Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

All righty then, Dan had a long day,.....he got Stan's Mini all loaded on the new trailer and made it to my house by 10:30 Am. We fired up the motor for the blue car and ran it for a bit, then realized it was going to have to cool off before we could disassemble it from the engine stand, so we ran a few other errands and had lunch at a local BBQ place then headed back to the house. We got the engine out of the stand and loaded in the back of his truck, reattached the trailer to the truck and he's headed south and home.

Once I get back from the CMU event I'm ready for the next engine build!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

An afternoon of brushing on por-15. Turned out nice.  Will be putting a new water pump on without the bypass.  Then I can fit the rest.

Willie_B

MiniDave

Looks kinda Chevy orange in that pic.......I like it!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It reminds me of the cover photo of David Vizard's old Mini book.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Ha yeah it does Bruce.

Very much red.  The aluminum paint on the gearbox and clutch cover turned out very slick looking.

gr8kornholio

Looking good. Excited to see one in black  ;D

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Black paint is ready to go on it! I think next week spring will stay consistently warm to finally finish off all the blasting too.

gr8kornholio

Yea all I've got done here is cleaning off the frames. Need to get them painted.

94touring

Back to the air filter situation.  I was initially concerned with airflow with sock filters on my ram pipes, then Dave confirmed it with the guy running the dyno day.  So that won't work.  Finding a filter that works with my setup is nill.  Custom work it is.  Thought perhaps going with my stub stack mod setup but fitting a taller filter.  My ram pipes are 2.5 inches tall, so ideally a filter in the 4 inch height range.  Not being home or even having an engine installed in any minis at the moment makes calculations tricky.  I know a standard pancake filter base and lid are 5.37 inches in diameter.  This 4 inches tall will surely not fit just eye balling pictures.  What I've come up with is buying alloy plate disc 3.5 inches in diameter, which I can shift accordingly before cutting out the hs4 openings.  Then clamping a filter to the disc base.  Found a k&n filter with some specs that I'm thinking will work.  I really need to test fit and finalise measurements before dropping money on $90 worth of filters though.  Couple pics as references to my thinking.  The socks are about 4 inches tall, so maybe 6 inches mounted on the bell.  They just barely brush up against the body. 

94touring

Test fit the carbs on my clubman and verified the cone filters will fit.  The round disc came in and I promptly cut them to match up to an hs4.  However, I got carried away with the offset for extra clearance and didn't consider the bell of the velocity stacks being in the way of the filter where it tapers to the top.  So need to cut a couple new disc.  Luckily they're only a few bucks each.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The disc for the air filters to mount to.  I need something round a hose clamp will clamp to.  The carb is as you know a funky shape.  I'll get pics once it's all done and official to show it off. 

94touring

Ok, have a winner.  Though the inner diameter of the filters were a tad narrow, so I reshaped the filters a bit so the inside clears the bell of the velocity stacks.

gr8kornholio

That's pretty slick.  Looks good too.

MiniDave

The main thing is he'll have filters....not running them means another overhaul in very short order. These should let his velocity stacks work properly too. According to the Prather Racing boys, you need clearance around the sides of the bells as well as over the top.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Took it a step further and cut the inner section of the rubber tops off and adhered the foam tops from the socks.

94touring

Now that Mark is blasted it's time to blast my floors. 

Rear seat belt and hardware removal.  -4 pounds.

94touring

There had to be 10lbs of undercoat removed.  Found a few areas of swiss cheese but nothing too crazy.  The previous overcill job, while ugly, will at least be sealed off good and tight now.

94touring

Floors are sealed and sealed.  Rust has no chance at these floors.  Por-15 is a little tedious with a brush but really does the job.

gr8kornholio

Looking good, those my doors in the background of the second pic?

94touring

Yep. 3 sets sitting there ready for work.

94touring

It's back off the rotisserie and floor masked off. Degreased the body and began prepping for paint.  Won't be much longer and ot will be rolling on the subframes.

94touring

Looks like I'm ready for paint.  Hoping to find time next week to get it sprayed.  Need to prep my doors, boot, and bonnet, but not a whole lot to them to be done luckily.