Mini 56 in Cherokee NC April 15-18, 2015

Started by Jims5543, January 11, 2015, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

http://www.classicminis.org/mini56.htm

A local Mini friend of mine is twisting my arm to go to this. I might rent a dolly and drag the pickup up there. I will know for sure in March.

Just throwing this out there, if some Restoration guys are going I might be more influenced to go.   ;D
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Willie_B

I have done these CMU events since they started. It is 3 days of twisty 2 lane mountain driving in classic minis. I will be there.

MiniDave

I'm trying to work it out, I'll have to take a couple of days off from school to do it, so I'm a tiny bit up in the air about it right now. I have already sent in my money and reservation tho, and I have a number of friends (classic owners) making plans too. I'll know more in a few weeks once school gets going and I see how my class develops.

I'm also trying to plan a big summer vacation drive to maybe go to Mini Meet West this summer in BC, Canada.

Lots in the works......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Fastclown

I'll definitely do my best to be there! No excuses MiniDave, I'll be driving to Lithuania for the IMM two weeks after the Mini 56... OK, not to big a deal as I'll start in England.

Mike

MiniDave

Hey Mike, glad to see you here!  You know I've been pimpin Mini 56 every chance and every place I go online!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Fastclown

I don't post much more in the MM forum... It would be great to see another one grow like this.

Thanks for the CMU plugs, they just keep getting better! People don't understand it until they come to one, then they're hooked. I hope you can make this one!

Mike

Jims5543

FYI Just tried to book a cabin on the HOA website and all the cabins with bathroom are booked.  You can still rent cabins without bathrooms and use the community shower / bathrooms.   I will do some research this weekend and see if I can find a house or houses  to rent nearby.  They will not be nearly as cheap as the HOA deal.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

There are lots of hotel/motels in the area (although the event designated hotel is also already full), I figured to just get a hotel room nearby.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Plus 1 This guy - Trying now to decide if i want to fleet 2 minis again or just 1!
  Also have 3 probable other attendees from the Charlotte area with Mini's

Love these events and the fact they're in my back yard and VERY Affordable for a meet/ gathering is stupendous!

Time for me to confirm KOA Arrangements - Kabins are just great for a roof and a mattress + the showers at this KOA are VERY acceptable.  Or  _ tow and sleep in the wagon ???

Staying OFF site from the KOA Is fine - Figure the KOA is about 1 mile from Cherokee proper.
     But you'll probably be doing a bit more running around daily to get to the 8 - 9 AM drivers meetings. DONT BE LATE!!   Then back again in the afternoon for the Hangoouts / Socials / Swap meet  ETC.

Come come come!

MiniDave

Yes, well, from Charlotte you're just a hop and skip from home - relatively speaking.... ;D

For those of us coming from across the country it's a bit more of an effort.....

I'm seriously thinking of building a tow bar and flat towing mine.

Edit: Guido called the event hotel and it is not full, apparently you have to book over the phone cause when I tried to book online they it they were full those days. Same was true of the KOA, I tried to book online and it was full, when I called they had rooms....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Davisio

Believe it or not...... I am actually giving serious consideration to going to this as well.... Even may have a co-pilot lined up.

I'll get the hotel stuff ironed out when I get the car ready and I feel comfortable making the journey...

jedduh01

We all love pictures--- So here are some links to my Albums from Previous CMU Events!

Keep the interest Up!

Cheokee NC- April - 2012 Leaves just coming out- Perfect weather  ( I'm missing a BUNCH of photos somewhere) will find and upload more.

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/jedduh01/slideshow/Cherokee%20CMU%20Spring

And the Last event - Wytheville  - VA - CMU- FALL 2013

Oh yea - it was Chilly - Most of the event- 1 full day of rain - but Beautiful Terrain + drives! 

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/jedduh01/slideshow/Wytheville%20CMU%20FALL

MiniDave

Jedduh01,

Did you do the CMU event in Irving, Tenn?

A couple of my friends went on that one - a Red/white P'up and a Black/checkerboard top P'up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Quote from: MiniDave on January 20, 2015, 12:49:13 PM
Jedduh01,

Did you do the CMU event in Irving, Tenn?

A couple of my friends went on that one - a Red/white P'up and a Black/checkerboard top P'up.

YEP! The First CMU! I remember the P'ups ..!   that was a great inaugural event--  Drove to the mtns that night- Camped in a Tent- Woke up the next morning to Rich Exhaust fumes and A series Pitter Patters Warming up for the days run! Mini;s EVERYWHERE! 

Irving was Close to "Deals Gap"  216 Turns in 11 Miles -  Its very boring in a big group of cars - following and keeping from hitting everyone.. but that road  -  on your own with open Tarmac Free TO RIP! ...   Best road on the East coast, I went back both afternoons on my own - for my own redemption.

MiniDave

I've been down the Dragon many times, my daughter lives less than an hour from there......

Both those guys are planning to go to Mini 56 with me.....if I can arrange it with the school schedule I have this semester.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Davisio

Still haven't sent my form (and money) in [yet].
Putting the car in the shop tomorrow to get things sorted out.
Also still trying to build up the courage.
Really looks like a good time though!

MiniDave

Courage? More like idiocy!   ;D

But hey, if we all weren't mildly deranged, we wouldn't even own these tiny little cars! ::)  ;D

Where will you be driving in from Davisio?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: Davisio on January 27, 2015, 04:09:13 PM
Still haven't sent my form (and money) in [yet].
Putting the car in the shop tomorrow to get things sorted out.
Also still trying to build up the courage.
Really looks like a good time though!

Still having problems with the brakes locking up or something else?

Davisio

Driving from Indianapolis.

Ya. Brakes are still locking up. He didn't want to tear too far in to them last time around. Afraid it would cost too much.... This time? Ya. He's going to tear in to them.

94touring

I wonder if the master is binding up somehow and not releasing pressure?  It's locking on all 4 basically correct?

Davisio

Ya. The fronts still drag too.
I've got a bunch of other stuff for him to do too. Like a vacuum leak that I think came from when I replaced the upper steady arm (yep. broke it!) and the door window that's come off track (too lazy to mess with) and the front fender tire rub that ripped a flare off.
No worries though.
Just looking forward to getting out and driving the tires off again!

94touring

Raise it up with the hi Los to rid the rubbing.  That one window guide needs gorilla glue on it.  I remember it coming loose on me too.

Davisio

Dropped the car off yesterday.
I'll let you know what he finds... I'm not really worried. Just want it back so I can drive it!  17.gif

MiniDave

Excellent....

How can we all find each other at the event, I'd like to shake hands ad put a face to the people I've been posting with.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

The events are nicely laid back- Each drive has PLENTY of time to chill -conversate with who you might park beside or such.

I find it kinda funny -- Most times... that is a point of conversatation  " are you on the forum?"
   MM forum mostly = " oh yea Im **** .   Oh YEA  !! Wow IM ******"

It is kinda great to put Faces to names. Now this forum is much more civil than the other at this time    and really yes= Cant wait to see more cars and owners!

I have a CMU name tag from way back with the first - Perhaps I'll Just add my screen name too!

We all kinda know what cars each other have so that helps too. I just posted my Tow vehicle to your tow bar post.... But Ill probably be pulling my moke behind!

Ill be looking for the Clubby white, Easy to spot... and the Pickup from Florida= Red. Surveying on the side...

Dan you gonna be able to bring Ole Blue ?????