Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Color looks great under the fluorescents, how does lit look in sunshine?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Really good, maybe better!   4.gif  I am very happy with my color choice.  I will need to redo the right quarter at some point to get the light spot I missed down low.  But for now, just want it running and touch ups can come later.  I have a small running list of parts on order as I think or find items.  Like all builds I placed about 6 orders over the past month in the completion phase. 

94touring

Put Grundy insurance on it.  Agreed value of 25k and yearly payment of $193.  Headed home from work today and driving tomorrow!  Master cylinder first of course. 

Vikram

Agreed value of 25k and yearly $193????

That is a great insurance package! I guess you have a good history with them of no claims?

I paid $1300 a year with geico, and no agreed value. First car and first insurance...glad nothing happened to it!

Not looking forward to what the premium will be in the UK. But I have some work planned for it, so hopefully it will have a fair agreed value.

Your car looks great as I said, how are you finding the rear discs? Do you have adjustable front/rear bias?

gr8kornholio

Sounds about right on the insurance.  You have to go with a collector car type insurance not just regular auto policy.  My agreed value is $20K and think my premium is $120 a year.  Only "restrictions" are not to always commute in it and 5K mile a year. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Yep collector insurance.  Can't use as a comutter but can drive it as much as I want really.  I selected 5-7500 miles a year which is more than I realistically do.  Must stay garaged and I listed both garages it lives in.

Vikram, just running stock brake bias on the rear subframe.  I'll know more tomorrow if it's braking too much in the rear. 

gr8kornholio

Did they ask for an odometer reading?  Mine didn't and I even brought it up and she said don't worry about it.  77.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Vikram

Now I know about the insurance!

Looking forward to hearing about your test run. If you could manage a video, I'm sure many of us would watch it...

MPlayle

Most of the classic/collector car insurance outfits require you to have another regular car with a normal insurance policy on it as well.

There may be some that will do a stated value policy on your primary car, but then you would be up against the "non-commuter" requirement.

94touring

Exactly.  Buying my work truck effectively lowered my monthly bills by being able to put the other cars on classic insurance.

MiniDave

My Jag and my Mini together are just over $300/year with Grundy - not bad. My MINI and Audi are over $300/year each!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Spent most of the day tweeking suspension and getting carb springs setup.  The return springs were stiff and making the throttle a bit on-off sorta speak.  I ended up stretching them too much and it wouldn't return properly, and idle high.  Grabbed the springs off my hs2's and it's much better, though still a bit ON initially, but that's ok for now.  Took it out for a few miles test run and everything is in tact and running well.  Exhaust hangs too low and needs adjusted.  Did some 50% throttle runs through the gears and it pulls nicely.  Shifts smooth and sounds aggressive but not obnoxious. 

Oh and the new master solved the mushy brakes.  I had the old oit and new in with cotter pin in 10 minutes flat, possibly a new world record.  Took a fair amount of bleeding and I may do it again after some miles.  Rears are balanced nice with the fronts and don't lock up. 

Did 1.25 negative camber in the front and negative .5 on the rear, though one side needs some dremeling to get it all the way to .5, it's maxed out at 1.0 for whatever reason.  Set shocks mid stiffness on the front and a couple clicks softer on the rear.  Isn't bouncy and feels smooth, even with red dot cones. 

Need gas before I can really go driving. 

Edit: also after some reading and just observation on the adjustable rear camber brackets, added a bolt to make double sure they don't dedide to slide loose and go full negative mid drive.  The adjusting screw that slides the bracket up and down actually begins to bend the bracket about where the bolt is I added.  This keep it all snug and together.

94touring

Did a few drives today, racking up about 100 miles.  My method of break in is basically various throttle positions with no steady state rpms for any length of time.  Discovered some new roads while I was out.  On the 3rd drive I began to open it up full throttle for a few runs.  It's fast!  Really burst through the gears.  If it's tuned poorly now, still "tight", and the dyno provides a few more ponies it will just be icing on the cake.  Drove it hard on some curvey sections. This new setup is REALLY sweet.  The unsprung weight in conjunction with having things adjusted properly has transformed the car.  My race wheels are being made and will ship out soon, which should further improve handling and acceleration.   

Breather hole off the clutch housing spewed oil everywhere so I fabbed up a breather. Problem solved.

94touring

94touring

Vikram

4.gif Bet it felt much faster! How does the light flywheel feel, is it a noticeable difference?

MiniDave

Good question, I forgot to ask about that too!

91 mph at what RPM?

so fast it drove 2 months into the future!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 28, 2018, 10:36:54 AM

so fast it drove 2 months into the future!   ;D

Dude. Once you go past 88mph that's when time travel happens. Ive seen it in a movie so I know it's real. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

1.41 jigawatts of power. 

Regarding the flywheel, it's very easy to drive so you don't even think about it.  The other thing is the old 998 was so slow in comparison I can't begin to compare.  My tach doesn't arrive till the 3rd I believe so not sure where I was rpm wise.  I'm probably shifting early is my guess.  It doesn't even sound the same as before, especially with the velocity pipes howling.  It's got a lot of pull in the midrange area, it's noticeable in the pants.  Punching it out of turns is a lot of fun, whereas before I'd just be full throttle all the time on our spirited drives. 

Vikram

Is your full engine spec anywhere on the forum? I'd like to read through it if possible.

MiniDave

40 over 10:1 compression pistons, 266* cam, light flywheel and clutch, KC head - stage 2 (?) twin HS4's and a lot of careful assembly and tweeks.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Stage 3 going on 4 head.  1.4 lifters, lightening duplex chain, electric dizzy with 16 settings, flamethrower coil, maniflow headers and fancy intake manifold to compliment carbs and velocity pipes.   

Vikram

Great thanks. Is that 266 Kent, Swiftune or something else?

94touring