Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

What do you suppose is the attraction for an early 850 Mini, that it would bring this kind of money?

Did you look at the car in the previous auction? Malamut spent some money refurbing it....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I would say the attraction is that it is the Mini in its purest form - just as it's designer and BMC originally intended.  It also has nostalgia about going back to the way things used to be.  There's no alloy wheels on that car, no upgrade to a 1275, no boy-racer steering wheel, no unnecessary fender flairs, no stripes, no spot lamps, etc.  Of course it also means that has all the compromises of an early car too.

You know there's a whole group of people in the UK dedicated to collecting and discussing the minute details of the very, very early 1959 Minis?  It's the https://1959miniregister.com/

Perhaps it's to make up for the British public using up and casually throwing away nearly 5,000,000 Minis without a second thought?   ;D  Now that Minis are so (relatively) scarce on the UK this sort of addresses the long-gone early ones? 

What was the previous auction you were talking about?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

When Mike bought it on Bat a couple years ago, car was a little rough then.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on March 21, 2021, 11:07:52 AM
What do you suppose is the attraction for an early 850 Mini, that it would bring this kind of money?

Did you look at the car in the previous auction? Malamut spent some money refurbing it....

I would not be surprised if it goes back to the UK as the somewhat original condition with no extra welding is hard to find there.

The Clubman Estate seems to have stalled @$12,500 and the owner has not introduced himself or replied to questions but I am sure it will gather steam in the last couple of hours as they usually do.

Jimini II

Well the bidding picked up at the end with the red Clubman Estate on the no reserve auction closed at $19,500 and Heritage garage was the winning bidder.
The seller had 5 auctions closing today, hefty payday and a big clear out.
Building that car for any less would be hard to do unless you did everything yourself.

MiniDave

It was a very nice car and I was in it for a while, but can't compete with the big money guys like Heritage, when you add a $1000 buyer's fee and another $2k to get it shipped, then taxes and lic fees here to get it registered - it was just too much for me to invest. They'll have to sell it for $25K or more to make anything on it.....

That's the false economy of buying at auction....all the extra costs

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Quote from: MiniDave on March 21, 2021, 11:07:52 AM

Original 59 Mini's are rare and have a cult like following in the UK.
1960's have been getting real popular from 59 spillover interest. The Malamut car has a ton of provenance for the collector and has a story the Brits love.
My 1960 Austin would fit right in but doesn't have the provenance and a non matching engine SN.
I would be happy with half the bid.
I am considering BAT to sell mine.

MiniDave

Mike Malamut's Mini 850 did not sell at $20,250, but I have a feeling he made a deal with one of the top 2 bidders - I think they were actually pretty close on the reserve.

I also  found out that BaT will make up the difference between reserve and high bid if it's not too far apart in order to make the sale....Russ Foust says they did it on three of his sales on BaT, tho not the last one..... just like Mecom, Barratt Jackson, Russo and Steele and all the big auction houses.....it's all a scam!  ;D

Actually, the prices I've seen lately make me wonder just what the heck is going on in used cars - these aren't get you to work cars or guys buying a car they always wanted, these are speculators out to make a (big) buck.

and now there's a 93 Mini SPi 1275 for sale - in resale red of course! At least it has new fuses.....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-rover-mini-cooper/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A "late model" SPI Mini is now on BaT.   I used the quote marks because what many of us have long considered late model cars are now nearly 3 decades old!   So I'm not sure that the words mean anything anymore!  Time marches on (to coin a phrase)  ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-rover-mini-cooper/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A Clubman with an interesting history is now on BaT.    Former driving school car.

Not my cup of tea being both a 998 and an automatic, but I'm sure someone will love it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-mini-morris-mini/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A third Mini on BaT at the same time.   California buyers will like that this is old enough I had it does not have to pass smog.

However, I predict there will be some VIN controversy as the number does not seem correct.  Looks like some typos.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-morris-mini-minor-850/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

The red spi looks like a decent car and should do well.
The white Clubman needs a fair amount of work and does not have a lot going for it but as its no reserve it will sell.
The red/white MK 1 looks well sorted and its already at $18k.

BruceK

The fourth classic Mini on BAT at one time and this one is a doozy. Some people are gonna love it and some people are going to hate it, but Wow.   

I expect this will bring some serious $$$.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-morris-mini-cooper-s-sprint-wood-pickett/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LarryLebel

The new front air dam ruined it.

MiniDave

The new headlights - tho like Larry H says are evocative of the time the car was built - make the front end remind me of a Checker cab.....

It will be interesting to see what this one does, I would expect an overseas buyer in japan or England to snap it up, given it's basis is a Cooper S.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Too many body mods for me. 

Jimini II

The red spi sold for $15k seems like a decent price.

BruceK

Dan, this is right in your backyard.   Do you know the car or owner?

Looks to be a pretty original Mk I Cooper S. Too bad it doesn't have the original interior.   Think it will be some big money.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-cooper-s-5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

It looks mostly unmolested and a good base to bring it up to the next level.
Getting the right interior from Newton commercial will be expensive but it needs it imo.
At least all the correct numbers are in place and look correct, the bidding will be strong.

94touring

Not familiar with that guy.

BruceK

The black Wood & Pickett Mini is up to $46K (!) with 4 days left.  Wow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The white/red Clubby sold for $5700, it had three things against it right from the go - it was a clubby, it was a 998 and it was an automatic. Even so, it probably was a decent deal at that price.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

Last Sept. I reported here that the blue Mini & a half which was initially listed on BaT but ended in RNM had been listed on Mania for $22K.

The sales price was later lowered to $21K, then down to $20k.

It's now listed by the same owner for $16k for the car and an extra $2k for the trailer with a possible package deal available, most likely in the $17k range.

MiniDave

What was high bid on BaT?

Edit: high bid on BaT was only $11K

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on March 31, 2021, 01:13:45 PM
A third Mini on BaT at the same time.   California buyers will like that this is old enough I had it does not have to pass smog.

However, I predict there will be some VIN controversy as the number does not seem correct.  Looks like some typos.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-morris-mini-minor-850/

The Deseamed modified Mini sold for $20,150.