Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

gr8kornholio

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

94touring

Weight results tomorrow.  I think the bag of lugnuts weigh more than a wheel.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

10x6.  The American racer tires will fit perfectly. 

94touring

MPlayle

What is the brown band around the middle?

94touring

The silicon beed that joins the two halves.  It's a 3 piece rim.  I can change out the center to different styles and colors.

MiniDave

It seals the halves so you can run tubeless
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I was unsuccessful yesterday getting tires mounted.  Turns out these have a special valve stem that no one carries.  Force sent lug nuts but no valve stems, so a quick email later got the particulars on what is needed.  The UK version of race stems were rather expensive, like $50 for 4 valves.  I found some race valves off jegs for $28 shipped for a pack of 5.  Basically need a hole diameter just shy of 7.5mm.  Maybe next week...

MiniDave

Thousand dollar wheels don't include valve stems? And they require a special type too? sheesh

Gotta pay to play I guess. ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That would be my only gripe.  It would have been nice to include the valves or at least give me a heads up what size I need.  I wasted half a day trying to find a place that could do it. 

gr8kornholio

Yea 10" wheels and special sized valve stems.  That's a tough find.  There is only one place on the north end of the Dallas metro area I found that can handle 10" tires/wheels.  If I remember I'll weigh mine when I get home cause they feel light.

MiniDave

My car has these really nice metal ones - I wonder where you get them?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The style I ordered is similar to that.  They are "high pressure metal clamp" style that fit a 7.5mm hole.  Most standard wheels are nearly twice the diameter hole.  I learned a lot about valve stems today lol.

MiniDave

Yeah, 7.5mm (less than 5/16") is really small, almost bicycle sized......probably weigh less too  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Space invaders coil came in.  Here it is for size.

BruceK

Is it wrong I want to blast that with a laser?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Sharks with fricken laser beams on their fricken heads.

BruceK

That coil would look so much better if you mounted where you couldn't see it!  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

So don't mount it on the bonnet as a hood ornament? 

BruceK

Well, if you are looking to make a theme car...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

thebluepotato

Quote from: 94touring on October 18, 2018, 05:54:08 AM
I was unsuccessful yesterday getting tires mounted.  Turns out these have a special valve stem that no one carries.  Force sent lug nuts but no valve stems, so a quick email later got the particulars on what is needed.  The UK version of race stems were rather expensive, like $50 for 4 valves.  I found some race valves off jegs for $28 shipped for a pack of 5.  Basically need a hole diameter just shy of 7.5mm.  Maybe next week...

I had same issue with my MB racing 3 piece rims....just found the right size on Amazon and they are stubby.  Just measure and get some off Amazon.  Also, make sure you CHECK all those hex nuts on your rims before mounting for correct torque before using.  Uber important.