Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Considering the mileage is around 80k the interior and whole car for that matter looks to be in great shape.

MiniDave

Bruce hit that grey Mini right on the nose - sold for $15,500 today.

There have been a LOT of no-sales on BaT lately, and a lot of much more reasonably priced sales too.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

And now there's a Jet Black 88 Jap spec Mini on BaT.....looks like a nice car, but 998 and period A/C? Make an 850 look fast!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-rover-mini/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 05, 2019, 08:50:00 PM
Bruce hit that grey Mini right on the nose - sold for $15,500 today.

Dumb luck on my part!  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 05, 2019, 09:13:01 PM
And now there's a Jet Black 88 Jap spec Mini on BaT.....looks like a nice car, but 998 and period A/C? Make an 850 look fast!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-rover-mini/

My white Mini was born as a limited edition Jet Black model like this one.  Just for kicks, I checked the VIN to see if the two cars came off the line near each other.   They sure did NOT.  My car's VIN sequential number is some 13,000 (!) more than this one.    8.gif   That's a bit of a head scratcher since they only made 3,000 Jet Black models.  I guess they did not just make a big batch of them at one time and instead spread them out of a long period of time.

It sure looks good on the 10" wheels (instead of the skinny 12" ones it originally came with) combined with the black paint.

Still no photos of the bottom of the car.  Assuming photos arrive and the car is not crusty, my guess is this car will be bid to around $12K-$13K and may go RNM. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Front cones look collapsed, don't they?

998's just don't bring the big moneys...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

mascher

I don't see a clutch master cylinder.
Kelley

MiniDave

It must be hidden behind the brake master, but when you look at the interior shots it has all three pedals.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Geez, a half day to go and the Jet Black Mini is getting no love at all.  Only bid to $5300 so far and RNM is looming.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 11, 2019, 07:26:58 PM
Geez, a half day to go and the Jet Black Mini is getting no love at all.  Only bid to $5300 so far and RNM is looming.

I was off in my original guess, but I was correct about it going RNM.  It was only bid to $10,500.  Perhaps a fair bid, but I thought it would go higher.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Even tho it was pretty nice, I think that was a reasonable price for this car. Wonder what he was expecting?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A long-term storage Mk. II Cooper S just went live on BaT.   This car has the Fred Flintstone floor feature!  And it is crunchy all over and has not been on the road since Richard Nixon was the President.    The 45+ years since then have not been too kind to this Mini. 

But it is a Cooper S, and a Mk. II one at that.  So I think we can expect some crazy pricing on this 'project'.  My guess is this will be bid into the $20Ks.  Maybe more if dark, rose-colored glasses are worn by some bidders.

Me?  Call me crazy but I think I would have spent the 30 seconds it takes to attach the grille for the photos (grille button equipped!).  Would have looked more like a complete car that way.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-austin-mini-cooper-s-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Well, if that white "barn find" Mk1 that needed EVERYTHING could bring $54K.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 13, 2019, 06:14:42 PM
Well, if that white "barn find" Mk1 that needed EVERYTHING could bring $54K.......

That was pure crazy.  I can't see that being repeated again.  Certainly not here.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Have to agree on that Bruce, BaT seems to bring a knee jerk price reaction to the first of the OMG they do exist cars and then they all come out of the wood work and the market realizes they aren't that rare.  Same thing happened recently with the 240Z market.  First original type one went for 40-50K I think and then just like that BaT became Ba240Z followed by plummiting prices. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

A lot of comments have been flagged as "non-constructive" on the Mk. II Cooper S auction and are now hidden from view.  Seems to have been a discussion about MiniGuy. 

Apparently this car was on MiniGuy's site for quite a while unsold and the seller wants it removed from there since it is now on BaT.   Guess what?  It's still on MiniGuy's site. 

Wonder if MiniGuy will make a half-assed BaT bid on this car?   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I have heard a bit more of the back-story directly from Michael Lewis.

The seller had basically signed a deal on the car and then decided to back out in order to put it on BaT to try for more money (seller's remorse?).  Someone in the comments on BaT noted its older listing on MiniGuy as still active and called out the discrepancy.  The seller openly asked bidders to not contact MiniGuy.  MiniGuy updated the posting on his site to reflect the change in status and backing out of the prior deal.

The various comments about the conflict seem to have all been flagged on BaT.

MiniDave

I sat next to Michael Lewis at the Mini EMW dinner, we had a lot of interesting conversations - but I tread lightly.

BTW, he's really tall!

Tyler Gildred of Gildred Racing was also at our table, I really enjoyed talking to him about what he and his company are doing. Wish I had won the $1000 set of coil overs he gave away!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Hmmm... Thanks for the backstory.    I've seen instances before when a seller has a vehicle on BaT and they are still listing it on eBay and/or Craigslist.  Or Hemmings.  The commentators always seem to find out about these 'have your cake and eat it too' situations.  Sounds like the seller wanted to conveniently forget his arrangement with MiniGuy.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Speaking of "backstories", ...

Do folks here follow the "MileMarker" stories on BaT?

MiniDave

Yes, the writer is a friend of mine named Rich from many years ago, it's fun to read those because when I do I hear them in the author's voice.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Wow, they even flagged my comment on the MKII S, and while I don't remember what I said, on Classic Minis I'm usually very supportive!

Seems the "flagger" has gone into overdrive!

I wonder if those are all MiniGuy comments, and MiniGuy asked them to be flagged, or did it himself? Wonder how that works?

Whatever happened, it fairly killed the bidding.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah I made a comment there yesterday that the hidden flagged comments number almost as many as the visible comments. 

This situation does not bode well for a successful auction.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Now there is a Mk. I Innocenti on BaT.  Said to be a 998 Cooper, this is a complete, running car -- and same color as the rusty Cooper S. 

It  is sure to draw attention away from the Cooper S.  Sure, 998cc vs. 1275cc, Cooper vs. Cooper S, but a running car that can be DRIVEN is much more appealing than a project of unknown costs and complexity.

Even though it is just a 1 liter car, my wild guess is this puppy will go for into the high teens.  Maybe higher?  Going against it is the fact it is in another country and way up North in Nova Scotia.  That could hurt it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-morris-mini-cooper/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_model_notification

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Really nice car, and the importation should not be a detriment on this one like some of the cars that were over the pond. Interesting that the 998 engine makes 60 hp. Some 1275's didn't make that much.....

I would love to have this one, with it's low miles and super clean condition it should only go up in value. I think it should go close to $20K also.....

I would have this over a MK1 S with dubious pedigree and needing everything anyday.

I think the negative MiniGuy talk on the other one absolutely killed that auction, they should remove it and relist it again another time.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad