Oil smells like fuel

Started by bahoffe, May 22, 2009, 09:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahoffe

Bare with me guys first project car.  I just change the oil in my mini for the first time.  Took me a while to find out I had to pull the grill off to change the filter HAHA
Oh and I have a nice gash on my left hand from removing the drain plug.  Anyway the oil has a smell of fuel.  Is this common?  I have no idea when the last time the oil had been changed but it was black.

Ordering some new cone's tonight still trying to decide what wheels I want.  Thinking of going for 13x7's now and some new arches.

Have a good weekend,

Brian

94touring

Not too uncommon if you think about it.  Your oil seals on the pistons keep the oil from getting into the combustion chamber....so sometimes a little oil or fuel leaks in or out depending on your motors condition ect...  This also would indicate you could be seeing a little blue smoke from your exhaust while driving.   

scottb6058

I agree with 94touring not uncommon but if your still concerned you could send a sample out to be tested.
Scott
My idea with this big project is to take it back in time with the patina it deserves, some pitted chrome, all original brocade maybe a scuff or stain but all there.

mascher

When the mechanical fuel pump diaphram starts to break down it allows fuel to leak into the crankcase (gearbox). If the car is parked for a period of time nose down and has a leaky fuel float valve, fuel can run down the intake and past the rings. It's rare but I've done it. It's fairly unusual for the oil to smell of fuel since the operating oil temperature is high enough to boil off any small amount of fuel.

Cheers,

Kelley