Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Yeah. That's really bugged me too.  I think they should have filled the empty holes with something.  Regular turn signal lenses that wouldn't be used for example.  Or fog lights.  Or driving lights.   Or blanking plates. 

Maybe something like on Enzo Ferrari's Mini Cooper?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Perfect for using to run brake ducts!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Great idea!   Reminds me of the little round grilles on the old Volvo 164.  I think those were for the horns.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Wow, I did not expect that surf blue Mini with the little trailer to stall out at $11K....I'll have to go back and read the rest of the listing to see if I can learn why it died off so badly.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 04, 2020, 03:45:20 PM
Wow, I did not expect that surf blue Mini with the little trailer to stall out at $11K....I'll have to go back and read the rest of the listing to see if I can learn why it died off so badly.....

Not even a single bid on the final day of the auction!   That's some serious lack of interest. 

I wonder if the novelty of the trailer possibly hurt it?  Kept it out of consideration for some?   (I realize it was a big attraction for others, but comments left by some of them expressed regrets they couldn't buy it).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Scargo

The Mini & a half is now listed on Mania for $22K. Good luck with THAT !!

For a car that spent the first 26 years of it's life in the UK, the seller should have posted photos of the refurbishment process (if he has any), concentrated on showing the condition of the usual rust prone areas, and shown more photos of the under body and exposed floor pans under the carpets etc. Instead he chose to show dozens of redundant photos of door handles, headlights, tail lights and dash instrumentation.

The novelty of the useless trailer most likely turned off some of the serious bidders. If I were interested in the car, I would have asked the seller how much of a credit he would offer for not including the trailer.

If it's a '78, why is it not titled as a Leyland Mini in lieu of an Austin Mini?

MPlayle

Quote from: Scargo on September 05, 2020, 07:31:16 AM

If it's a '78, why is it not titled as a Leyland Mini in lieu of an Austin Mini?

Each state's DMV database of car makers is slightly different and it may have been registered in a state that did not have Leyland in its list.

MiniDave

I think there was a reason he didn't show the underside of the car.....or the sills, or any of the other potential bad spots. that was a "Cars and Coffee" car only, I think.

So many people advertise their car as "it gets tons of look wherever you go", I've never understood why that's a selling point......but I guess that's the only reason some people buy a car. I buy them to drive them and have fun doing so! I'm less about the looks and more about the drive.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on September 05, 2020, 08:21:28 AM

Each state's DMV database of car makers is slightly different and it may have been registered in a state that did not have Leyland in its list.

I don't think any Minis, outside of maybe in Oz and NZ, were called Leyland Minis.  Licensing authorities in the UK continued to use the traditional name of Austin long after the marketing department just called them plain "Minis". My 1988 Mini was listed on its V5 document in England as an Austin when I imported it. So the state title also calls it in Austin.  This is well beyond any dealership in the UK having a big Austin sign hanging in front.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on September 05, 2020, 08:56:10 AM
I think there was a reason he didn't show the underside of the car.....or the sills, or any of the other potential bad spots. that was a "Cars and Coffee" car only, I think.

So many people advertise their car as "it gets tons of look wherever you go", I've never understood why that's a selling point......but I guess that's the only reason some people buy a car. I buy them to drive them and have fun doing so! I'm less about the looks and more about the drive.

Judging by the flaking chipped paint and rust on the lower inside bottom of the door I am sure the underneath was just as scabby.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on September 05, 2020, 03:26:30 PM
Quote from: MPlayle on September 05, 2020, 08:21:28 AM

I don't think any Minis, outside of maybe in Oz and NZ, were called Leyland Minis.  Licensing authorities in the UK continued to use the traditional name of Austin long after the marketing department just called them plain "Minis". My 1988 Mini was listed on its V5 document in England as an Austin when I imported it. So the state title also calls it in Austin.  This is well beyond any dealership in the UK having a big Austin sign hanging in front.

They actually were called or fell under the umbrella of Leyland cars for a while well at least on a few of the V5's/titles on Minis I imported.

Scargo

In late '69 after BMC merged with Jaguar and transformed into British Leyland, the Austin and Morris brands ceased to exist. From that point on they were simply known as Mini and carried hybrid Mini badges with a Leyland insignia. The only exception to this was during a brief period in the mid-80's when Austin badges reappeared on some models. British Leyland ran the show until '86 which is when Rover took over until the end.

BruceK

Quote from: Scargo on September 06, 2020, 08:24:30 AM
In late '69 after BMC merged with Jaguar and transformed into British Leyland, the Austin and Morris brands ceased to exist. From that point on they were simply known as Mini and carried hybrid Mini badges with a Leyland insignia. The only exception to this was during a brief period in the mid-80's when Austin badges reappeared on some models. British Leyland ran the show until '86 which is when Rover took over until the end.

I don't dispute that at all.  But that doesn't change the fact that some people, some dealerships, and even the UK's national DVLA licensing authority continued to officially call them Austin Minis way into the late 1980s.   Not unlike how some people here in the US still think Dodge makes and sells new pickup trucks - but there hasn't been a new Dodge pickup made for over a decade now.

If you use this site below, besides understanding how many certain models are still left in the UK, you can also get a peek as to how Minis were licensed/titled. 

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=Leyland+mini
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The VTEC Mini in Canada sold for $22,500.   Sure looks like the seller took quite a haircut on that car.   I wonder if the buyer was in the US and is going to run the gauntlet on trying to import it?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

wow, I didn't think they were going to run the auctions today.....so much for the holiday?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Remember, they have been running international auctions for some time.  Labor Day is a US holiday and just another regular day for most the rest of the world.

BruceK

As far as I remember they run auctions every day including Christmas Thanksgiving.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Anyone else notice the absence of Miniguy from BaT bidding lately?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

His site has been down for the last 3 weeks.  He has also not been responding to calls or emails.

Jimini II

I was told all his ad's have been taken down too.
Did he remove your ad Michael?

MPlayle

MiniGuy's whole site has been down for just over 3 weeks.  He has also not responded to calls or emails for the same amount of time.

The ads he had posted for a couple cities on CraigsList seem to be gone.  The ad he posted for my Marcos on Mini Mania is still up.

I have my Burton accepted for listing on BaT.  I will see how that goes and may put the Mini Marcos up there as well since MiniGuy has gone missing.

Jimini II

That sounds like a good plan Michael.
Regarding listing the Marcos with BaT as the site attracts bidders from all over the World i could see it being sold in Japan or the UK where they are more well known.
I thought you just recently (this year) got the Burton?
Good luck with the sale of both.

MPlayle

Malcolm,

I did just get the Burton this year (bought it in December, but it did not ship until April and arrived in May).  With the economy the way it is and the oil & gas industry continuing to slump, I am having to give up the extra toys to protect finances.

I am keeping the red Saloon you helped me with last November.

MiniDave

When will the Burton go live on BaT?  What are you hoping to see out of it when it sells? Did they give you a good reserve? I've seen some pretty low reserves lately on cars they don't have a good track record with....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad