Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on September 23, 2020, 06:51:13 AM
What business?

His was not a business as far as the state was concerned - he didn't have a dealer's lic any more, he doesn't buy and sell anything....I don't understand what he did that was wrong either.....but I'm sure there were laws in there someplace that he ran afoul of.

We have no factual information, so until we do we can't judge either him or the state.

I understand the guy with the light blue car with the trailer not wanting to take $11K for it - whether it's worth $20K remains to be seen, I don't remember all the specifics of the car, but it seemed like it was worth more than $11k - I wonder why it didn't attract more bids? I also offered to buy the trailer during the auction, just in case the bidders didn't want it. No one said anything about it to me after that.....

I am only speculating and have no dog in this fight but maybe as he lost his dealers license before around 2006 or so and was fined a good amount by the Sate it played a big part in him running into trouble with them again.

Whether you consider him selling the car or not Dave he was making a commission/profit on every sale he put together plus a listing fee, it could be something as simple as undeclared income for that matter it could be any one of a number of things.

AFAIK and have heard he did not have any licenses at all to run the brokering of cars through his website and as we all know there are a lot of other things like a bond, escrow accounts, city and county licenses, taxes and if collected and due and the likes of such that go along with selling cars which i am sure California has more of than anywhere else.

I don't know about California but i do know in Florida if you loose a dealers license you are not allowed to be licensed to sell cars in any kind of a capacity again period.

Again just my thoughts but it will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

94touring

I figured there'd be a lot involved with brokering cars, which seemed to be what he primarily did.  I know for a period of time in the early 2000s when I was importing cars with Peter Cavalo as part of WestPa Minis, I was able to sell 6 cars yearly without having a license. 

MiniDave

Like I said, till the facts are known it's all speculation.

I don't know that brokering a deal requires the same license as being a dealer - but I don't know so again, we'll all just have to wait and see if it comes out. There are a lot of nasty rumors being spread.

I also do not have a dog in this fight - the only thing I know of him is I sat next to him at dinner in Aspen at the Mini meet....the only other thing I know for sure is that he's really tall! That's it....   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Lets get back on the thread topic with some good thoughts.

MK 3 Cooper S Glacier white with a blue interior in Canada is up for sale on BaT already at $12,750.

Fully restored originally from Europe so it is already LHD, it should do well.

MiniDave

$15K now - on the first day. Sheesh.....

Looks like a nice car tho, money was spent for sure to fix it up.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Apparently well known in Ontario for his quality restoration work.

BruceK

Yeah, it's already pulling in the money with bids.  Looks to be very, very clean. And done up with an emphasis on originality.

Unfortunately, IMO, the Mk. III Cooper S is the least interesting of all the years of Coopers.  By that time British Leyland was hardly differentiating the Cooper S from the Mini 850 in appearance.   Unlike the Mk. I Coopers which had more chrome pieces, bumper overriders, and special interior features such as gold brocade upholstery, the MK. III's just had the same plain black interior as the rest of the Mini range and where often monotone painted too - a sin for any Mini.  Because of those things, the MK. III Cooper S is also the easiest Mini model to copy (most counterfeited? most imitated?). I'm not saying this one is a copy - it's just a very nice Mini without any flair. (I'm ready for the Office Space references)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-austin-mini-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on September 26, 2020, 08:31:57 AM
Yeah, it's already pulling in the money with bids.  Looks to be very, very clean. And done up with an emphasis on originality.

Unfortunately, IMO, the Mk. III Cooper S is the least interesting of all the years of Coopers.  By that time British Leyland was hardly differentiating the Cooper S from the Mini 850 in appearance.   Unlike the Mk. I Coopers which had more chrome pieces, bumper overriders, and special interior features such as gold brocade upholstery, the MK. III's just had the same plain black interior as the rest of the Mini range and where often monotone painted too - a sin for any Mini.  Because of those things, the MK. III Cooper S is also the easiest Mini model to copy (most counterfeited? most imitated?). I'm not saying this one is a copy - it's just a very nice Mini without any flair. (I'm ready for the Office Space references)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-austin-mini-2/

Actually there were quite a few different interior colours up to six although not all at the same time during the one year 1600 unit production run according to Parnell.
I must admit though most of the ones i have ever seen are either black or Navy blue.

Lord Stokes was the killer of the Cooper S as he did not want to pay John Cooper a royalty anymore which was supposedly a measly £5.00 per car and so the Mini Clubman 1275 GT was created.

BruceK

Another Mini as appeared on BaT. 

It is being touted as a "Cooper S tribute" which of course is a bunch of BS.  It's simply a late '70s Mini 1000 with a 1300 and disc brakes.  A bit rough is this Mini, with holes in the carpet, holes in the seats, and some visits of the tin worm in the A-panel and windshield scuttle among other places. 

Still, it's a running Mini and it's being auctioned at No Reserve.   My guess is will sell for perhaps $8K to $10K. Unless somebody goes crazy and ignores common sense.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-mini-cooper-s/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The white Mk. III Cooper S is up to $20K now, with 3 days left in the auction.  I'm thinking this will go into the mid-thirties. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Ignore that red Mini currently on BaT that is said to be a "tribute" Cooper S, this one actually is a tribute Mini!

And it is a No Reserve auction too.  Wow. 

Even though this is in Greece, the seller has a stellar record on BaT, so I think this will go for some serious money.  Especially when you consider it is not a real Cooper S.  I think this may go into the upper $30K's or maybe higher. 

Oh, and 'free' shipping is included too.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on September 28, 2020, 04:01:42 PM
The white Mk. III Cooper S is up to $20K now, with 3 days left in the auction.  I'm thinking this will go into the mid-thirties.

It was only bid to $29,250 and went Reserve Not Me.  RNM is no surprise at that amount.     It's a very nice Cooper S, but I think it being a sort of plain looking white Mk. III hurt it a bit, as compared to a Mk. I or Mk. II in a different color.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

$30K seems like a reasonable amount for that MKIII, as they're not as in demand as the earlier cars....plus the $1500 buyers fee.

That's a great looking rally Mini!

The other tribute Mini is a little sad looking - it was repainted in a non matching color, seats and dash torn, and house carpeting.....it just needs some stuff done to make it even OK.

I'll bet it doesn't make $10K

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

The winning Acropolis Mini rally replica looks great with a lot of attention to detail.
It makes a change to see a tribute rally Mini done without the 33 EJB registration plates on it.

I am surprised the MK III S did not attract some UK bids as they seem to do better over there, it looked like a good solid build maybe the monotone white made it look too much like a Liverpool cop car LOL.

I agree the red "tribute" Mini is going to have a hard time getting some good bids, too much work for most buyers.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on October 01, 2020, 03:48:47 PM

I agree the red "tribute" Mini is going to have a hard time getting some good bids, too much work for most buyers.

Yeah, the Seller mentioned a bodyshop had said the bubbling rust on both A-panels and the windshield scuttle was "manageable/easily fixed".   Sure, sure.  I bet the bodyshop he asked has worked on exactly zero Minis and is assuming panels just unbolt. 

Of course, part of any discussion on vehicle rust is based upon the person's geography-influenced perspective.  If you are from a warm, dry state, no amount of rust, even if it is just brown-colored metal, is "okay".  But if you are from the rust belt, you grade rust on a curve and as long as your booted foot doesn't fit all the way into the rust hole, it's "okay".   From a Texas perspective, the rust on that Mini is major, and just the tip of the iceberg.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A real Mk. I Cooper S now on BaT.   Looks very nice.   

Just 2 owners and it's always been in California. 

I expect this one to really go high. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-14/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Makes more sense to pay $50K for this one than that white "barn find" a couple years ago that started the BaT run up in mini prices. Wonder what the reserve is on this one? $40K? $50K? Being able to register it in Ca is a huge bonus....

$25,670 on the first day....so far!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 02, 2020, 07:46:53 AM
Makes more sense to pay $50K for this one than that white "barn find" a couple years ago that started the BaT run up in mini prices. Wonder what the reserve is on this one? $40K? $50K? Being able to register it in Ca is a huge bonus....

Yeah.  But the Brits have a hunger for Mk I Cooper S models so it could end up there.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I always wonder when I see big bids on the first couple of days if they're real or shill bids to make the value look higher?

This is a very nice car, someone spent some money re-doing it, I wish they hadn't painted it resale red but stayed with the original almond green and OEW.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I know this car and the owner. It has been red for over 15 years as I believe that is when I first saw it at a show, although it could be earlier.

be interesting to see where this goes. No lottery money for me

Jimini II

Yes if you want it to be original the almond green with oew white roof should have stayed but from all my years of selling and importing cars some owners do not like green in any shape or form or yellow for that matter.

Really needs a black roof though but his car so i guess he built it the way he wanted and a white roof is a lot cooler in Sunny CA.

It looks to have been restored correctly and to a very high standard and apart from the colour and the wheels it would not take much to make it very close to correct.

BruceK

Things are heating up for some of the Minis on BaT - with still many days left in the auctions. 

The red/white (formerly green/white) Cooper S is already at $32K with 5 days left (!). 

And the red/white Mini 850 done up nicely like a winning rally replica is up to $20K with 4 days left. 

The all red Mini 1000 from NZ is yet to make $6K with less than a day left. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

And the non-Mini Burton is over $10K with 2 days left... 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on October 04, 2020, 02:28:04 PM
Things are heating up for some of the Minis on BaT - with still many days left in the auctions. 

The red/white (formerly green/white) Cooper S is already at $32K with 5 days left (!). 

And the red/white Mini 850 done up nicely like a winning rally replica is up to $20K with 4 days left. 

The all red Mini 1000 from NZ is yet to make $6K with less than a day left.

I think that the rally replica will need to bring top dollar to sell, the owner indicated it was expensive to buy but being overseas may hurt the bidding.

The NZ Mini is cheap at less than $6k with a decent 1275 but needs a fair amount of cosmetic work.

The 67S should do $40k plus imo even though it is not 100% original.

Michael's Burton is the best looking 2CV factory built kit car I have seen way better than the Lomax ones.
GLWTA Michael.

BruceK

And now a Moke is on BaT.   Looks to be a nice one.

It's said to be one of the early Portuguese-built Mokes, and it is definitely dark RED - a color not often seen on Mokes. 

Within the first hour, the very first bid is a healthy $15,000 one which in no way should be regarded as a *cough*shill*cough* bid.  ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-austin-mini-moke/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S