Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yes, prices seem to have settled back from the craziness of last summer although I think sought after cars like the very early cars and Mk1 Cooper S will still bring a premium.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on January 22, 2020, 10:51:14 AM
Quote from: Jimini II on January 15, 2020, 10:46:46 PM
Yes it was a fair price for a straight Mini.
There is a 70's Canadian Mini for sale on BaT now with a Mini Comp 1380 and disc brakes.
It needs a few things mainly removing the ugly CA bumpers and 10 inch golf cart tires.

The Canadian Mini sold at $9700. I thought it would be RNM a good buy imo for a 1380 Mini.

The engine was nice, but there were so glaring negatives on that car that I fell hurt it.  To wit:  super-ugly Canadian-spec bumpers, super-ugly Canadian side marker lights, and who the hell thinks it is a good idea to install unsafe golf cart tires on a car to be driven on public streets?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

Now there is a Choke electric Moke for sale on BaT.
I can't remember the price offhand but remember the last one that sold did quite well.

BruceK

And now there is a real Moke on BaT too.  Kinda stock but with massive Kenworth-sized 'roo bars.

I suspect this Moke will go for a bid in the low twenties.   But who knows?  It sort of has competition - for some bidders - with the electric Moke of the same color also on BaT right now.  It really depends on whether a buyer would be satisfied with a low-speed Moke-like electric thing with no maintenance as a little runabout, or wants an authentic gas-powered Moke that goes a lot faster, handles better, but must be maintained. 

Here's the real Moke: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-moke-6/

Here's the golf cart electric Moke with a 25 mph top speed:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-acg-mini-moke-electric/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And now another Mini has shown up on BaT.    This one is a bit of a world traveler:  Born in England, sold in Japan, exported later to Canada, then it came into the US.   But that is not necessarily good news, because it was later sent packing and now it's stuck out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in Hawaii.  The Hawaii location is going to make bidding on this car just a little unattractive to potential US mainland buyers I think.

It's been converted to LHD (too bad) and it's got a enviable ownership record having belonged to Jeremy Thorpe of Jet Motors as well as several IMSA drivers, so I bet it is very well sorted and quick.

However, this Mini is hard to look at because it is chock full of tchotchkes and needs a serious visual cleanup IMO. 

My guessimate, taking into account the positive of a built engine and the negative of the Hawaii location is that this Mini will be bid to the mid-teens. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-rover-mini-cooper/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Yes the LHD will help the bidding for some folks I agree rhd is the way to go but everyone are different.
It sounds good in the drive by video but is running a 3.9 FD (owner was going to autocross it) so it will be a screamer at 60 mph.
It looks like a very well sorted car built in a rust free Japanese shell.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on January 25, 2020, 10:53:19 AM
And now there is a real Moke on BaT too.  Kinda stock but with massive Kenworth-sized 'roo bars.

I suspect this Moke will go for a bid in the low twenties.   But who knows?  It sort of has competition - for some bidders - with the electric Moke of the same color also on BaT right now.  It really depends on whether a buyer would be satisfied with a low-speed Moke-like electric thing with no maintenance as a little runabout, or wants an authentic gas-powered Moke that goes a lot faster, handles better, but must be maintained. 

Here's the real Moke: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-moke-6/

Here's the golf cart electric Moke with a 25 mph top speed:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-acg-mini-moke-electric/

The 25 mph electric AGC Moke sold today for $12,750, a lot cheaper than previous ones but considering they are $17 to $18k new it seems enough imo for a 2017 model.

MiniDave

And the real Moke goes off tomorrow, just under $16K right now....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on January 27, 2020, 06:33:56 PM
And now another Mini has shown up on BaT.    This one is a bit of a world traveler:  Born in England, sold in Japan, exported later to Canada, then it came into the US.   But that is not necessarily good news, because it was later sent packing and now it's stuck out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in Hawaii.  The Hawaii location is going to make bidding on this car just a little unattractive to potential US mainland buyers I think.

It's been converted to LHD (too bad) and it's got a enviable ownership record having belonged to Jeremy Thorpe of Jet Motors as well as several IMSA drivers, so I bet it is very well sorted and quick.

However, this Mini is hard to look at because it is chock full of tchotchkes and needs a serious visual cleanup IMO. 

My guessimate, taking into account the positive of a built engine and the negative of the Hawaii location is that this Mini will be bid to the mid-teens. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-rover-mini-cooper/

It's already at $15K with 3 days left, so my initial guess was way off.  My new guess is $20K.   

What do you guys think?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I'm surprised its going for that much money when it's in Hawaii, but he got a deal to get it to Sandy Eggo at least.

The real Moke went for $23K

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

If you were paying someone to build a Moke for you I think it would be hard to do correctly for under $23k.
Anyway you look at it I would rather spend $23k on a real Moke compared to an electric Choke for $12k plus.
It looked relatively rust free just the usual small patching around the battery box area and the front panel was replaced which a lot of Mokes seem to get a new one when being restored they are flimsy at best.
Even at $23k though based on the comments it still needed a top, correct cushions, and UK bumpers.

I am surprised the red autocross Mini in Hawaii is doing as well as it is at $15k.
The good shipping price to California helps but there is no way it is getting registered there being a 92 model.
The 3.9 FD in it is for auto crossing and in 4th gear at 4000 rev's you will be doing 56 mph, it is not a long distance highway car.

MiniDave

Well Bruce, your intuition was good, it got bid to $19,800 and did not sell.....Maybe $20K would have done it!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Now there is a 67 Tinnie Countryman on BaT.
It looks decent but has over sills and some weird crossmember bolted on the sub frame under the diff/gearbox.
Nice wood wheel, rokee dash and disc brakes with 60's alloy wheels.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on February 05, 2020, 09:16:27 PM
It looks decent but has over sills and some weird crossmember bolted on the sub frame under the diff/gearbox.

Here's a link to that Mini.  With an 850 and being a tin wagon rather than a woody (nothing against the wood-less Mini estates, I used to own one) I think this Mini will be bid up to the low teens.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-countryman-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

According to a commenter it has been for sale on Craigslist for a long time, maybe she has/had it overpriced.
I too don't care either way on the wood kit but I think the 850 will hold it back.
Wagons have not been doing that great on BaT lately.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 07, 2020, 09:34:36 AM

Here's a link to that Mini.  With an 850 and being a tin wagon rather than a woody (nothing against the wood-less Mini estates, I used to own one) I think this Mini will be bid up to the low teens.

Spot on!  It sold for $13,850.  And the cool thing is that a previous owner of the Mini bought it back!  Like re-establishing a relationship with an old girlfriend!   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

yeah......rarely a good idea with a girlfriend.....but a Mini might be OK.

I wonder how the purchase price with buyers premium ($14,500)  compares to what he sold it for?

Wow, going back to Alaska from New York, one helluva trip!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Quote from: MiniDave on February 11, 2020, 03:26:11 PM
yeah......rarely a good idea with a girlfriend.....

That was my exact thought when I had a chance to buy my 07 back.  Looked like the 80k added after me had been rough. It's at a good home still in the metroplex and I did call dibs if he sells it. Even though by then it could be thoroughly worn out.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on February 11, 2020, 02:16:43 PM
Quote from: BruceK on February 07, 2020, 09:34:36 AM

Yes you were on the money.

I thought that was a good selling price considering what Estate's have been bringing lately.
As this one was an 850 with over sills I didn't think it would sell well, but as the old owner bought it back maybe he did all the repairs and did it right.

Spot on!  It sold for $13,850.  And the cool thing is that a previous owner of the Mini bought it back!  Like re-establishing a relationship with an old girlfriend!   ;D

BruceK

A woody is on offer over at BaT.   It's been given a 'rally-inspired' treatment and looks to be in pretty good shape.  I'm not a fan of the rally stuff, but somebody spent some time outfitting the car in that direction.

My guess, barring any controversy, is this puppy will be bid up to the high teens.  But who knows? Not everyone who wants a Mini is looking for an estate version, so it could suffer from that. 

What do you guys think?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-morris-mini-traveller-1275/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

It looks confused.  Rally car?  Family vacation traveler?  Fender mirrors? 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

I'll bet the reserve is at least $20K and it won't make it.....

However, it is a really nice little woody, I think I might like to have another wagon as long as it's LHD....I might even consider another Clubby

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

That looks like Paul Streiby's (sp) Traveller that he was trying to sell for $25k for a long time, I guess he sold or traded it as the seller is an Illinois dealer.

It has some nice goodies along with a 1293cc built S engine so it should do well.
Based on the Mini Estates that have been for sale lately they are not doing as well as they used to but as it is on BaT who knows personally I am thinking it will get close to $20k.

If you read the documentation at the end of the pictures in 1989 the then owner in the UK traded a 1967 Cooper S for the Traveller with some cash, I hope he got a boatload of cash.

You could probably sell off the rally dash and instruments for a decent sum and recoup some money if they are original

I like it overall but not a fan of the rally lighting socket hanging out of the front panel or the white roof or any two tone roof on an Estate but all easily sorted.

MiniDave

I don't mind the roof, but like you I would remove and sell the rallye stuff.

What the heck is that big plug on the front for? The rallye lights? I sure would have done that differently......

All the body and paint work, engine rebuild and so on were done 30 years ago......looks like it hasn't been driven since!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 27, 2020, 10:41:34 AM

What the heck is that big plug on the front for? The rallye lights? I sure would have done that differently......

That plug was a feature on a few of the BMC works rally cars.  I think the idea was for a quick change of a whole lighting assembly.   Plug and play! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S