;D ;D ;D ;D

Imagine that!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on March 15, 2019, 02:54:44 PM
BTW it looks like Michael Lewis/Mini Guy is bidding on this.

Not to be unkind, but based upon the MiniGuy bidding history results on the other 114 auctions so far I don't predict a win.  But who knows?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on March 14, 2019, 07:37:18 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on March 14, 2019, 06:03:36 PM
Another little green wagon....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-morris-traveller/

Hmm.  Body work and painting done on it.  That means somebody had the great opportunity at that time to make the roof not black and they didn't act in the best interest of the car.   The wheels could also very much benefit from being not gold.

Also not a fan of the missing rear seat.  They are so simple in the wagons you could probably just build one from scratch.

This Traveller was bid to only $10,250 where it did not sell.  Numerous mentions of the black roof and gold wheels hurting interest.  I guess some could not see beyond that.

And MiniGuy's bid to win ratio is now 114 auctions to 0 wins. Ouch. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A Mini has just popped up on BaT.   I think the comments on this one will be interesting.

Question: What if you had one semester of wood shop in 10th grade and later in life you decided to build yourself a Mini dashboard?  I think this car has that answer!   ;D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-mini-austin-1000/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Wow.

Just wow..............

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Quote from: BruceK on March 21, 2019, 05:25:07 PM
Quote from: BruceK on March 14, 2019, 07:37:18 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on March 14, 2019, 06:03:36 PM
Another little green wagon....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-morris-traveller/

Hmm.  Body work and painting done on it.  That means somebody had the great opportunity at that time to make the roof not black and they didn't act in the best interest of the car.   The wheels could also very much benefit from being not gold.

Also not a fan of the missing rear seat.  They are so simple in the wagons you could probably just build one from scratch.

This Traveller was bid to only $10,250 where it did not sell.  Numerous mentions of the black roof and gold wheels hurting interest.  I guess some could not see beyond that.

And MiniGuy's bid to win ratio is now 114 auctions to 0 wins. Ouch.

This one just popped up on Mini Mania's classifieds with an asking price of $18500.

MiniDave

Well I thought the $10,250 bid was seriously under what it should sell for despite the black roof and gold wheels....so I'm not surprised to see it on MM for a higher price.

I think he was also the victim of his own lack of efforts - he pretty much stayed out of it till the end, but what can you do really? The car is what it is......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Yes it was noted as being listed as a Morris Traveller with no mention of Mini in the title.
Along with the black roof and gold Cosmics the lack of a rear seat did not help. One thing that the car had and i hate to see on any Mini is the front under headlamp wing to front panel seams filled or any seams filled to be honest as they are there for a reason that front end flexes.

BruceK

With just two days left ago, the mini with the stripes and custom plywood dashboard is not getting very much love on BaT. It's at $4100 now and comments seem to have really tailed off too.   

My wild ass guess is it will be bid to about $10K-$11K and go reserve not met. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

You know, it's a decent car....but decent cars are only bringing average money - you need something unique (and good looking! ) or with a good story.....and the stripes and dash sure hurt this one......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on March 31, 2019, 08:22:16 AM
With just two days left ago, the mini with the stripes and custom plywood dashboard is not getting very much love on BaT. It's at $4100 now and comments seem to have really tailed off too.   

My wild ass guess is it will be bid to about $10K-$11K and go reserve not met.

Well no love on this one is right it closed at a paltry $5501 with reserve not met and the seller claimed $22k Canadian around $16,500 US spent in the last two years on it.
Your own taste or in this case copying the paint scheme of a motor home does not always sit well with the next buyer.
I really admire the seller for being honest and showing the Mini in its worst shape but along with the dash and stripes as mentioned and the vinyl wrap i think it hurt the sale he would have been better off just showing the shell in primer after all that body work and welding was done.
This Mini should have been re shelled imo.

That Lotus Cortina in the garage looks nice though.

MiniDave

Whew! I bet MiniGuy was sweating bullets that he might win this one!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 02, 2019, 03:48:01 PM
Whew! I bet MiniGuy was sweating bullets that he might win this one!   ;D

Haha.  I'm sure he would be totally shocked!!

$5501 has to the the lowest RNM bid for a Mini ever on BaT. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, again the guy was his own worst enemy on that sale....the video was terrible - but he said his insurance had run out and there was still lot of snow on the roads, that's why he drove around his neighborhood at 25 mph with the camera oscillating between the floor and the roof every time he accelerated, braked or shifted.

And at the end he pointed out that he had the original black vinyl covered aluminum dash if someone wanted to change out the wooden one, I would think a few pics of that might have helped. My point is that he wasn't a very good salesman, that's all.

I think that car wasn't really worth much more than that given that it would need a complete paint job, and the dash rebuilt - and after all it was just a 70's Mini.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The dash rebuild would be problematic because the original dash rails were removed when it became a race car. Instead it just has two horizontal bracing tubes behind the wood and no standard Mini dash would fit without work.  Plus the big ass air box cutout is in the way too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

I have learnt my lesson many years ago as a teenager to not buy a car in primer (which this one was under the wrap) and think it is ready to paint, primer covers a multitude of sins and bodywork needed.
Not a fan of flip fronts either especially that particular one that had no faux front panel and bonnet seams in it the front end looked like a bubble.
To each his own though i am sure the original builder thought it was cute with the paint scheme matched to his RV.

joakwin

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

BruceK

Another Mini is being auctioned on BaT.  This is a genuine regular production 1275 carb Mini Cooper from 1992. 

It's got a lot going for itself, except it happens to be sitting in Sicily which will limit its appeal.  It's only a couple of hours into the auction and the seller is being very responsive, so that is always a good sign.   Seller promises underbody shots tomorrow and brand new tires to the purchaser too.

My guess is this will be bid somewhere around $13K.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-rover-mini-5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Looks nice and straight last of the carbed models with a HIF 38. The before paint pictures look good too i really don't know why he painted it.
Being LHD will help the bidding if it was already Stateside i am guessing it would bring another $3 to $5k.

BruceK

The dark silver Mini in Italy is not getting too much attention or love.   So I wrote a long comment explaining why it should.   It's only bid to $2,500 as of now.   Bidders biding their time until it gets closer to auction end?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

3 more days to go, we'll see what it does on Friday I guess......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on April 09, 2019, 12:03:13 PM
The dark silver Mini in Italy is not getting too much attention or love.   So I wrote a long comment explaining why it should.   It's only bid to $2,500 as of now.   Bidders biding their time until it gets closer to auction end?

Yes i thought it would be doing a lot better especially with a very active seller who has shipped to the US before, maybe no one likes the fact it is in Italy.
One thing i would verify if i was bidding would be that the second vin matches the vin plate shown then there should be no trouble importing it.
If the bidding does not pick up substantially i can see this one ending RNM and rightfully so.

Jimini II

The grey Mini only got to $8500 and ended up RNM.
Very interactive seller who sells cars in the US in Virginia and he has said he will be shipping this one over and i am sure it will do the money he needs for it then.
Being in Italy probably hurt the sale but even when you factor in the shipping and port costs at around $2 to $2.5k it was still a cheap price for a Mini based on US or UK prices.

MiniDave

Another nice Mk1 Cooper S, the only negative mentioned so far is the yellow color, some like it, some are not so sure....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-austin-mini-cooper-s-5/?fbclid=IwAR2YD7IpcS9PYgimsJ4mNc3gBdm2LGEmZr_sNpXv5AGpDk-shM2bH8PXPQw

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I made a comment about the silkscreened VIN plate – that's just weird.  And it looks to me that someone ordered the wrong seat covers – the auction claims gold brocade as should be on a Cooper - but I'm not seeing any gold at all.

Still, I think this car is going to command some big bucks.  Mid 30s at least. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S