Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

94touring

Ok this fits.  Barely. 

Played with needles today.  The AAM was perfect at any cruise speed, but WOT is about 1:5 too rich for max power.  Slapped in the AAA and it was slightly lean at high cruise and also 1:5 too rich at WOT.  Will use this data to narrow down another needle combo. 

Valve stems came in and work!

MiniGene

How involved is the process to replace/adjust needles?  Can you do it with the carbs in place, or do they have to come out?

94touring

Quote from: MiniGene on October 25, 2018, 09:46:19 PM
How involved is the process to replace/adjust needles?  Can you do it with the carbs in place, or do they have to come out?

It's easy, takes a few minutes.  All you're doing is unscrewung 3 bolts that hold the dashpot housing on.  You pull it off the piston, I cap the tube on the piston that holds the dashpot oil, set the carb sprng aside, pull piston out loosen the sceew that holds the needle to swap in a new needle, then reverse order to reassemble.

MiniDave

The needle has to go back in till the boss is flush, even with the dashpot piston surface.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Here's something interesting..  I am adjusting everything on the carbs since I'm fabbing up this new air filter setup.  My throttles have been opening 90-95% instead of full open.  Whether or not that effects power a lot I don't know, but can't help.  Opening 100% now.

Wrapping up the ITG filter.  It's tight tight tight.  Couple things I had to do to make this work.  You can't get the filter on over the ram pipes with the carbs on the engine.  You can't pre assemble and put it all on at once either.  Also can't adjust the jets with the filter on.  So what I did was line everything up, put studs in the ram pipes using tension pin which is tight on the ram pipes and filter base to hold them together. I also used some strong adhesive to make double sure the ram pipes and pins stay together on the base plate.  I drilled out the carb slightly larger for the pins to line things up.  Now that the ram pipes and filter assembly are one big piece, it simply slides on the carb and is bolted down through the ram pipes like normal.  I have allen head  bolts to bolt down since getting a wrench in there is impossible also.   Can't utilize this space more than this!

Vikram

Where does your oil pressure line attach to the block? You seem to be running a braided line back to the filter where the typical oil pressure line attaches right?

Edit: ugh never mind, I'm blind. What is that braided line for then?

94touring

Quote from: Vikram on October 26, 2018, 02:44:24 PM
Where does your oil pressure line attach to the block? You seem to be running a braided line back to the filter where the typical oil pressure line attaches right?

Edit: ugh never mind, I'm blind. What is that braided line for then?

Braided line replaced the hard line to the oil filter.

MiniDave

But that looks great, and it looks big enough that it will flow well around the bells of the ram pipes. Is that the 15" base plate?What's that loop between the carbs in the first pic?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

12" base plate.  The 15 got sent back.  That loop is the choke cable.  Lots of breathing room!

MiniGene

Quote from: 94touring on October 26, 2018, 04:42:25 AM
Quote from: MiniGene on October 25, 2018, 09:46:19 PM

It's easy, takes a few minutes.  All you're doing is unscrewung 3 bolts that hold the dashpot housing on.  You pull it off the piston, I cap the tube on the piston that holds the dashpot oil, set the carb sprng aside, pull piston out loosen the sceew that holds the needle to swap in a new needle, then reverse order to reassemble.

Interesting.  I had never replaced a needle before and always thought you had to pull the entire carb out.

94touring

Yah wheels and tires! Smaller diameter, wider, and 2lbs and a hand full of oz lighter each after it was all said and done.  The less diameter opens up some fender gap, but they sure as heck can't rub now.  Probably an equation to see how the diameter effects gearing too.  3.44 to a 3.54?

MiniDave

OMG, raised white letters - haven't seen those since the 70's.....but then this car is a 70's child too, isn't it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Should've painted them blue, that's the rage right now.  Lol.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Took it for a test drive on both the new wheels and 60k volt coil.  Thing zings right along smoother than snot.  Roads were kind of wet so didn't push it but it feels really good cruising along.  In fact could probably stiffen the shocks up a click if I wanted. Speedo read 5 off prior and now reads 10 off according to the gps. 

BruceK

looks really good with those wheels and tires!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Vikram

Looks awesome, those lower profile tyres are slick too...

94touring

They work good at cleaning the shop floors. 

94touring

It decided to dry up outside so I adjusted the height, tweaked tire pressure and went for a drive.  According to my GPS and some rough math using online calculators, my gear ratio is around 3.65 with these tires.  Tops at at 90mph at 6k rpms anyways.  Accelerates like a bat out of hell and sticks to the road.  I pushed it as hard as I feel comfortable and not so much a squel from the tires or wiggle in the ass end.  I actually could use seats with side supports if I'm being honest.  These tires soften the ride a good amount but it doesn't feel sloppy at all. 

gr8kornholio

That's one thing I love about my cobra classic buckets, but they are for narrow people only and the wife isn't fond of them, but she's also not as fond of taking intersection corners approaching 45 either  71.gif 9.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Bikewiz had sent some car covers to me.  I'm just now getting around to opening the box.  This is fricken snazzy.   Will work great downtown under my patio/garage where dust and dirt plaster my cars.

94touring

About to test the gapless plugs.

Edit: zoomed in on the vid from my phone and I see these spark multiple spots at once. 

94touring

They work and they work good!  I base this solely off of my rear view mirror not bouncing around at cruise now.  The 60k volt spaceship coil and spaceship plugs really did make a difference as far as how smooth the car is.  It's noticeable.  Once I dial in the needles better I'll see what the difference on the dyno is.