Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

The guy says he has $27K in rects plus the purchase price!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A pretty darn nice restored Mk I Cooper S is now on BaT.

I suspect this will go for some seriously big bucks.  I sure hope it sells for more than the non-S recently auctioned.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-16/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on November 23, 2020, 07:44:50 PM
The guy says he has $27K in rects plus the purchase price!

Just saw a post on MM by the owner and he stated he will be happy to break even so I am guessing he is looking to get somewhere in the mid $30's. With what the blue one did last week I am sure this figure can be reached.

The red Countryman with the crappy paint job is not going anywhere fast still sitting at $8k.

The white S is nice and looks like the guy started with a nice relatively rust free shell and it will do well, even Heritage garage is bidding on it.
I like the jig/mold the guy made to pull/stretch out the accident damage to the rear light apertures. It probably took more time than to just heat and beat on it or weld in a new panel but to me he showed he wanted to do it right.

tsumini

Born just 8 days before my 60. Numbers are consistent with mine; slightly less.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on November 20, 2020, 07:37:05 PM
A Mini estate is now being auctioned on BaT.    Still has the 850.  And a non-stock interior. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-austin-mini-countryman-woody-3/

Bids went up to $13,250 on this car and the auction went Reserve Not Meet.   

But get this: with just minutes to spare before the auction ended, the seller posted a comment and announced that the reserve was $24,000.  But he'd lower it to $19,000 if you buy the car.  Holy crap.   Remember, this was for a car with a 850 engine and a paint job said by many commenters to be of questionable quality.  Information about the reserve amount did not spur on more bids racing to the reserve - instead it took all the air out of the room and no more bids appeared. 

BaT sure seems to be inconsistent about when they will let someone have a HIGH reserve, while they will force other sellers to set extremely LOW reserves.   This reserve on this Mini was crazy IMO.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, I saw that reserve - stupid....there was no previous history to justify that high of a price.

And the general consensus is that $13K something was the right money for the car in that condition.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Another really early Mk I is now on Bat.   The auction text initially indicated it was a Mini Cooper but there was so much feedback in the comments that they've actually changed it to just Austin Mini.   Will BaT ever learn?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-austin-mini-cooper-5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The blue 1960 sold for $28K.   Wow.  A nice car, but that's lot of $ for a non-Cooper S. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Where's the moustache on the white one?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

BruceK

The white and black restored Cooper S is at $38K with 3 hours to go.  The seller has been very engaged and there are almost no nits anyone has found to pick.

I think this one will go north of $50K.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Close....bidding ended at $45K and sold there.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on December 01, 2020, 02:31:26 PM
Close....bidding ended at $45K and sold there.

After watching the blue majic wand non S bring $50k i thought this well documented restored true S would do better than $45k. Based on recent BaT Mini prices the buyer got a good deal imo.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on November 30, 2020, 11:17:04 PM
Another really early Mk I is now on Bat.   The auction text initially indicated it was a Mini Cooper but there was so much feedback in the comments that they've actually changed it to just Austin Mini.   Will BaT ever learn?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-austin-mini-cooper-5/

Well it looks like MK I saloons especially LHD ones on BaT are bringing better than good money lately as the white/black 61 sold for $21,750.

BruceK

That is good money for that car. 

Is it possible the market is actually changing for Minis?  Like it did for Porsches and VW buses?  Meaning more of a permanent in increase in values.

Or is it the BaT effect?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Even if it is the "BaT effect", it is rippling into other listing places as well.  I have seen substantial increases in the asking prices for Minis on several of the classic car websites and ebay as well.

tsumini

Followed this auction with interest as the car was bult a month after mine. I wass trying to get a feeling for what mine could be worth and mentally tried  to estimate cost to modify it similarly.
1275 POWERPLANT Normal performance, nothing special $4000?
Disc brake conversion $1200?
New wheels and tires  $1000?
Conversion labor $3000?

Could I ask $11,000 start?

Jimini II

I am not sure where you are planning to sell/auction it but BaT do not have a starting bid system they just start from zero.
From what I have seen bidding on auctions like ebay seem to do better with more interest when they have a lower than expected start point maybe 1/3rd of the vehicles real value, that way the bidders who think they may steal a car get a few bids in and then the real bidders take over when the bidding may have already reached or passed where you wanted to start.
If I had an early MK I Mini and it was registered on the West coast especially California I would offer it on BaT with plenty of pictures and driving videos and active commentary.
Good luck.

tsumini

I threw out $11000 for a private sale asking price with room to reduce. If on an auction I would sell real low or no reserve.

MiniDave

Didn't you just finish it?

Selling so quickly?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Yeah when I can get motivated to get it ready. I'm finding it's getting real difficult physically to work on it and maintain it. I need to down size  and get rid of a lot of things. The car is a fun car and hasn't given me any problems since I got it running right but will require a lot of attention.

BruceK

A Japanese market 998 Mini is now on BaT.  This one now has twin carbs. And it's been converted to 10" wheels.  That's something I might do with my Mini down the road. I think they look better than the 12" wheels.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-austin-rover-mini/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Bit of a project but not a rust bucket, interesting to see what it does.

BruceK

A customized deseamed Mini is now on BaT.   Not to everyone's taste, so this will be an interesting auction to watch. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-4/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

A 1967 Moke now on BaT.  Nice color Blue with several mods/upgrades.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-moke-8/