Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

The Seller of the black Mk I is now responding to questions, which is good.  But he's a man of few words and he is not addressing all the questions posed.  Which of course is not good.

A few hold-the-camera-on-the-ground-and-point-it-up shots of the sills are all he has provided when under car shots were requested.  Not gonna cut it.  Several requests for videos have been made but the Seller has not even acknowledged then. 

Things are not looking good. 

Edit: I just posted some unsolicited advice to the seller suggesting he behave more like the recent seller of the JDM Mini, not the seller of the Canadian Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

;D ;D ;D ;D 77.gif

"Thanks for your advice"

His reply....

I can not understand why sellers get upset at requests for information.....I asked for a good pic of the engine number....it's been ignored. Several requests for startup, running and driving videos. ignored. I think he might be worried about the gear noise queering the sale......but I think I would rather get that out right at the front, then deal with the comments.

And these three and four word replies aren't getting it.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

He just yelled in ALL CAPS at a question about the VIN, telling the questioner to READ the auction text.

I guess I pissed him off, but that was not my intention.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And now the Seller is getting a little testy about the VIN.

Unless the Seller changes his attitude this auction will go south and be RNM I think.

Funny thing is, the seller has sold other cars on BaT.    But perhaps Mini commenters and bidders are a tougher crowd?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

The vin would be a no go item for me.  Not that I'd be worried about registering the car, but it severely loses value.  I loath the red accents too but those can be removed at least.

BruceK

When the seller chooses to respond to a question, he gives the shortest, most terse, and unsatisfactory answers possible.

It's like he's in a legal deposition.   

I'm smelling a RNM situation brought about entirely by his stubbornness.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yes, you'd think this guy had never sold a car before and we should just accept his word for anything.....I really don't understand the reluctance to post at least a start up video.....you suppose maybe there's too much snow and the car is up on a lift?   ;D

There's a red Mk1 for sale now, he did a startup and drive by at 15 mph, better than nothing I guess, but come on folks, where's the fun, excitement, transmission whine - all the visceral things that really sell a Mini?

Now THIS is how you do a car sale video!   ;D

Alfa on BaT

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yes!  That is how it's done.   Of course not everyone can afford what looks like a professional videography including super good drone footage.  But that's definitely something to try and emulate. 

That is one sexy Alfa. Only let down by the wheels being too large.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Here's the red Mk I Dave mentioned.  Presents well and has a 1098 and still has the floor start.

Just an hour into the auction and the seller of this Mini is already 10 times better than the seller of the black Mk I.  I like this car more too.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-austin-mini-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Yes that red/black car is a nice solid looking early car.
The only things it needs is the under bonnet wiring harness tidied up and maybe discs up front.

G67mcs

The red/black MK1 had been posted on the MM sale board last May for 22.5K. Pretty strong for a non-S car although MK1's are all the rage.
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

MiniDave

Especially for one with a non correct engine and drum brakes!  $22,500? I dunno, but I don't think so....

It's a nice car and a good platform to build on for sure, but it never was an S and never will be.

I keep going back to Stan's car, which was virtually brand new - every part of it - with a strong 1275 and all the right parts, and it only brought what, $19K? Admittedly it wasn't a Mk1, but it was such a nice, well done car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

With a 1098 and drum brakes, that might be $14K to $16k on a really good day to a knowledgeable buyer.   But for someone with stars in their eyes... who knows?

One thing it does have going for it is it's not the black Mini with the mostly-uncooperative seller and sketchy VIN.  So the red car will be cross-shopped and that will help it I think.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Depending what cylinder head casting is on the red car with the twin carbs (if original) it may be a MG 1100 engine which should help but it is not a 22k car.
You're right with this Mini running the same time as the black one its not going to help the bidding and the red car is already ahead after two days.

BruceK

So the Seller of the black Mini will almost surely never provide any cold start or driving videos - much to the detriment of the auction.

I mentioned above that he's actually sold cars on BaT before, and the last one was a Triumph Stag earlier this month.  I looked through the comments on the Stag and during that auction people were telling him that as the Seller he needs to get involved and respond to questions about the car.  Of course he did not.  And somehow it managed to sell.  So he's been rewarded for his poor behavior. 

But as I said earlier, I don't think unanswered questions and no videos at all is going to cut it with the Mini crowd.  I am amazed when sellers expect their stubbornness just be ignored by buyers.   

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on January 13, 2021, 06:30:42 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on January 13, 2021, 05:37:44 PM
A better buy than that red Hollywood car was, IMHO.....

And another black car, this time a Mk1....this one has no chassis plate and is titled according to it's "body number"?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-mini-cooper-5/

That VIN issue may put some people off. But I don't think it's going to hurt the auction. This is a customized Mini that is going to appeal a lot to some people, but other people may not be fond of the color or the various customized details.  Personally, I am no fan of 13" wheels and big fender flares on a Mk I or Mark II car.

It does have a 1275 and it is a Mk I so those two things are going to win it over in the end.  Plus it can be registered in California. Unless there is a cranky seller or something negative comes up about the car, I could see this one going in the high teens possibly. 

The seller remained cranky and generally unhelpful throughout the auction.  The car sold for $16,750.  Surely it would've been higher if there had been a video and a cooperative Seller.   

Oh, and a real VIN too!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I'm always curious where these cars will end up - sometimes the new owner will tell, but usually they don't.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The red car with the 1098 is already at $13K with a day and a half still left. Lots of back-and-forth bidding action going on now with some of the same bidders as on the black car are busy bidding for it.

This car could go surprisingly high I think.  Surprisingly high for what it is.  Unlike the black car, it's got a video, a responsive selller, and a real VIN. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on January 20, 2021, 03:23:41 PM
I'm always curious where these cars will end up - sometimes the new owner will tell, but usually they don't.....

Its heading North to Chicago Dave.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on January 16, 2021, 02:43:52 PM
With a 1098 and drum brakes, that might be $14K to $16k on a really good day to a knowledgeable buyer.   But for someone with stars in their eyes... who knows?

One thing it does have going for it is it's not the black Mini with the mostly-uncooperative seller and sketchy VIN.  So the red car will be cross-shopped and that will help it I think.

Well several people definitely had stars in their eyes and really, really wanted this Mini.  A lot of competitive bidding.  It sold for $26,000 !!!     8.gif

As Heritage Garage pointed out in the comments, that used to be Cooper S money!  But someone spent that for a nice Mk I Mini with a 1098 with drum brakes.   Crazy.

The cranky owner of the black Mini must be shaking his head as this one sold for nearly $10,000 more than his.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Holy crap! It was a nice car but 26k seems a bit unreasonable.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on January 22, 2021, 02:58:06 PM
Quote from: BruceK on January 16, 2021, 02:43:52 PM

Well several people definitely had stars in their eyes and really, really wanted this Mini.  A lot of competitive bidding.  It sold for $26,000 !!!     8.gif

As Heritage Garage pointed out in the comments, that used to be Cooper S money!  But someone spent that for a nice Mk I Mini with a 1098 with drum brakes.   Crazy.

The cranky owner of the black Mini must be shaking his head as this one sold for nearly $10,000 more than his.

Well even after fees that sure beats the $22,500 he was asking on Mini Mania.

MiniDave

yeah, add the buyers fee and it's $27,300

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Another Mini is on BaT.   This one is a 1977 that has had a 1275 installed and Cooper badges added. 

The red and black theme may not be to everyones' taste.  No telling at this early stage how the auction will go.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-austin-mini/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S