Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Quote from: 94touring on October 12, 2018, 03:30:22 PM
Whoot! High cruise dialed in.  I was hanging in the upper 15s to low 16s here at first but after many small tweaks to the needles got it down into the 14s at cruise.  WOT is nicely in the upper 12s from 3-6k rpms.  I still have a pig rich spot WOT from real low rpms to 2800rpms.  Doesn't seem to be anything I can do for this.  Partial throttle in that area to 3/4 throttle is perfect, so maybe I just don't floor it bogged down sub 3k rpms.  All in all couldn't be happier.  I think filing needles is the way to go to get the perfect tune, in conjunction with the wideband.  Vizard does it the same way when he talks of needles.  Start with a lean needle and work it down.

I don't know what dashpot oil you're using, but if you're using the 20W SU damper oil, try going down to 15W or even 10W synthetic motorcycle fork oil.

KC wrote a dandy article once upon a time ago, including cool info on SU dampers.  Back in the day, I 'highlighted' certain paragraphs in red for my own edification.

By the way, where did you get those tires?   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Tires came from American Racer.  You have to call and place the order.  They're affordable too!

John Gervais

Cool - I'll check 'em out.  I wonder how they compare to the Yoko's and if they're up to the rigors of racing...

Edit - holy cow - which ones are those???
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I had downloaded their catalog from the website and found them under mini.  The part number they used to find them was the same as the sticker on the tire.  They are for race and boy oh boy do they stick to the road.  They're wider and as sticky if not more than an 032R. 

Edit: mounted side by side to 008s.

John Gervais

Ah, ok - I didn't download the catalogue, only looked at tarmac, street etc...  I'll give it another shot - the race shop might be interested in 'something different'. 
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I ordered myself an inno style sump guard. Much lighter than the standard guard.  My sump only sits about 4 inches off the ground so I figured I better protect it.

94touring

Sump cover on and finally got around to putting my lower engine stabilizer back on.  Also hooked up the wipers and heater box electricals.  Almost fully functioning again.

gr8kornholio

Where did you get the sump guard?  Going to need that heater. Getting any white stuff up there?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Got it from spares. Put it in an order of 66 parts I needed.  We missed out on the white stuff today but it's freezing cold out.

94touring

Today was the first time using the aftermarket heater box.  Since its in the 40s today and I was out making tuning runs with no windows in yet, I needed all the heat I could get.  The verdict is in, it pumps out tons of heat!  My feet and legs were warm, while my face was battered cold due to no windows.  I imagine it will cook me out once the glass/poly is all in.

94touring

Took some time to fix up a pair of seats to match my black theme.  Came out perfectly.

MiniDave

You are def getting the hang of this - those look great!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

FINALLY made time to put windows in the door conversions.  Also popped the rear glass and put some plastic back there too.  Will try and do the rear quarter windows tomorrow.  All part of the weight savings program.  I also got around to color sanding and buffing the roof I goofed up with massive orange peel. 

MiniDave

Now at least you can drive it without freezing your nads off!

Rear plexi looks great, it will be interesting to see how well it holds up to scratches and such, and whether you get distortion looking thru it, especially at night. Not that we drive these cars much at night!

Top looks smooooooth!

Hang on........the pleats in the back seats are vertical, and the fronts are horizontal?  8.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I figured I'll have to replace them every so often due to scratches but maybe not.  I went with .093 thickness on them which is rather thin.  The section with the side mirror flexes too much at speed, so I'll buy a .22 piece for it.

94touring

Rear quarter windows are in.  Doing them with thin poly really makes it easy compared to actual glass.

Felt like I went backwards today a bit.  I've been battling a high idle for some time now, mainly after I've driven it.  It will hang around 1200 to as high as 1500 and no idle screw left to lower it. So off with the filters, got a mirror, and inspected my butterflies.  Some time ago I had them off to do vizard mods, which included halfing the spindle the valves sit on. In doing so the beveled screws sit kind of funky on the valves. I remember it being tricky to keep it all aligned due to this.  Had I been smarter at the time I would have bought flat top screws.  Anyhow my suspicion was correct and the valves weren't sealing as good as they needed to.  Also the one carb casting had a pit right where the valve closes, so it got filled too. Carbs out, hardware store trip, valves adjusted.  It now can be lowered so much it dies, which is a good problem to have.  More updates in the tuning thread to come...

94touring

Minor catastrophe.  Spit a pad on the rear when the bottom stud that holds the pad on, backed off, allowed the pad to swivel on the top stud, busted off with blunt force trauma, bending the top stud in the process.  Luckily wasn't in an emergency braking situation when it happened.  Locktight on the studs next go around.

MPlayle

Looks like it scored the rotor pretty heavily as well.

94touring

Rotor isn't so bad really but I ordered new anyways.  I may just use it the way it is.  In the meantime to get myself in and out of the garage I put a piece of wood in as the pad.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on March 15, 2019, 11:36:51 AM
Rotor isn't so bad really but I ordered new anyways.  I may just use it the way it is.  In the meantime to get myself in and out of the garage I put a piece of wood in as the pad.

Haha.  Very clever.  The street cars in San Francisco use blocks of wood as a braking medium.  If you ride in back, or stand on the rear deck there's a distinctive smell when they brake.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Went back to the scene of the crime and found the pad.

MPlayle

Good to have been able to recover the pad.

The face of the brake material on that pad really looks bad - almost like it cooked or blistered instead of the usual smooth surfacing.  I've not seen a pad surface looking like that before.

94touring

I'm guessing it shattered exiting the hub assembly.  Another possibility is traffic drove over it all day.  I had to run out into a busy highway to get it.

94touring

After some research I've discovered the brake pads used on the kad rear disc kit are the same pads used on a Suzuki RM 80 bike from the early 90s.