Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Back in the day when tuning an SU by the seat of your pants on a Mini or any SU for that matter to save buying endless needles we used to move the needle up inside the piston to make it run richer through the range or out to weaken it.
Also the collar can be removed on the non fixed needles so they can be used as a fixed needle and vice versa.

94touring

I will move the needle up and down as well.  Saves me having to remove my huge filter box assemble to make small adjustments.

94touring

Making a few alterations. Haven't been incredibly happy with the fiberglass bonnet so acquired a steel skin.  The other thing on the other bonnet is the leather straps basically suck, so have some steel clips and some other hood buttons to secure it all down so it's not flopping around.   Also have a hif44 on the way to do some testing with. 

MiniDave

Well, you've been busy in the shop today!  77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hoping to have some things painted next week. 

94touring

Test fitment.  No more sloppy rattling bonnet. 

MiniGene

94touring

Getting the studs for the push buttons lined up perfectly is imperative.  Otherwise they put to much pressure across the bonnet and it binds up when you go to unbutton them.  To help aid in releasing the bonnet I added springs that sit over the studs so when you push the buttons the bonnet comes up and is easy to grab and sit to the side.  I added a rubber trim piece to the edges of the bonnet and can just sit it on the roof. 

94touring

No more warped and wobbly looking bonnet. 

94touring

Got the rest of the hardware on so I can actually drive it again.

MiniDave

So, how dies it run with the single carb?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've yet to really drive it.  Maybe tomorrow if I have time.

Vikram

Where are those push buttons and latches from Dan? Looks really good!

94touring

Push buttons are from ebay and spares sells the latches. 

94touring

MiniDave

Because 100hp is just not enough!  ;D

Good place to take the oil drain line is to tap the flat plate where the fuel pump used to go, then put a fitting in it - drains right into the sump. Or into the breather base on the drop gears housing...

When did you get the DSN engine steady?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Oh I've had the engine steady since building the car. 

gr8kornholio

I know it has the Dsn rear arms, they now have front upper arms.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

The rear radius arms are KAD along with their disc brake conversion.

Lone Star Mini

While y'all discuss hi-tech stuff, I'm just loving the color and the bonnet with those air vents...
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

So, what are you going to build the intake and exhaust manifolds out of? Start with a regular header and build from there or just go all in and start from scratch?

You'll want a laser or water jet cut flange plate for the head end, and I was thinking rather than having two separate manifolds, just weld it all up as one thing to bolt onto the head? An intake gasket would work fine for the template for the flange plate....just need to find a local shop that can cut it out for you.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Intake manifold will just be the standard hif44 hi flow style I currently have on there.  Exhaust manifold I have one to chop up, so I can use the flanges and it will be one piece manifold.  I have looked at several custom made and the one that jetmotors has.  Jetmotors I'd just buy and slap on except the one runner basically flows backwards...dumb.  I could buy it and modify it, but if I'm going to do that I'll make my own. Then I need to do a downpipe.

94touring

Some examples.  Mine will be cleaner like the jetmotors. 

MiniDave

Those pics illustrate my point exactly - why not make an intake manifold in the same tubular weld up? Especially if you're using FI it should be easy to do and a simpler final package. I understand it you're just going to use the std HIF44 might as well use the manifold too....

Those all look like they're going to use the SU in the original position and simply blow thru the carb mouth? I thought you had to pressurize the entire carb, but I guess not with the HIF44 design with the internal float chamber?

In the Jet Motors pic, can't you rotate the outlet side of the intake on the turbo to point pretty much anywhere? If so, I would eliminate the U-bend and make a simple 90 to the tube coming off the turbo going to the carb.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad