Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

MiniDave

Wow, it's been 2 1/2 years since that motor hit my shop! Glad to see it finally in a car. 77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's been 10+ years since it's been in a car!

Front end sitting a bit high with these red dot cones. Threw in 240lbs of sand in hopes it settles.  Otherwise I'll have to take the locking washer off the hi-los, which I'd like to avoid. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on June 27, 2018, 11:21:54 AM
That rear disc brake setup looks sweet!

One thing I instantly like about it, aside from cool factor and the fact the rear subframe is dramatically lighter...no drag associated with drum brakes now. 

MiniDave

I think you need to change the thread title, this is hardly a mild refurb!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on June 28, 2018, 07:34:46 AM
I think you need to change the thread title, this is hardly a mild refurb!  ;D

Ha, I know. I think Playle said the same thing several pages back.  It's been a 3 year documentation on the evolution of a daily driver to a full on build.

94touring

Wrapped up paint today, minus flares.  In fact one quart of this new lessanol paint I've been spraying mixed 2:1 was nats ass the amount that was required for this job.  I'll have to mix an 1/8th for the flares, though considering black.  Mininal color sanding required which is always nice.  Did miss a minor ding on the one door, but it's in a spot I'm betting my dolly set can push back straight.  I fixed a couple dents on the body pre-spray that came out flawless.  Also finished up hard lines for haudralics, got the headers and carb in.

94touring

Doors are on and everything matches up, except the bottom of the right rear quarter panel I went light on the paint.  So will have to hit that area again.  Didn't notice till everything was on and the garage door was open. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ha, yeah it's wierd cause it's as if I painted the whole car but completely missed a 6x12 inch section.  Standing above or to either side you'd never know.  Stand back 10 feet and it's like what happened.  I may respray the one door now to sand out a couple minor ripples left over from pushing out a ding.  Need touchup paint anyways since I'm flat out.

MiniDave

You're so close on this one, you should just go ahead and finish it, one car out of the way in the shop? Plus then you get to start driving it and breaking it in so you can make the dyno day.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Getting there.  Been pretty busy with 66 and 65.  Wanted to get out there today but I'm under the weather.

94touring

94touring

Tried a new adhesive.  My 3m 88 ran out so I took it up a notch with industrial strength.  This is where it's at, even has an adjustable nozzle and with the spray pattern easier to hit the lip.   Headliner came out flawless.

94touring

Made a lot of progress the past couple days.  After a bit of fiddling, misinformation online, and a phone call to Dave, I have power to the starter.  Having an old style harness and then installing  the pre engaged starter with new engine made that a small annoyance.  I have spark and everything inside pretty much wired up.  Need to finish off lights to verify it all actually works, then induce some fuel and see how it sounds!

MiniDave

Take a vid of it, at least of the first run up the block!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

We have noise!  Blew a coil so don't think that I run two at a time. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ha, so true. 

Also...  come to find out it needed cut for the new headers but still.

94touring

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Color looks good.  What's your best guess on how much it is going to weigh?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I think he said he's taken about 400lbs out?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad