Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

The body tub is an Aussie one - it has the kick-outs at the rear wheel wells for the longer trailing arms and 13" wheels.

As far as I know, all Portuguese Mokes had the straight drop rear panel and 12" wheels.

1983 is into the Portuguese Moke range as I recall 1981/82 was the final production for Aussie Mokes.  (My first Moke was a 1981 Aussie Moke, supposedly built in the last year of production.)

MiniDave

Are the air vents under the speedo stock? It's kinda funny having air vents in a car as open as a Moke!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Well, British Leyland made Mokes in Portugal well before Cagiva, and it's my understanding that the early ones - in the early 1980s - were identical to the Oz ones.  Later on they figured on some cost savings by using regular length Mini rear trailing arms and 12" wheels.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 05, 2020, 08:44:36 AM
Are the air vents under the speedo stock? It's kinda funny having air vents in a car as open as a Moke!

I don't know. Of course this was also the era of having fully enclosed bodywork available for all weather use.  So maybe the vents  would be needed then.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

That is a non-standard heater arrangement feeding to factory demister vents below the windshield.

The 1981 Aussie Moke I owned came with a standard Mini heater and the windshield vents.  I have seen quite a mix in various pictures of Aussie Mokes.

I dug out my Moke book ("Mini Moke, Ultimate Portfoliio") and Bruce is correct that the earliest Portuguese Mokes were the same as the late Aussie Mokes.  Aussie production ended in 1982 and Portuguese production is said to have begun 2 years later.  In 1986, they went back to the standard Mini rear arms and 12" wheels.  The Cagiva Mokes began in 1991 according to the book.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on September 28, 2020, 03:58:45 PM
Another Mini as appeared on BaT. 

It is being touted as a "Cooper S tribute" which of course is a bunch of BS.  It's simply a late '70s Mini 1000 with a 1300 and disc brakes.  A bit rough is this Mini, with holes in the carpet, holes in the seats, and some visits of the tin worm in the A-panel and windshield scuttle among other places. 

Still, it's a running Mini and it's being auctioned at No Reserve.   My guess is will sell for perhaps $8K to $10K. Unless somebody goes crazy and ignores common sense.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-mini-cooper-s/

Wow. Bids more than doubled in price in the last hour of the auction - very active with bidders joining at (what seemed like) the last minute.  This Mini sold for $11,750.   Quite a lot for that car I think
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, that car was ruff, ruff!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Yes it needed a lot of work, risky doing a no reserve auction but as he had lost his job he needed to sell so i am glad he got a more than fair imo price.

The burgandy Moke looks good but used to be a Catalina Island Moke so who knows how rusty it was or wasn't but looking at the pics the floors look to be original and good.

Funny the owner said the top should be down when going faster than 45mph not sure where he came by that but i have driven at 60 mph and towed my Moke for hours on the interstate at 70 mph plus with no problems with the top up, i guess it may depend on how well it is fitted and attached.

The rally Mini seems to have stalled.

MiniDave

I thought I read the floors had been replaced on the Moke? I may be confusing it with one of the other Minis this week.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

It must have been another one Dave as I didn't see any reference to the floors being replaced.
Larry Holloway has posted on the auction and stated that it is in fact an Aussie Moke not a Portuguese one so it seems the year is incorrect.
Larry has some first hand experience with the Catalina Mokes as he was the buyer of them and organized the shipping of the whole Catalina Island Moke rental fleet back to the States years ago.

BruceK

And a very early Mini 850 is now being offered. It's a 1959, and by the VIN, it's one of the first 10,000 Minis made.   The upholstery has changed (I guess that's to be expected over the course of 60+ years), but many of the early Mini features remain. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-morris-850/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

While I agree there is a lot to recommend this car - it has some glaring faults - like the terrible quality paint job. And it looks like the boot floor was cut out and some flat sheet metal was laid in but I don't see any welds?

And the color change didn't do it any favors.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah, it looks like the spare tire well has been cut out completely.  Due to rust? And a flat sheet metal panel just laid over the open hole and riveted in.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Red Cooper S is at $40K now with 2 days left to go, the red rallye car is at $25K.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I am surprised the rally car is not doing better especially with a no reserve auction but these BaT cars get a lot of bids in the last few hours.

The red S is pretty nice maybe it will hit $50k.

MiniDave

Holy crap! That rallye car sold for $58,500!  What the hell is going on?????

I saw an MG Midget go for $22K yesterday!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Agreed. That's a whole lotta money for the rally car - especially when you consider it's built from a Mini 850 and not a real Cooper S.  But on the other hand it was done up accurately with all the special switches and relays, bits and everything else that is super hard to find now.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Yes I was amazed at the price too.
It was really stalled out for a few days and took off at the end which is expected but double the bid of where it was a few hours before and no reserve too wow.
Shipping included as well.

BruceK

The red (no longer green) Cooper S was bid to $45,000 and went RNM. 

But a little cloud has appeared on the auction:  an employee of the Seller made a bid - said to be a personal bid - in the final minutes.  The implication is a possible shill bid.   Hmmmm. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Oh no!, THAT never happens!!!!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

But this time a hand was found in the cookie jar!   :D   BaT is diplomatically trying to explain it away.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Bad precedent, no question.....and so obvious.

I know this stuff goes on at the big auction houses too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The comments are worth reading as the Seller works to 'clarify' exactly what happened.  More interesting details are being added.

*cough*bullshit*cough*
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Geez.  The past six or so Minis on BaT have been RED  (even a red Moke) and the trend continues with the latest auction.

This car is not listed as a Cooper or Cooper-tribute, but it does wear a Cooper S badge.  I also spotted pedals and switchgear that are not from 1972.  Plus the half-leather Mini 30 seats and rear 3-point belts don't point to the 70s either. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-austin-mini-cooper-5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

What are you saying Bruce? Are you suggesting it could be a *shudder* revin!  Say it ain't so, BaT!  ;D

No wait - I know - it was "updated"  to 80's specs!   ;D ;D :D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad