Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I need to sit down and go through my notes but it should be pretty significant.  Just yanked the stock heater and drained the sludge. Definetly buying the new and smaller unit.  According to the scale that's 7.5lbs saved.  I tried weighing a door but it maxed out my shop scale after 33lbs.  I believe they weigh about 41lbs but will verify tomorrow.  My spare door without glass and the winding unit was right at 25lbs and that was with a ton of bondo on a skin and some other nasty patches.  Once I deskin a door and cut the inner section out I'll have a better idea.  Rear glass and rear quarter glass weighed in at 22.75lbs.  I think the poly only weighs a few pounds. 

94touring

Differential was fine but appears something lodged itself between the gear and the case.

MiniDave

Looks like a chunk of gear, did you find the broken part?

With the HP increase and weight reduction, you're still going to want to do a cross pin diff, for strength......just a good insurance policy.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

94touring

Weighed the doors.  One was 42.6 and the other was 44 even.  It also has had some extensive bondo work so probably explains the extra weight.  The door conversion can make them as light as 12lbs a piece.

jedduh01

You'll have much fun with a Lighter car == almost contending with 'Moke Weight " as a comparable"

!  ~ 1200LBS roughly! Wet!

No doors= 1 glass = no interior  No Problem!

94touring

I think I've taken out in the neighborhood of 230lbs, plus rotational factor of over 300lbs. I'll tally it at the end.

Today tore apart the subframes to take off parts for rebuild. Also tore apart the tired and very dead 998.  Found an array of parts in the gearbox that had caused the carnage.  And the head had burnt a valve. 

Next week replace the cills and do a patch in the boot and begin prepping for paint. The paint job will go by quickly.  Probably going to wait for the door skins to arrive before I spray the exterior.  Should have it back togther relatively quickly.  Famous last words  4.gif

MiniDave

Never seen a rod change loose its shift linkage like this before......something musta come undone!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That gearbox always had issues too. Much like the rest of the car really lol.

Well massive parts order placed. The KAD purchase was tough hitting the submit button lol. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Luckily earlier in the day I dragged the old and super heavy rear subby to the parts garage on the side of the shop.  They are a handful built up if anyone has ever had to carry one 50 feet or so, then I reminded myself how lightweight it will soon be!   77.gif

Vikram

What are the KAD bits? Straight cut gears?

94touring

Alloy rear arms and rear disc conversion.  Purely for weight saving and unsprung weight. 

Vikram

Quote from: 94touring on February 15, 2018, 10:17:11 AM
Alloy rear arms and rear disc conversion.  Purely for weight saving and unsprung weight.

Oh man, rear discs sound awesome can't wait to see that come together.

94touring

Rear disc on a mini are actually overkill.  Good for bragging rights I suppose.  I do like not adjusting drums however.  Really just a way to save weight, both unsprung and rotational.

Bahowe1

I coulda bought a bronze/silver hand blown glass lampstand for that kinda change...
You're doing some serious load shedding on this guy.  Curious... how are you drawing the line where you are drawing it? 

94touring

Well basically the line is what's still comfortable for me and what can I afford right now.  Maybe adding a glass blown leg lamp hood ornament.

94touring

I should also say that I'm not doing anything so drastic it can't be reversed easily.  The metal boot and bonnet can be bolted back on, the glass and doors converted back, ect...  This was never a perfect and correct mini from the start so not a big deal to go a little crazy with it. 

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on February 15, 2018, 06:00:03 PM
This was never a perfect and correct mini from the start so not a big deal to go a little crazy with it.

This.   4.gif

Is there any Mini ever built, anywhere, where the above is not true?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

One more area of possible improvement and performance.....

I was driving my Classic across town and into a fierce wind from the south - which made for nice warm temps (my engine temps got up to "normal" for the first time since last Nov!) but also pointed out just how bad the aero is on these old cars.. Made me wonder if some improvements could be done like full underbody panels or front splitters etc to help with airflow over the car?

Whenever I hit a blast it was like a giant hand pushing the car back.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Based upon the snowplow (or should I say salt plow?  ;D ) on this land speed record Mini, it looks like one trick is to manage under body air flow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Right, which isn't particularly workable on a street driven vehicle, which is why I was leaning towards a splitter of some sort and full underbody cladding........this will be far more workable on my hot rod with the engine in the back and no exhaust running thru the middle of the car.

I also wonder if some small dive planes on the front corners would help - remember Priep's car had one - said it pulled enough extra air out from under the car or thru the fender to drop the engine temps 10-20*

I also wonder if an A panel vent of some sort would help draw air out from under the wheel wells/fenders? I dunno if any of this would make any difference, just exercising some thoughts.

I've seen aero studies done on the Mini, but they were are concerned with removing the seams and such......basically made almost no difference in the aero efficiency, but apparently did quiet the car some....which may be why they didn't bother de-seaming the LSR car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've thought about this some.  Only thing I've done for aerodynamics is remove the front plate and brackets.  Perhaps these bullet mirrors help a tad too.  Also, may be worth looking into the rear valance and if it acts as a parachute.

Bahowe1

I think you just glue some paper plates to the wheels. That should solve it all.