Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstudep

Good to know about the ease of which the signal lever can be swapped, which makes sense with these cars since many of the parts seem to be designed to swap easily between the LHD and RHD configurations. Good planning there on the designers part, as a designer myself I always like to see the details thought through on things like that.

MPlayle

The single stalk levers of the MK-I and MK-II Minis were swappable like Bruce says.  The later two stalk levers (turn/hi-low beam/horn on one side and wipers/washer on the other) were not swappable - they had distinct RHD and LHD variations.  Later in production the factory "got lazy" and used the same set for both LHD and RHD cars.  I want to say RHD cars ended up getting LHD switches for a while.

MiniDave

Even tho Buzz was RHD, I also swapped out the turn signal and wiper switches, in my case all I had to do was buy the new switches, the housing didn't care....I think it was about $75 in parts total. As for the cancel feature, it's done differently on the newer cars (there's a tab on the steering wheel that engages the mechanism in the switch) so that wasn't an issue either.

It was a whole lot easier for me to do that as I was tired of signaling turns with the wipers.... ;D

I always liked the Mk1 T/S switch with the little green light on the end!

However after owning an early Audi 5000 with it's super neat behind the steering wheel switch controls for everything - even the cruise control, I prefer the newer style now. Although I would prefer the horn button to be in the center of the steering wheel instead of on the end of the T/S switch....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on October 21, 2020, 10:20:22 AM
The single stalk levers of the MK-I and MK-II Minis were swappable like Bruce says.  The later two stalk levers (turn/hi-low beam/horn on one side and wipers/washer on the other) were not swappable - they had distinct RHD and LHD variations.  Later in production the factory "got lazy" and used the same set for both LHD and RHD cars.  I want to say RHD cars ended up getting LHD switches for a while.

Yeah, there was a change on nearly all new cars sold in the UK sometime in the 1980s when just left side turn signals were fitted.   So pick any car sold in the past 30 years in the UK (Minis included) and you won't find turn signals on the right anymore.  As switch gear became more complex, this was probably done just to simplify parts and standardize all cars sold in Europe whether LHD or RHD.  After all it's basically just the UK, Ireland, Jersey, and Malta that are RHD.

The funny part is this never happened for RHD in Japan, Oz, and NZ.  They still have the turn signals on the right of the wheel.   My JDM Toyota has right hand turn signals.  I've adapted when driving my truck, but the first week or so I had it I kept using the wiper switch when I wanted to signal a turn.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Michael, how come the drive by video of the Marcos isn't up on BaT?  Didn't it turn out okay?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I submitted it to them, but they did not link it.

I will see if I can "add" it via the comments.

Thanks for catching that.

tmsmini

Someone posted a Goodwood video of:
The Mini Marcos driven by Nick Swift and a Lotus Elan had a race-long battle to see who would come out on top, with the Lotus shutting the door numerous occasions on the Mini Marcos. See all the best bits from what was an exciting fight to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlUG2-8DJmI&feature=youtu.be

MPlayle

Moving into the final 4 hours of the auction on my Mini Marcos and activity on it seems dead.  Bidding has been stagnant for days.  A few folks here seem to have been trying to contribute to drumming up some interest.

Not a lot of comments, most have been positive except for the one calling it "butt ugly".

I am afraid it may end up going RNM at this rate even though the reserve is very reasonable - significantly below what I paid for it in the first place.

MiniDave

I wonder if being this close to the election is having an effect?

Grasping at straws....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

What is sad is this plain VW wagon is doing so much better than the Mini Marcos:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-volkswagen-type-3-squareback-3/

:(

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on October 27, 2020, 01:17:20 PM
What is sad is this plain VW wagon is doing so much better than the Mini Marcos:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-volkswagen-type-3-squareback-3/

:(

I eyeballed those when buying my bus

Jimini II

Yes it is amazing that the bids are so low on the Marcos.
I don't get it when folks have negative opinions of something thay seem to have to express and are not even bidding on the vehicle.
There is a true basket case that is the definition of butt ugly and years away from looking as nice as yours Michael that is currently for sale in the UK currently for £4500 GBP.

MPlayle

I just looked at all of the ones available in the UK and all the road cars need a lot of interior work.  The ones closest to mine are at the £8750 to £9500 GBP range.  Both need lots of interior work and the more expensive one needs significant bodywork as well.

Jimini II

Getting some decent bids now up to $15k.

MPlayle

A bit of a "nail biter" for me seeing it start to get some traction.

MiniDave

Guy that bought it seems pretty stoked!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I am familiar with his same username on the Mini Mania message board from years past.  He was known for being a serious Mini enthusiast.

Jimini II

Yes George/GTA Mini is a Mini enthusiast and owns a few including a Catalina Moke.

I am glad it picked up towards the end for you Michael, for a while i thought it had a long way to go to reach reserve and believed it would be RNM.

Congrats on the sale.

On another note the MK I red Mini failed to sell with the final bid at $10,250.

BruceK

That was a nail-biter.  I posted some encouraging comments including the link to the Goodwood race.  Some of the reluctance to bid may have been because the average car guy hadn't seen a Mini Marcos before, so there wasn't the same familiarity as with regular Minis.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tmsmini

Quote from: BruceK on October 27, 2020, 04:35:11 PM
including the link to the Goodwood race. 

Thanks for posting the link to the Goodwood race. I would really love to see some footage of the Marcos at lemans...

MPlayle

Quote from: tmsmini on October 28, 2020, 10:15:52 AM
I would really love to see some footage of the Marcos at lemans...

This just got posted to my BaT listing today - a link to the Mini Marcos at LeMans.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

I know this Moke well it is a tidy car and well maintained.
He is selling off his collection and moving back to the UK and just keeping two Minis, in fact Dave is working on one of his old Minis a Jap spec with ac he just sold recently.
All his cars are top notch drivers.

MiniDave

67 Mk1 with a really nice resto done on it - to the tune of $80,000 spent!!!!!!!!!!

Dan, we're working too cheaply, I tell you! $30K on paint and body work....sheesh.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-mini-mk-i-3/

Gorgeous car tho, really beautiful.

Michael, this is what your driving video should have looked and sounded like!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

They state right at the start of that video that they used an external microphone.  I do not have one for the action camera I got.  I will need to look into whether one is available (camera supposedly supports one).

I also  noticed they did their drive with all the windows closed.  I had my windows open when I did mine.  (The Burton had the top down, so no windows at all.)