Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Had a few extra minutes today to fine tune.  Top end was dying off.  If I pulled the choke it would gain power, so a couple flats on each carb and top end is good now.  I feel like it idles rich, but not much I can do there right now.  I had initially setup static timing by setting it to 2k rpms, turning the dizzy till it increases, then back off 250rpms.  Well I picked up a timing gun the other day and went to set things today, but low and behold I have no timing marks.  I found tdc and made marks on the pulley and adjacent on the cover.  My static timing was actually set to 0 so I increased it my guestimate to 10 degrees.  It's not pinging and running great so I guess this will suffice.  Minidave I think you asked somewhere what I cruise at.  It cruises at 80 indicated now on a flat grade.  Maintains 70+ on moderate inclines and will do 90 going down the moderate inclines.  I feel pretty happy with how it's running.  Ball joints are on the to do list. 

MiniDave

Cool! I think mine idles rich too.....I'm at 8* static

Today I reinstalled my Miata seat, it is SO much more comfortable than the Mini seat.....mostly because I can move it back further and straighten my knee and ankle some.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

You should still have timing marks on the flywheel.  You'll have to swing the little oval cover off the viewing hole and use a mirror to reflect in to see them.  There is also a stationary pointer in there for TDC.  The timing marks on the flywheel are valid for #1 and #4 cylinders.

Here is what to look for:

94touring

The car about left me stuck the other morning.  It would appear the starter is gummed up.  Needs to be pulled and gone through.  I was able to push start myself in the parking lot  4.gif

MiniDave

Yeah, those early starters will do that, it's fairly easy to clean them up and get them working again. I used PTFE to lube them up once clean

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It tries to turn but can't quite get it.  Almost symptomatic of a dead battery but it's new with lots of juice. 

MiniDave

Might have a worn out bushing making the armature drag on the side of the coil, fairly easy to replace.

Let me look I might have an old spare......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'll try to look at it next week.  I've gotten bogged down with projects so it's in que. 

94touring

Eventually I'll get this battery sorted but till then I ordered hi-los for the saggy/rubbing suspension and the ball joints needed replacing in a bad way as well. 

MiniDave

Ball joints - is that why it was so darty? Don said it was scary at speed, it took a light touch on the wheel to keep it from changing lanes......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's very responsive compared to his truck and say your clubby.  The vtec handles pretty heavy.  The ball joints will just tighten it up a bit more. 

94touring

I should add it doesn't dart left or right on it's own, it simply takes very little input to make moves.  I did notice taking turns hard that hard braking leading into the turn the rear end would get wish washy on me as I began the turn.  Some of that is probably my old drums not being exactly the same and some other is probably camber related. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Had time to add hi los to the front today.  With my cousin and girlfriend in the back this morning we could barely drive it rubbed so bad.  In it right now testing the fronts and no more rubbing in sharp turns or bumps with a passenger.  Also added a pair of mini fins I had sitting around to the front. 

Side note:  cutting the front trumpets was quick and easy to add the hi los. 

Spitz

Just how cold is it there?  You're dressed like you live in SK

94touring

Spitz

I'm guessing you mean the old F scale.....that's only like -6....you're overdress...lol

94touring

Lol yes F scale.  That's my cousin driving. 

94touring

Front left wheel bearing died.  I've noticed some extra noise coming from the wheel area. Pulled the wheel off and found a pile of grease sitting on the drum...bearing heats up and grease squirts out.  And of course there's excess play in the assembly.  I suppose my disc conversion gets expedited now.

stan360

I am going to put disks on the front of mine also....Minispares sells  a few kits I have been eyeing.  Do you think that going with their in house calipers and disks would be a bad idea or maybe best to spring for the AP original items ?   

94touring

I've always bought their in house brand with no issues. Definitely less expensive!

Dmulder

Where did you order your hi/los from?  I'm looking at some on minisport called adjusta ride. Are these the same thing as hi/los?  After reading a thread about who people order from I'm not sure who to order through except I know not to trust mm.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MPlayle

The "Adjusta-Ride" kit is the same as Hi-Lo's.  The one thing to check is which size shank the knuckle joints need to be with those.  I seem to recall the "Adjusta-Ride" brand uses a knuckles joint with a thicker shank than the standard knuckle joints.

It looks like the full kit comes with the matched knuckle joints.

94touring

I ordered from minispares and used their knockoff hi los with standard knuckles. 

Dmulder

Have you considered going to the spring setup in place of the rubber cones?  Just wondering if you or anybody on here has done that and what their thoughts on it are?  Doing hi los in the next two weeks (probably not this week since it is Holy Week and I'm a pastor).
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."