Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Sandwich plate on the remote means it probably didn't come from a Mini, wouldn't you say? Unless the Authi folks used the AA style set up?

People pointed out the difference in paint color on the doors - Dan and I have had many discussions about this. My contention is that when the doors are painted separately from the body (and often weeks or months later) that there's almost no way to make the paint match. Differences in temperature, humidity and even the age of the paint and the mix of thinner, air pressure, moisture in the air line - any number of things that can spell a difference - shoot, even how far the door is off the floor compared to the body shell means the angle of the spray will be different. I also pointed out that no factory paints their cars this way....rather they paint it all at once, then take the doors back off to assemble them, then remount them on the car later down the production line.

I can't count how may cars I've seen on BaT with "fresh" paint where the doors in particular don't match - some glaringly so.

Dan says he thinks it's not a problem if the painter knows what he's doing and takes some car with it.

As to Michael's post, I did not know that they turned down more cars than they list. I wonder just how big they will grow the auction site? Just the number of Porsches changing hands on BaT is staggering....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

It has a few quirks but at least the 850 has been replaced with a 1275.
I don't understand why Mini owners don't convert to Discs before installing bigger engines, yes for the most part when everything is working good they are "marginally" fine but imo converting to discs up front it is one of the best things you can do to a stock Mini.

gr8kornholio

Idk. The PO of mine put a built 1380 in it and was still running the drums. He hadn't upgraded cause the $1500 cost from 7.  Luckily I know better and got it for $600 from spares.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

That one door is darker in the pics.  It could be the body was primered in white and the door repaired, primed in grey, then sprayed.  We had this issue with Vikrams car when I shot the doors way after the fact.  Usually will match right up but in his case the body primer was tinted and when I did the doors I used grey.  I forgot that detail. Live and learn.  I just painted the flip front on the 66 S after waiting a solid year and running out of the first batch of paint. Not only did I run out of paint but I had since switched to a different brand of paint that covers better.  I was worried it wouldn't match and I'd have to blend into existing paint that is perfect, doubling work and wasting money on clear.  But, it's a dead match.  When I did front end repair on the rx7 a couple years ago, which included fixing a door, I blended approximately halfway down the door vs spraying the whole door in color to avoid non matching panels.  If there is a difference the blending tricks the eyes and you'd never see it.  Turns out though the paint was nats ass on matching, but either way it's best to take out the risk.  Dave's clubman when I did repairs had something like 3 different shades of that cream color blended throughout the body.  Who knew.  Took a couple batches of paint before I got something that worked. 

Also let me note that using paint chips out of a book is really setting yourself up for failure.  Getting an electronic scan of existing paint is the only way to get something perfect, or perfect enough the human eye can't make out the difference.

BruceK

A 1973 Innocenti Mini Cooper has appeared on BaT.    This will be an interesting one to watch.   The car has some regular Mini non-Inno stuff on it, and has hail damage and rust too.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-mini-innocenti-cooper-s/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

And a poorly repaired left front fender with Bondo cracking thru the paint. And a filthy engine compartment.

But it has had a LOT of money spent on it getting suspension, brakes and other running gear sorted out....in fact, the invoices are staggering - to me. The one from Heritage garage in Costa Mucha was $6700! That was all for the suspension and brakes and such.....

Giant radio speakers in the door panels don't do it any favors either.....I loved reading the comments from the repair guy in Denver on his invoices. After repairing the door pulls (must have been the second time) he wrote "maybe this will last longer", sounded like he was a bit exasperated with it! :-)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I've heard that Heritage Garage and Jet Motors do great work.  But my oh my, do they charge mucho $$$$$$ for it. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

He said the left fender damage was due to a hail stone, but that all the rest of car only has tiny almost unnoticeable dings. I still think there is bondo under that crack on the left front fender

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

The red Mini just closed at $14,200 on BaT.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on September 18, 2019, 02:53:05 PM

A little above my high guess at $13K.  That's a fair amount of money for a disc brake car IMO.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on September 18, 2019, 12:21:30 PM
He said the left fender damage was due to a hail stone, but that all the rest of car only has tiny almost unnoticeable dings. I still think there is bondo under that crack on the left front fender

I agree there is a lot of bondo in those fenders. Look at the seam lines they are not original and look to have been "manufactured" by cutting into the bondo (old body man trick) plus the small upright seams under the headlights are now filled in and gone. 
Also i don't see the Inno factory vin plate just the vin number stamped into the inner fender.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on September 18, 2019, 03:00:42 PM

A little above my high guess at $13K.  That's a fair amount of money for a disc brake car IMO.

For a NON disc braked car with fiberglass floors ;)
He took the reserve off 5 minutes before the end of the auction, a smart move on his part.

MiniDave

Well, he sure fooled me - the guy that bought it was the one that jumped the bid $5K early on - I had him pegged as a shill for doing that. Congrats to the new owner - another Mini going to Maryland!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

seller blatantly lies about the glassed floors.  car is clearly full of rust with all the paint blisters
  just the shit paint alone is bad and says run yet brings 14k wow just wow. I feel for the new owner as the car will need floors and who knows what else. I 100% guarantee that the floor is full of glass can see it a mile away but hey apparently that's just anti gravel coating :) seriously disappointed in the seller and somewhat in bat. 

maybe the new owner will show up here and we will get the low down on the car. Hopefully, they can come out ok.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on September 18, 2019, 03:13:54 PM
Quote from: BruceK on September 18, 2019, 03:00:42 PM

For a NON disc braked car with fiberglass floors ;)
He took the reserve off 5 minutes before the end of the auction, a smart move on his part.

D'oh. I meant to say drum brake car!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Yes it did a lot of money for what it was imo.

MiniDave

Re-sale red......almost always works......def brought all the moneys.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Yeah, but it's a rusty bucket......only a good buy if you can do your owm panel replacement and paint work. Or if you know a guy.......

It's a good looking car that's for sure, and it looks complete and original except for the things Larry H pointed out.

I'd love a copy of that parts book!

Current price is pretty cheapo!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

As the owner has spent around $12k on this Inno in the past 6 years at the $7800 current bid with a few hours to go it may be RNM. I know these auctions pick up the pace in the last few hours but it would seem it has a long way to go unless the owner is having a fire sale which you never see on BaT LOL.
Part of those $12k worth of invoices is bodywork to the tune of $2800 ($2000 and $800) respectively which imo has no bearing as it all needs to be re done correctly.

On the good news front it looks like the seller is willing to send you a copy of the parts book Dave.

MiniDave

Yep, saw that....actually got a response from another poster in that thread too.....

BTW, it's a no reserve auction.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Just noticed that after i read the owners comment about he is going to miss the car after 10 years.

MiniDave

Whee, what do you consider ridiculously cheap?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Although the Innocenti needed work a lot of the mechanical work has been done by a reputable shop.
Depending on how much work the new owner can do himself it is a cheap way to get into an Innocenti Innocenti when you compare it to other basic Mini's that have sold recently.
Find a few of the missing Innocenti parts clean it up drive it for a while and see how far you want to go with it after that.
One things for sure it is going to California and if it gets registered there it will be worth $5k more just for the piece of paper :)

MiniDave

Boy howdy, that's the truth!

Assuming you can find them.....$500 grill, $500 rear light assemblies, $175 T/S assemblies, $1000  headlight assemblies. Then the rust work and hail damage (assuming you can fix the roof and don't have to weld a new one in) and an $8K paint job and $1500 to ship it he'll be in it about $22-25K if done well.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad