Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I saw a lot of RNM deals in today's BaT auctions.....I think if I had a car to sell I'd wait a while.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on March 12, 2020, 10:18:39 PM
Here's the previously mentioned VTEC Mini on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-austin-mini-cooper-7/

I think the Vtec did quite well as it sold for $26k.

The red/black S in the Netherlands is not doing so good as it is at $13,500 with 2 days to go.

Maybe as Dave stated it is not the right time to sell especially with the S being in Italy.

MiniDave

I was a little surprised that the Vtec did as well as it did, somebody really wanted it I guess.

Everyday it seems the only cars that are selling are no reserve and a few very specialty cars, the rest are going "Bid to"....and prices are definitely down except for the odd Ford GT, Dino and of course Porsches. But I'm thinking that will dry up soon too.

there may be some bargains out there to get in a few weeks if they keep the site up and running........if.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 18, 2020, 08:18:16 AM

there may be some bargains out there to get in a few weeks if they keep the site up and running........if.

It's kind of a of a paradox.  In the next few weeks, with many people idle during this mass worldwide shutdown, BaT will probably have greater than ever traffic on the site. 

Now, as to whether people will be willing (or even able) to spend money during this unusual time, that is another matter...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I agree, plenty of lookers, not so many with ready cash......

I'm really watching the stock market for bargains - I know many are going to get beat into the dirt but most will recover, and probably fairly quickly if we have a good recovery from the virus - like China has shown so far. If they don't get a significant rebound uptick in cases then it will bode well for a fairly quick recovery.

If they get another rebound of fresh cases, then all bets are off.

For some companies I think the stock rebound in price has already started upward.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The really nice red Cooper S in Italy was bid to $32,500 and went Reserve Not Met.   The world was a different place a week ago when that car was listed.  Now Italy is experiencing 600+ Covid-19 deaths a day and the US is in shutdown mode.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on March 19, 2020, 12:20:49 PM
The really nice red Cooper S in Italy was bid to $32,500 and went Reserve Not Met.   The world was a different place a week ago when that car was listed.  Now Italy is experiencing 600+ Covid-19 deaths a day and the US is in shutdown mode.

I'd expect little to no big sales for the foreseeable future.  Maybe next summer.  Looks like Dave will have to drive our mint innocenti for awhile! 

MiniDave

I'm hoping to have it running and driving this weekend, if the weather holds out.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on March 19, 2020, 12:20:49 PM

I am surprised it did that well not because of the condition of the car but more so the mess we are living in right now. That being said I would think it may have been a $35k car on a good day.
There is some discussion to the reverse stamped body number and a missing digit plus some other later pointers to this car not having it's original shell.

MiniDave

That and the cost/issues getting it shipped, I would have taken $35K all day.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

No Minis on BaT right now, but I'm sort of surprised the site is chugging along as usual during this pandemic.  I guess there is no person to person contact like a regular car auction so that makes is more desirable?  And perhaps some people need money and have to sell? Or perhaps others don't have any money issues at all and are bargain hunting?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Sure looks that way, I expected prices to really soften, and they did right at first as evidenced by a lot of RNM's, but since thing things seem to have firmed up again considerably.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Well up for grabs on BaT is Mark and Sarah Caldwell's ex Moke that they sold for $41k in 2018.
it looks the same as when it was last auctioned with only 200 more miles added. As Naples Florida is a beautiful area to own and drive a Moke you have to wonder why you would want to sell it after a short time and in also our current economy.
With that thought in mind I would think it will be hard to hit the $41k he paid for it.

MiniDave

Yeah, I posted in the thread ....no other Moke has come close in price since, has it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I think that red modified one did low 30's but that is still $10k off.
Not on BaT of course I am sure some folks with disposable income have paid more at Barret Jackson and Mecum etc.

pbraun

$50,000  US Dollars!  Whew!  Take my breath away! 
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Heck of a lot of "last minute" bidding on that one - reserve taken off at the $30K mark and then bidding climbed fast to the final $50K.

Now there is another green early Moke with trailer on BaT.  This latest one has an automatic (likely from an AA) and is running golf cart tires with lots of sidewall cracking.

MiniDave

Trying to cash in on the frenzy?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I would not have guessed $50k for that Moke in these times but there are individuals with really deep pockets that are doing business as usual.
A side note he sold it as there was not enough room for all his Grandkids to go to the beach, I imagine there will be some unhappy kids when they find out the Moke is gone.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on April 10, 2020, 03:13:46 PM

Now there is another green early Moke with trailer on BaT.  This latest one has an automatic (likely from an AA) and is running golf cart tires with lots of sidewall cracking.

This Moke was bid to $24K and went RNM (!).   That's a lota money for Moke retrofitted with an automatic and sporting old golf-cart tires.

I suspect the Reserve was allowed to be set that high by BaT because of the $50K Moke just the week before. Otherwise I think the Reserve would not have even been $20K on that car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yes, I think people get sucked into the "well, if HIS is worth that much, mine must be too!" thinking, when one is a completely restored original and the other........isn't.

OTOH, I don't think the auto trans should have been a detriment to the sale......as little as people drive their classics these days. If this car is driven at all it will trundle around town at 35 mph......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I received an email this morning from BaT with an update on their website stats.  I didn't ask for it just popped in the inbox. Looks like this lockdown has been great business for them:

"BaT continues to see record site traffic and strong results this month. Here are some statistics on auction activity through the first two weeks of April (and % change from April, 2019):

Total # of bids: 16,265 (+35%)
Value of lots sold: $13,571,969 (+35%)
New users: 7,573 (+49% )
Average auction views: 14,552 (+4%)
Average auction watchers: 785 (+24%)"

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, I got that too.....I threw it in the trash. They're trolling for business in my opinion. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't really need to know how much money they're making when the rest of the country and maybe the world is suffering.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

G67mcs

Agree Dave. I chalked it up as "advertisement" to solicit more participation.
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner