Then I broke down (74 mini mild refurb)

Started by 94touring, May 26, 2015, 11:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Time to get crackin on the subframe build. 

Also, engine steady saved .37lbs. Rear brake conversion saves a total of 10.5lbs compared to standard non spaced drums and 8lbs total rotational weight. 

Willie_B

I like it.
I am gathering parts for my moke build. No word on delivery but if I can have the subframes done by then would be nice. The engine will be a large bore 998 with a 4 syncro magic wand.

MiniDave

Wow, that's a bunch o parts for one tiny little car!

Are the metal brake lines a kit or do you order them individually?

2 different sizes of cones?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

More like 1 set of dirty red dot cones and 1 set of not dirty red dot cones. 

All brake lines I make myself. I buy a 25' roll and then the fittings.

These ended up being 10lbs lighter each than non spaced drums. 20lbs total for the arms and brakes. 

MiniGene

94touring

They are pure suspension sex appeal.  I was able to weigh a spaced drum and it's a total of 26lbs lighter than those.  Dave got to check them out and feel the difference when I was dropping off the engine.  Sounds like my protech shocks arrived but I'm sitting at the airport drinking coffee.  :(   

MiniGene

The entire arm assembly is 26lbs lighter?  I can't wait to hear how this thing accelerates and handles.

94touring

13 each side.  Basically half the weight of the stock setup.

MiniDave

They're made out of unicorn farts - lighter than air!   ;D

Doesn't hurt that it's all aluminium and shiny red bits and the other one is a rusty hulk!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Even if the performance isn't noticeable, they sure do look good!

94touring

Protech shocks are 1.25lbs lighter each.  5lbs total there!

94touring

Half a subframe together.  Figured out no hard lines required on the arms. The braided lines that came with the kit go there and my braided kit fills in the rest.

MiniGene

That looks great.  I'll bet with all the weight saving you'll be able to mount that on the car with one hand. Haha

MiniDave

I bought a complete rear subframe, with all the suspension and brakes on it. When I went to load it in the truck, the guy I bought it from picked it up like it was made of paper and set it in the back of the truck! He was no giant either, about the same size as me although clearly one of us is in better shape than the other! Those suckers are friggin heavy!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

All done with this guy.  Mark's old subframe to compare.  While it's not light enough to lift with one hand when re attaching, it's noticeably lighter picking it up vs the old one.

MiniGene

That pic brings up a question, what made you decide to go with the rubber suspension vs coil spring?

94touring

I wanted to keep the stock handling characteristics. Basically you never see race minis running springs.  I put in red dots to upgrade the stock rubber however.

94touring

Doing things a little out of order than how I normally do it. Should have the disc assemblies together soon enough though.

MiniDave

If everything goes smoothly you can plan to pick up the motor on Sat. Then all the mechanicals will be ready once the body is painted.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I work all weekends the rest of the month, so we'll have to find another time.

94touring

One side done. Should have the other side knocked out tomorrow. I even cleaned up and repainted the upper arm, steering arm, and hub. 

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on March 04, 2018, 05:05:35 PM
I work all weekends the rest of the month, so we'll have to find another time.

I'll let you know when it's done, then we can plan from there.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Front is done.  I removed so much rust flake and grime from the hub, it may as well be lightweight now. 

joakwin

those rear arms are sexy, super light weight

how much did the stock rear arms weigh?

I have tubular dom tube arms on my car, my arms with billet hubs are 13lbs each,
I didn't weight my set up with the rotors and calipers on the arms

Im using rear Honda del sol disc brakes, solid 9.4 inch rotors in the back

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

94touring

A stock bare rear arm comes in around 12lbs.  The kads are about 6.5lbs.  The whole assembly of kad vs stock rear with spaced drums was about 27.5lbs lighter total for both sides.  Then the shocks I picked out are 1.25lbs lighter each than the gaz I'd normally use.  Wheel tire combo I think will be somewhere between 3 and 5lbs lighter each vs my standard 10x6 with 008s mounted.  The rear subframe is noticeably lighter when lugging it around. I could sling it up on the bench with relative ease. The front subframe is still a beast but I did shave several pounds each side with the alloy drive flanges and 4 pots.

Edit: looking over my math.  Stock rears are about 27.5lbs each fully built with spaced drums.  The kad setup is almost exactly half the weight.