consensus after doing a fair amount of research, and even reading what Minispares says on their products, I'll make too much torque for the 5th gear overdrive to reliably work.  I may swap my 3.10 gears back in. 

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

94touring

Software included with the black box lol.  Has wiring diagrams and other useful information on the disc.  Loads right up and they have some base maps, designed for vw bugs/busses, but pretty close to what the mini needs and gives me something to work with.  This is a screenshot of a 10psi base map.  Top of the map is vaccum to full boost, rpms down the left side.  Very easy. 

94touring

Intercooler piping, downpipe pipes for custom fitting, and the water injection kit ordered.  That finishes off the rest of what I needed to buy.  Got the black box installed under the dash but ran out of time yesterday on finishing up the wiring.

94touring

The cbperformance black box was a success.  No more funky ignition cutting randomly. 

94touring

Almost a success lol.  I did eventually get it to work but here's a big mystery solved in the ignition box world...  The black box didn't have the random ignition cut like the amethyst did which was lovely for driving.  However, after setting it up, verifying timing, and taking it for a spin, I found I was getting ignition kickback on start.  Also, with the laptop disconnected it wouldn't start every time.  Maybe half the time.  Cbperformance actually answers emails and helps diagnose problems unlike Aldon.  Spent yesterday troubleshooting with the guru over there.  We concluded probably some hf interference.  I'm willing to bet that's why the amethyst didn't work also.  Ordered a cheapo 59d points dizzy last night as a final hail Mary attempt. I have a 59d electronic spares dizzy I've been using.  Needed to move the mini when I got to the shop to get the bus out.  Well the fuggin starter broke!!  The kickback kicked it into oblivion.  Luckily for me I have this spool gun for aluminum, granted I can't weld for shit with it but the welds are strong.  Fixed that.  Then decided to go digging in the parts swamp out back.  Found a 59d dizzy!  Filled with dirt, grease, and looked to be 100 years old.  Took it apart, cleaned it up, and damned if the car didn't fire right up, half assed starter and all.  Then I took the dizzy back out and locked it out per these fancy ignition boxes.  Wired it up for the black box and voila, fired up and with no kick back or without the use for the laptop!  Since the Blackbox is superior in mapping compared to the amethyst it's staying in the mini and the bus will get the amethyst once it's new dizzy arrives...which happens to be electronic so I may be doing points on it if it gives me fits.

MiniDave

I'll dig into my old spares and see if I have a bad starter like that, if so all you have to change is the nose.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That would be great cause I couldn't find another housing.

MiniDave

According to what I can find, this is the right one.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Mine was for sure due to the ignition kicking back.  High compression motor and the weak point was the end of the starter.  I'm just glad I didn't loose flywheel teeth!

MiniDave

According to that post on TMF, several have had issues with the new starters, all breaking the same exact way as yours did. When you get it you should compare this one that is a genuine Rover starter to yours to see if your copy is made differently somehow.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on October 15, 2020, 11:59:19 AM
According to that post on TMF, several have had issues with the new starters, all breaking the same exact way as yours did. When you get it you should compare this one that is a genuine Rover starter to yours to see if your copy is made differently somehow.
Yeah looks a lot like internal damage similar to Propeller sudden stopppage and (reverse) overtorque. Engine inertia reversing direction due kickback.