Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on April 02, 2021, 10:00:54 AM
The fourth classic Mini on BAT at one time and this one is a doozy. Some people are gonna love it and some people are going to hate it, but Wow.   

I expect this will bring some serious $$$.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-morris-mini-cooper-s-sprint-wood-pickett/

Bidding up to $57,500 now.

MiniDave

Seems like a reasonable deal all around for a Mk1
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Probably a good price for that deseamed Mini.

The black Wood & Pickett is in the upper 50s with 24 hours to go.  Wonder if it will go above $85K?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

It's already a BIG number, but I would not be surprised to see it keep going, especially if there are Euro buyers in the mix.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Wow.......the Wilson Picket Mini did not sell at $63,500!!!!  :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

G67mcs

Perhaps owner expecting very large six figure number for the Wood & Picket car.
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

Jimini II

Perhaps he was expecting bigger money, its a nice car with great history but unfortunately it has been messed with a lot since those early days.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on April 04, 2021, 05:34:40 PM
Dan, this is right in your backyard.   Do you know the car or owner?

Looks to be a pretty original Mk I Cooper S. Too bad it doesn't have the original interior.   Think it will be some big money.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-cooper-s-5/

Well, it didn't bring "big money", but it sold for $30,000. That's a more reasonable price for a Mk I Cooper S than we've seen recently.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Here's one with a few twists.  It's a Mini.  And it's an Elf.  And it has a VTEC.  And it's in Hawaii.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-riley-elf-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

This will be interesting to watch, it has a lot of strikes against it, not the least being the cost to ship it back from Hawaii, plus it needs some serious sorting out.

But the B16 conversion at 180 hp would be fun!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Funny how the new BaT shipping calculator tool is not available on this auction.   

There must be a lot of vehicle shipping between Hawaii and the mainland, but I still bet it's expensive.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I looked at and test drove that Elf before it went to Hawaii.  It was in northwest Austin, Texas at that time.

It still had some torque-steer issues and the final drive was not well suited to the 10" Mini wheels/tires.  The revs for a given speed in the expected gear always seemed too high.

MiniDave

When I lived in Sandy Eggo, it was about $500 to ship a car to Hawaii, but no one ever shipped one back - they were either rusted to bits or sold there for a nice profit cause it wasn't rusted to bits.

Michael, that's why I put a taller final drive in Don's Pup - made the car so much nicer to drive. till then 1st gear was a throwaway and 75 on the highway was 4K RPM.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Another Mini on BaT.  But what it is, it isn't.  Supposedly a Mk I 997 Cooper, it sure looks like a Mk II with an 1100 motor and Cooper S badging.   Not sure why they showed a Heritage certificate since that seems to be for an entirely different car.

There will be a lot of comments on this car.  The seller has not yet surfaced so this auction could go a number of different directions depending on how they respond to criticism.  But should be fun to watch.

I really like the blue color, and it looks to be a good car.  There's a photo of $28,000 in spending on the car.  :-\

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-mini-mk-i/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

It doesn't matter whether you spell it forwards, or backwards, RACECAR is RACECAR. 

I like the old Gulf livery.   Just listed an hour ago and bidding is at $20K.  :-\

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-7/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

That dark blue Mk II bitsa is already at $16K with 5 days left to go!  Wow.  Some are convinced it's a Cooper S bodyshell.   And it is No Reserve auction.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

You mean the MK1 Cooper S that's really a MKII Mini 850 with an Austin America engine in it?   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I like how it's a personal sale, but he's charging a dealer fee. 

Gotta love a car dealer. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 17, 2021, 03:19:26 PM
You mean the MK1 Cooper S that's really a MKII Mini 850 with an Austin America engine in it?   ;D

The seller has posted a photo showing tappet covers, so not an Austin America block.  See photo 121.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

It has the sandwich plate on the gearbox tho....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

So it's an Austin America/MG1100 transmission then... 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Crazy that the no reserve VTEC Elf is only at $7600 so far. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Red Riley

Quote from: BruceK on April 19, 2021, 01:27:15 PM
Crazy that the no reserve VTEC Elf is only at $7600 so far.

Especially considering what it cost to build. From what I've been told, the guy that had MiniTec build it decided as soon as he picked it up that he didn't like it and immediately starting trying to sell it. Apparently he thought it was going to drive like a Honda Civic, just with a different body. It's changed hands a few times and looks like it's worse for wear.

MiniDave

I think that happens with a lot of Vtec builds, the owners are disappointed with the NVH and rarely even drive them. But if you spend a little time sorting them out, they drive well - as I'm sure Red Riley can attest....

I know I spent some time re-engineering Don's Pup after MiniTec built it to get rid of all the annoying buzzes and rattles, and now it's down right Honda-ish. Changing the final drive really helped too.

I think one of the biggest holdbacks on this car is the fact that it's in Hawaii, most folks don't want the hassle of an overseas shipment. Matson runs to Hawaii at least once a week, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but most prospective buyers don't know that.

It sounded pretty quiet in the videos.....but with no tach it's hard to tell what it would do at highway speed - she never took it over 50 mph.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

A few years ago when I test drove it (shortly before the current owner bought it), it was not bad on the NVH.  It did have a bit more torque steer than I would have liked, but was easily managed.  It was being honestly represented as a "driver" condition at that time.  The big drawback for me was the final drive.  At 50 mph, the rpms were higher than I expected them to be.  Getting it above 50 and it was more into the "screaming" level for rpms - they seemed higher than a regular A-series in 4th gear at the same speed.

Having since read Dave's and Red Riley's posts about changing the final drive I would be much less put off by the car now than I was back then.  Right now is just poor timing for me to pursue any other cars/toys.