Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on June 09, 2019, 05:27:32 PM
Another Mini is on BaT, this time a Mk. II Mini.  On the plus side, it is a Mk. II car, but there are some paint issues, and the interior is tatty and missing items.  Sporting a tuned 998, my wild guess is this car will be bid to about $11K. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-austin-austin-mini-cooper-mk2-2/

I am surprised this MK II is not doing better at $4k with one day to go. Yes it needs a few interior pieces but what work has been done looks decent, surely this will be RNM unless there are some real bidders out there.

Jimini II

Quote from: jedduh01 on June 13, 2019, 10:58:49 AM
Wow... that interior is 'umm... modified.

all the parts are there but just that steering column is wow.. and then the gas tank is in the passenger compartment to give a trunk.. Sure its probably fine. but no thanks.'

I bet it doesn't Pass 15K.

Yeah no one is liking the interior mods which i think would look and show a lot better painted satin black.
The gas tank in the rear seat and the seats and column moved as far back as possible points towards the builder/owner trying to get that to the perfect 50/50 balance.
As stated in the write up it is best suited and is set up firm to do track days.
That being said it looks rust free and and some attention to detail in the build.

gr8kornholio

BaT is becoming car snob central.  If it isn't perfect original condition or a concourse restore the haters hate and hate hard.  Going to turn the site in to Mecum before long and all the regular cars/trucks will be back on eBay and craigslist.  The comments on obvious customs or one offs are just ridiculous any more. 

Now the Vtec deserves some bashing, I mean i get the console and extended seats and steering but dang if looks should be some part of the consideration.  Now saying that, it should be pretty simple to move the tank, shorten the column and bring interior back to somewhat normal looking fairly easy and then bam, you have a solid, straight vtec mini.  Add the AC and track across the states  71.gif
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

The blue Mini came thru in the end finishing at $17,500. Better than I expected given the lack of activity the rest of the week.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Yes i just looked at the blue one and was surprised it finished so strong especially as it needed some work.

Now an early smooth roof  project Traveller/Countryman is up for auction.

MiniDave

You know that blue Countryman/Traveler would make a nice car, but it needs a lot of work, and if you were to pay someone to do it, it would quickly outrun the value of the car - I think the little wagon will be hard pressed to make $10K in the condition it's in now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Yes it would. Looking at the A panel and rear valances i question how much filler was used on the body itself.

MiniDave

Wow, that Vtec Mini on BaT brought $26,500, that was a strong result. The last one - which I think was nicer - a year ago only brought $20K. Strong result for a car a lot of people panned over the interior modifications, such as the fuel tank in place of the back seat and the modified steering and console.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I'm guessing a well sorted driving ugly interior vtec is better than a good looking vibrating uncontrollable poop box of a vtec.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Quote from: gr8kornholio on June 18, 2019, 06:02:33 PM
I'm guessing a well sorted driving ugly interior vtec is better than a good looking vibrating uncontrollable poop box of a vtec.

That is the same thing i said in the comments it takes a lot of work to get to the finish line on a VTEC build and having to sort out some interior issues is a walk in the park compared to the rest of the build. I was surprised with the owner not using a beam axle set up instead of the old sub frame especially as he had seemed to go to great lengths to get the car as close to a 50/50 balance as he could.
At $26,500 I still think it did all the money though.

MiniDave

The little blue wagon only brought $5800, towards the end the seller admitted it needed a LOT of work, and that's why they decided to just sell it. Winner was Marinlands, who sold his Moke on BaT last year for $41K!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It's been a while, but now BaT is auctioning a Mini again.   

This one is a JDM car, and BaT says it has been 'backdated' to look older than it is with Mk. II/ Mk. III taillights, 10" wheels, etc.  Doesn't seem to have any issues, and is the recipient of a new 998 engine too.  The electric cooling fan isn't exactly circa 1985, but can't hurt.

With a 1 litre engine my guess is this will be bid up to the low teens. Maybe higher?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-mini-mk-v-1000/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I think it will struggle to get to 12-13K.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 11, 2019, 02:50:20 PM
I think it will struggle to get to 12-13K.....

Because of the 998 vs. a 1275?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Seat covers, the 998 is not fresh, just the head got worked over....a few other things, but overall it's a nice enough car I guess.

998's generally just don't make the numbers.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 11, 2019, 04:37:55 PM
Seat covers, the 998 is not fresh, just the head got worked over....a few other things, but overall it's a nice enough car I guess.

998's generally just don't make the numbers.

The BaT write up says

"...He [seller] has since replaced the engine, rebuilt the cylinder head, and installed a new head gasket, water pump, high-performance alternator, battery, RC40 muffler, Spax suspension, Cooper S disc brakes, ..." 

I took that to mean a fresh engine.  But I can see it could just mean exchanging engine A for engine B which is is how you are reading it, right?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yes, that was my interpretation.....the seat covers are just pulled over the original covers

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well Bruce, I got a little closer on this one than your guess......$12,250 on the blue Mini 1000

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

And now, a Mini Van! This one is located in Spain, and I think the last one they tried didn't do so well, mostly because of import and shipping costs.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-austin-minivan/

Although this one has a back seat, so I don't know how it could be a van? Originally a LHD export model.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

WalterSmith

Guys any one know approximate price range of Austin Mini Cooper, in USA.

Jimini II

Depends on a lot of variables year, condition, running, engine size etc. Also depends if the car is a real Cooper or S model or just a basic Mini.
On the low end $5k will buy you a runner needing work but the average ones sell in the $8k to $15k range.
Cooper's and S's bring a lot more money up to $40k and then some depending on the year and the car.

mascher

It's likely a wood load floor van with the BMC rear seat kit. These were made for export only to avoid import taxes on personal vehicles that often didn't exist for commercial vehicles in many countries. This one was shipped to the Canary Islands so that makes sense. I have seen several in the U.S., all I believe imported from South America. This is the first one I've seen that had the back seat but didn't have aftermarket side windows. The van body has a different style of horizontal support running front to back compared to an estate, which is designed for sliding windows. The vertical reinforcing post in the same area is unique to vans but is often cut when windows are installed.
Kelley

Jimini II

I have seen converted vans with two windows in each side so they kept the vertical brace and boy do they look goofy.

BruceK

An early production later Mini Cooper (boy is that a confusing statement) has now turned up on BaT.   This is a LHD model made in 1992, so it is pre-FI.  Having that carb makes is more desirable in my opinion.   This was RNM recently on BaT when it was located in Italy, but now it has been brought into the US and put back on BaT.  That change in location, and with all the importing paperwork and registration done (which scares some people) means it should find a bigger audience now. 

Looks pretty clean and the only negative might be the high mileage.  I am thinking this will bring somewhere around $15K even with all the usual crap about difficulties in registering it in the Peoples Republic of California.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-rover-mini-6/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad