Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

A Mk II Cooper S is now on BaT.   Looks very nice.  And you don't see many Mk II models due to their relative rarity compared to the Mk I models.   

Unless something earth-shatteringly negative is revealed I'm betting this will go to $40,000 at least.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-austin-cooper-s-4/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Does look really nice. I wonder whether they are still bringing the big bux......we'll see.....

I thought MkII's had roll up windows? Only MkII's?

Nice that it still has the hydro suspension
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 13, 2022, 02:46:40 PM
Does look really nice. I wonder whether they are still bringing the big bux......we'll see.....

I thought MkII's had roll up windows? Only MkII's?

Nice that it still has the hydro suspension

No, sliding windows definitely continued on the Mk II. 

Off the top of my head, the big changes for Mk II were:

- new grille that dropped the mustache and whiskers and whose top bar was mounted to the bonnet
- bigger, squared off tail lights with Amber on the top and red on the bottom (no back up lights at this point)
- wider rear windscreen
- all cars got Black seats and Black interior trim - so they dropped all the cool color combinations that came on the Mk I to save ££
- tighter turning circle with new rack and different steering arms mounted on the hubs
- Cooper S wheels became silver instead of OEW
- I think this was also the introduction of ignition switches on the columns for some markets
- different badging from Mk I
- bumper overriders and the chrome tubes that attached to them (I forget what these are called) were dropped to save money and because they would contact the larger rear taillights
- steering wheel got a bigger central horn push
- different turn signal switch without the flashing green light on the end of it

There's probably more stuff but I can't remember.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Oh, and I believe the Mk II was where they simplified the central instrument binnacle so it no longer had the four screws around the  speedo and the hidden Mini 850 white plastic speedo structure hiding behind that - instead the whole binnacle was built stronger to support the gauges themselves.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

You are a veritable fount of knowledge!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

In the old days, when people wrote detailed books about specific model cars, I was one of the car nerds who bought those books about the cars.  I was also a consumer of actual paper car magazines like Road & Track, Autoweek, and Car and Driver.  So I absorbed lots of useless automotive trivia and minutia.

These days, a whole lot of people don't seem to know shit about anything - other than whatever crap is currently trending on social media.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A Mini Sprite has popped up on BaT.   Not a Cooper, but I don't think that will hurt its chances.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-mini-mk-vi-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on July 13, 2022, 01:15:06 PM
A Mk II Cooper S is now on BaT.   Looks very nice.  And you don't see many Mk II models due to their relative rarity compared to the Mk I models.   

Unless something earth-shatteringly negative is revealed I'm betting this will go to $40,000 at least.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-austin-cooper-s-4/

Only bid to $30K and went RNM. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on July 20, 2022, 09:46:23 AM
A Mini Sprite has popped up on BaT.   Not a Cooper, but I don't think that will hurt its chances.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-mini-mk-vi-3/

This Mini sold for for $23,750.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The current owner has driven it about 200 miles, 2600 since the conversion? Why bother if you're not going to drive it? Don has done close to 40K on his Pup.

And another hohum video of a guy driving an engine that will rev to 7500 down the road at 2K RPM. pointless if you're trying to get people excited about the performance of the car.

I wonder why the MkII S didn't do better?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Here's a car on BAT that is a mash-up of the two Minis in Michael's current stable! 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-leyland-mini-van/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Bought a year ago this month and moved from Oregon to the middle of Colorado.......wonder why it's for sale again? Flipper or......?

Driven 14 miles since he bought it......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

That is the one I bid on last year and asked about the rocker noise and smoke and was blown off by the previous seller.

Thie current seller indicates there is still some "smoking on startup" and that the rocker rattle was supposedly "an echo artifact of the previous seller's phone".

It has also only driven about 14 miles in the last year???

BruceK

That green '76 VTEC Mini above sold for $27,500.   Looks like building a VTEC Mini is a great way to lose money?

now this one, with an extended nose, is up for auction.  This one looks like it's had more money thrown at it. So, more money to lose?  Or will this sell for something approaching what has been spent on it? 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-morris-mini-minor-9/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The Almond Green window Van sold for $19,000.    Just $500 more than it sold for a year ago.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Now an Elf is on BaT.   Cool but a more limited appeal than a regular Mini.  Wonder how it will do?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-riley-elf/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

$10K the first day (and a Sunday no less) seems like it's off to a good start. Seems like the last one didn't go nearly as well?

Take it back, last one did $41,500! But the Vtec version only did $14,250 - that musta been the one I was thinking of?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 14, 2022, 04:10:56 PM
$10K the first day (and a Sunday no less) seems like it's off to a good start. Seems like the last one didn't go nearly as well?

Take it back, last one did $41,500! But the Vtec version only did $14,250 - that musta been the one I was thinking of?

It's up to almost $21K on the second day.  Wow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A LHD 998 Mini is now on BaT.  Based on the repair receipts, it's apparently being sold by someone with more money than mechanical skill.  Well, less money now.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-austin-mini-1000/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I don't think the black wheels do it any favors.....normally this would have been a $5K car, no idea what it will bring now?

A local guy here just paid $4K for a running 998 that needs - well - most everything, interior. Rust repairs. Paint. Brakes. Wheels. Tires. You name it.....it does run - barely - but that's about it. Floors are gone, needs sill, wings......it's a typical car like Dan gets  to repair. So if this mess is worth $4K (it's not, in my book), what is a decent, running, driving 998 worth? We'll see I guess.

I was surprised that just changing the carb got it to 77 mph where before it wouldn't go over 45?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

It is running a Weber DGV carb.  If those are not jetted correctly (usually way too rich), they will flood the engine as you try to go over 45mph.  I know from experience.  One of my past Minis (the green panel Van) came with a Weber DGV that was way too rich and would flood out trying to go over 45 mph.  I changed it to a HIF carb and it ran much better.

MiniDave

OMG that blue Vtec sold for $46K!!!!!!!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

That's ridiculous for one with the extended nose. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 16, 2022, 08:22:51 AM
I don't think the black wheels do it any favors.....normally this would have been a $5K car, no idea what it will bring now?

Normally?  I disagree.  The days of $5K running/driving "acceptable" Minis are apparently over.  I checked BaT results for 2022 and the lowest winning bid for a Mini was $15,600.  Don't think I missed any cheaper ones.   Granted, the Minis that BaT accepts are not necessarily a good cross section of ALL Minis for sale, but still it's a good bellwether of Mini values.

I think this car will easily top $10K.

I do agree the black painted wheels hurt the appeal of the car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S