Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Looks like there are some questions about its Heritage.
Decent looking car but with a new vin plate and a missing engine number and other items it is not worth S money imo.

tmsmini

I am glad I owned an S a long time ago. If I win the lottery tonight, I might think about a 1071.
I realize people on BAT are making comments based on the silly money S types are getting these days. But just surviving 50+ years is amazing.

My 66 S ended up with a MK II binnacle because I ordered a replacement from BMC twice, each order taking about six weeks. Finally I gave up on getting the correct one, took the MK II replacement and drilled some holes.

MiniDave

There's a guy in Oregon making correct replacements now - Jeff10039 knows him.....

I had a very early 1071 S, German export model, single tank, it was a sweetheart to drive - had dry suspension, no brake booster, TINY disc brakes and ran like a cat that got it's tail stepped on!

BTW, was the S the only Mini that got the 1071 motor?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Dave,

The 1071 motor was indeed only in the Mini as an 'S' motor as far as I know.

tmsmini

Quote from: MiniDave on November 09, 2019, 01:21:40 PM
There's a guy in Oregon making correct replacements now - Jeff10039 knows him.....

This was 45 years ago when the only place you could order those from was BMC. I don't even think Mini City carried those.

I have ordered the instrument pods from the guys in Bend
https://rhinofabrication.com/product-category/mini-cooper/
I even bought a spare!

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

mascher

This car has a very original 1959/1960 body shell. The windshield and rear window are not inset, the gutter drains are oblong holes and it has no cutouts in the front valance.
Kelley

Quote from: MiniDave on November 08, 2019, 09:10:19 PMAnother Cooper S on BaT..... https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-austin-mini-cooper-s-6/

MiniDave

Yeah, WAY too many questions on this one to invest $35-50K blindly. Given the lack of participation by the seller, I'm pretty sure this one is going RNM. At this point I don't know what the seller can say in defense of the car - too many people like Kelley know these cars to slide one by......

Too bad BaT doesn't have a way to vet these cars out before listing them, too many people on that site have intimate and accurate knowledge of these cars to fool anyone.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Now there is a Austin Mini beach car up for auction.
The last one sold for $181,500 at Bonhams so this one of 15 being a one family owned and about 95% correct should do well.

MiniDave

And I thought Wayne Carini was nuts to pay $60K for a Fiat Jolly!   :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

That beach car is amazing.. Kinda wonder how 13 or so built examples actually traded hands...  or in this case the dealer owner kept for himself...

What a great car to highlight and catalog date codes with.
  Ignition switch, Dip Switch ,  wiper motor, trunk latch   and more.. just for reference..

This will be a crazy watch ... Very unique car.. but will require VERY unique buyers.. and a Bonhams / Big acuction house.. Do they bring the buyers   or can BAT bring the big buyer here....

Miniguy is on the case!

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on November 11, 2019, 01:45:18 PM
Yeah, WAY too many questions on this one to invest $35-50K blindly. Given the lack of participation by the seller, I'm pretty sure this one is going RNM. At this point I don't know what the seller can say in defense of the car - too many people like Kelley know these cars to slide one by......

Too bad BaT doesn't have a way to vet these cars out before listing them, too many people on that site have intimate and accurate knowledge of these cars to fool anyone.

Yes the green/white S got to $21k RNM.
I don't know where that car with a non original shell will be worth any more money, that vin number is on the internet now for everyone to see.

MiniDave

Two more Classic Minis have popped up on BaT.....one a very nice 67/68 Cooper S and the second a 93 Italian Job.....however, I thought all the IJ's were 998's?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I have only owned one IJ it looked stock and it was a 1275.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on November 17, 2019, 06:50:52 PM
Two more Classic Minis have popped up on BaT.....one a very nice 67/68 Cooper S and the second a 93 Italian Job.....however, I thought all the IJ's were 998's?

No, the Italian Job arrived after Rover discontinued the 998 and moved all Minis to the 1275 engine.  Coincided with the effective relaunch of the mainstream Cooper model following the success of the nostalgic limited run RSP Cooper.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

The Italian Job Mini sold at $13250 which I thought was a good price.
The white Cooper S sold for $19,670 which i thought would be RNM and also thought it was a bargain.
There is a nice Innocenti T Estate and another 67 Cooper S bitsa on BaT currently.

Jimini II

Quote from: Jimini II on November 14, 2019, 05:14:42 PM
Now there is a Austin Mini beach car up for auction.
The last one sold for $181,500 at Bonhams so this one of 15 being a one family owned and about 95% correct should do well.

Well the Austin Mini beach car just sold for a whopping $230,000 amazing !!!!

MiniDave

Holy crap on a cracker!  :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

New World record.
The last one which was fully restored sold for $184,500 at Bonhams in 2014.
This one was not restored and BaT caps their auction fees at $5k so it did a lot better.
I wonder what the reserve was?

Jimini II

Well two more rnm Minis.
The red "S" did $14k plenty of money for what it was imo.
The nice Innocenti T wagon did $13,800 the 850cc engine held it back.
Now onto the green 67 S currently offered with some patina but all there.

MiniDave

I never thought that red one should have been listed with a non-matching vin - and engine, and transmission, and on and on......

I agree, 850's just don't do so well on BaT......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

The green 67 S belongs to an acquaintance of mine. Guy is a real car guy and the mini has been well cared for.  I've personally seen this car. 
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Jimini II

The almond green S was a no sale and rnm at $20,250.
With the rust repairs and other maintenance needed I would have thought $20k would have bought it, patina and originality are one thing but when it comes to rust a lot of buyers are scared away.

MiniDave

Yeah, I wonder what he thought it would bring....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad