Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 19, 2019, 04:45:22 PM

I think the negative MiniGuy talk on the other one absolutely killed that auction, they should remove it and relist it again another time.

I agree.   With just a couple of hours remaining in this 7 day auction, bids are only up to $3,500 (!).  For a Cooper S!  Seems dead, dead, dead at this point. 

Even if some more bids materialize, there is a reserve and I bet it is well north of $20K, so RNM is almost a sure thing. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Bid to $13,500", BaT's way of saying the seller had rose colored glasses on and the real market spoke in a different language.

Or RNM.   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Still, that is a considerable amount of action in bid level during the last hour considering it was still at $3700 about 1.5 hours ago.

MiniDave

I thought it was a very reasonable result for that car - given it needed everything  and had a locked up engine. I'd rather have that blue Inno for $20K

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A Mk. I Cooper S has just appeared on BaT.  It's the perfect color combination (I might be biased on that)   ;D

And this car is said to have some history with a famous race team and track owner later  (but not as a race car).

The first 2 bids were under $2,200, then the third bidder just ploppled a big bag 'o money on the table and bid $24K!!  In the first hours of the 7 day auction.  This is going to be interesting!

I suspect this car will be nit picked to pieces but still receive a lot of $$$. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-cooper-s-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Well, there are a lot of nits to pick, everything from the single carb, incorrect grill and lights, filled in seams on the front fenders, paint that doesn't match, and a lic plate that says "64 S instead of the as listed 65.

And what about the incorrect seat covers that don't match any of the rest of the interior, and the (possibly) incorrect inner axle joints?

Still, if it proves to be an actual S model, then it is a running, driving S as compared to the ones with seized engines that need "everything" to be a usable car again. I don't see this one bringing the really big money unless the Jim Hall provenance can be proven.

Whenever I see a big bid like that early in the auction it really raises a red flag for me.

Dry suspension and no oil cooler on this car too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

There is a card or a magnet in one of the pictures for Antique Auto Restoration in Seaside.
This is a YELP link to reviews:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/antique-auto-restoration-seaside

My 1966 had the rubber joints originally.

MiniDave

That link seemed to go to a T&T place run by a Vietnamese guy?

Edit: My bad....I clicked in the wrong place.

Wow, they sure got banged up on Yelp!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I have never liked Yelp for that reason, too many links to other vendors.
But it was about all I could find on that restorer. Interesting that one of the negative reviews is from a MOASF member who caravaned with us to MMW Hood River last year.

I seem to remember hearing about a Jim Hall Mini, but someone posted that it is still in Texas.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 23, 2019, 11:41:34 AM
A Mk. I Cooper S has just appeared on BaT.  It's the perfect color combination (I might be biased on that)   ;D

And this car is said to have some history with a famous race team and track owner later  (but not as a race car).

The Provenance of this car having had famous owners is taking a beating over at the auction.    Don't know if that affects the value but it doesn't look good when an owner claims something and it's challenged by multiple people.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I liked the comment "If this is Jim Hall's car shouldn't it have an automatic"  ;D

Whee - Jim Hall is famous for putting 2 speed Powerglide automatic transmissions in his CamAm cars.....

After all the negative comments, the price is still up to $24,000 with 6 days to go! Wonder if anyone else is gonna step up now. That's the problem with a big early bid, you never know when what you thought was a real buy turns out not to be.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

And a vacuum cleaner in the rear for suction, Chaparral Mini 2J

MiniDave

Watching the auction on the Innocenti in Halifax, it reminds me of a Mecum auction - I see the same names bidding on every auction.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

And we can deduce that some of those bidders want to bid more than bid to win.

About 10 minutes left (but of course that can change) and there was big last bid of over $5K over the previous bid to bring it up to $15K now.  I suspect it will go high teens or maybe even low twenties. 

I would hope the seller (and BaT) would not have an unreasonable reserve on this car. We'll soon find out!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 26, 2019, 12:35:08 PM
And we can deduce that some of those bidders want to bid more than bid to win.

About 10 minutes left (but of course that can change) and there was big last bid of over $5K over the previous bid to bring it up to $15K now.  I suspect it will go high teens or maybe even low twenties. 

I would hope the seller (and BaT) would not have an unreasonable reserve on this car. We'll soon find out!

Bid to $18,100 and can you believe it?  It went RNM!!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, I'm a little surprised it went RNM at $18,100......they wouldn't let Stan go that high on his reserve....

I think that last guy was in it to win it, he bumped himself several thou - I think the big $5K bid was a shill bid, that guy knew the reserve and wanted to get the action going....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Considering the seller (and BaT) started the auction with the car listed as a Morris and it was only through comments I made (and others made too) that they finally got their finger out and realized/acknowledged it was, in fact, an Innocenti, I am very surprised at the RNM.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I'm surprised they put that high a reserve on a Morris!

A 998 too....

However, I've seen a real trend on BaT on low mileage cars bringing a real premium, that's the only theory I can come up with that supports that high a reserve.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 24, 2019, 04:56:24 PM
Quote from: BruceK on August 23, 2019, 11:41:34 AM

The Provenance of this car having had famous owners is taking a beating over at the auction.    Don't know if that affects the value but it doesn't look good when an owner claims something and it's challenged by multiple people.

Interesting turn of events on the white Cooper S on BaT.   Multiple people have stated the car is not the Jim Hall Mini.  Now someone who says HE is the owner of the Jim Hall Mini has also chimed in.

And that has been met by complete radio silence from the Seller for the past 3 days. That's not a good tactic. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 26, 2019, 01:00:21 PM
I'm surprised they put that high a reserve on a Morris!

A 998 too....

However, I've seen a real trend on BaT on low mileage cars bringing a real premium, that's the only theory I can come up with that supports that high a reserve.

Claiming "low mileage" on a 55 year old car, that many people considered disposable, is a joke.  Other than copious amounts of unimpeachable good old fashioned detailed paperwork going back all the decades, there is no way to legitimately claim low mileage. 

Perhaps if you have a high end car like a Ferrari or Rolls you might try to make that claim.  But with a Mini?!   :-[
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Good point.

I'm also always surprised at how the seller clams up when they get "found out" instead of just saying "I was mistaken" and going on to support the merits of the auction based on the merits of the car itself. While having a famous celebrity name attached to the ownership of a car can help it bring big bucks (The Beatle's minis that sold recently are a good example) I don't know how much Jim Hall's name would add to the value of this car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, the white Cooper S with the questionable history and weird front fenders went RNM at $24,750.

Lesson learned, you need to be upfront about anything "different" about your car - the experts will spot it and crucify the sale if you don't have a good clean explanation.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 30, 2019, 11:57:37 AM
Well, the white Cooper S with the questionable history and weird front fenders went RNM at $24,750.

Lesson learned, you need to be upfront about anything "different" about your car - the experts will spot it and crucify the sale if you don't have a good clean explanation.

Not to mention the seller completely glossed over the fact that it came to light it wasn't really Jim Hall's Mini.   That was the car's claim to fame when the auction started!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

BruceK

Another Mini popped up on BaT a couple of days ago.  It's listed as a "1973 Mini 850 Deluxe 1.3L" which is a bit of an oxymoron. 

The URL seems to be geared for the auction of a Morris Mini, but this car is an Authi, so it's from a pretty rare branch of the Mini family tree. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-morris-mini-850-deluxe-2/

Some harsh comments so far, but my guess is this will be bid to perhaps $12K or $13K and might go RNM.  But then again, being a 1973 it avoids some of California's more onerous and overreaching vehicle regulations.  So that might bring some interest and more money from bidders in that state.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S