Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on January 30, 2019, 09:27:39 AM
I remember your build thread on this car......what do you think he'll expect to get out of the sale $$$ wise?

An involved, motivated seller and a good story and pics should give it a leg up on most all the other listings.....look forward to it! I'm sure we in the community can give it a positive spin too   77.gif

Yes the seller of the woody Estate did not even introduce himself or answer questions which when looking at a car sight unseen is a good way to get to RNM which is exactly what happened. He would be better off listing it with a dealer and letting them handle the sale for him.

Jimini II

Quote from: jedduh01 on January 30, 2019, 09:23:41 AM
Since this is a rather 'small' family of mini owners watchers .. I can share a cooper S that is going to be on BAT = Feb 9th listing.

Local owner and I refurbished the car from a barn / garage find few years ago =  Took ALL mechanical work ... and how he enjoyed the car for about 2 years... Now Jeff picked up  Lotus 7 =  another car needs to move out...

He is doing the right things for the BAT Crowd.. NICE  Artsy Pictures... Telling the story...  Top to bottom the car WORKS as advertised.. no shady hiding business.  Kept MOSTLY original.. Some parts are replaced just to keep operational . but MANY parts come with that were taken off.
It will be a cool 'local' sale, I have no Hand in the sale = just watching a car move along...

Definitely not a garage queen = Jeff drove this car 600+ Miles to CMU Last April (even got a speeding ticket on that trip in it)  +   400 Miles to Hilton Head Course this fall!  He is our local mini Distance driver award winner this past year 2018!

I also remember the re fresh you did on this car, nice to see he drives it.
Originality nowadays sells he should do well with it.

MiniDave

Quote from: Jimini II on January 30, 2019, 09:43:14 AM
I remember your build thread on this car......what do you think he'll expect to get out of the sale $$$ wise?

An involved, motivated seller and a good story and pics should give it a leg up on most all the other listings.....look forward to it! I'm sure we in the community can give it a positive spin too   77.gif

Yes the seller of the woody Estate did not even introduce himself or answer questions which when looking at a car sight unseen is a good way to get to RNM which is exactly what happened. He would be better off listing it with a dealer and letting them handle the sale for him.

A dealer like MiniGuy?   :D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on January 30, 2019, 09:53:50 AM
Quote from: Jimini II on January 30, 2019, 09:43:14 AM

A dealer like MiniGuy?   :D

MiniGuy no longer has a dealers license.
Maybe a dealer with a license and bond so if something does go wrong you have some recourse.

The white flip front Mini Cooper with mods just sold for $15750.

MiniDave

I think that was a reasonable price for that car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 30, 2019, 09:01:21 AM
When I pointed out on BaT in the comments that the seller clearly didn't know how to market that wagon, he came back at me like I was nuts, the car would sell it self or something. All he talked about was the paint job, which I hadn't even referenced.....

He may own it for a good long while.....
Thin-skinned and clueless is a recipe for a non-sale.

It's one thing to be clueless the first time someone visits BaT, but it doesn't take a lot of observational skills to quickly pickup how the site works and the culture that has developed there.  It sure isn't Craigslist and a Seller must be engaged, knowledgable about his car and the marque, have a sense of humor, and even tolerate the odd comment from the peanut gallery.  The payoff is the car is crowd-vetted right before everyone's eyes, with all the flaws as well as all the benefits illuminated for all to see and comment on.   A sharp, engaged Seller can really move the process along, usually favorably.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

The burgandy S was RNM at $25k which i thought it would have sold for that price.

MiniDave

Another actual Cooper S MKI on BaT this morning, it will be interesting to see how this one fares, and sets the market for the one Jedduh's friend will have on there in a few weeks (Feb 9 I think he said)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-4/

This one is in traditional resale red/white, and while it looks fairly finished, I would put the quality standard at about home garage workshop level. Curious to see where it ends up $$$ wise.....

Edit: Whew! lots of discussion about the provenence on this car - opinion seems to be that it is a much earlier shell with later model mechanicals. Interesting, because while it has the right vin tag for the year it purports to be and a Heritage Cert to back that up, the body is clearly NOT what it says it is. Some sharp eyes and experienced folks on that one.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That red Cooper S, with A LOT of discussion about what wasn't 'right' with it, sold for $21,300 on BaT.

Now there is another Mk. I Cooper S, unrestored, and nobody is faulting it for being non-original.  As things look now, this car is going to sell for BIG money.  Like north of $40K is my guess. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Yeah, I've heard the phrase "it is only original once", but technically speaking this car sure didn't leave Longbridge looking like this. 

Is this really what you want to drive around with your Mini looking like?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

This is the car Jedduh and his friend brought back from the dead, there is a thread about it here on the forum. I'll be interested to see how it does too, but considering how they value originality on a MKI Cooper S (refer to the white one that didn't even run that brought $54K! or the one owner, low mile car that sold for $80K) this could do a big number too.

I'll be watching this one!

The car runs sweet and looks great underneath (great work, Jedduh!) but the gearbox seems noisy to me. And why the heck didn't he go ahead and fix the instruments? It's not expensive (under $200 for a speedo repair and calibration from Nisonger) and I think it would have added to the salability....leaving only cosmetics for the new owner if he so chose.

One last nit, a handheld camera is the wrong way to do a driving video, the camera moves all around and makes the car look worse as it bounds from bump to bump.

Also, do the turn signals work, or does he just not feel the need to use them?  ;D

You can buy that little green lens for the end of the turn signal stalk too......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I guess I just need to warm up to the 'original' trend. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I agree with you Bruce, but really all it will take is paint and an interior, the rest is done. Well, and the instruments....but I guess buyers would rather see it in it's original paint to know it hasn't had a lot of bondo work? Don't know why it's OK to rebuild the engine and trans but not paint it or fix the interior? I would rather have a fresh paint job (done well) and a fresh Newton Commercial interior.

BTW - our forum member Jeff10049 has a friend who makes replacement binnacles - correct grain and everything, only made out of much better material that won't turn brittle and break. Not expensive either, IIRC.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Solid reviews of a solid product!

The In Car video is a bit  'loud'  and I take it just from camera / mic takings..   The trans got nearly every bearing + Syncs installed ...  Its as fresh as new inside.  Jeff even drove the car to CMU this past April  Charlotte to Bristol Tn round trip plus the Hilton head adventure

Signals DO work.. Just in NC you dont need to know where im turnin...  :)
     Little green end flash = Keep it original was Jeff' motto.  A NOS  would be nice to find but if i remember correctly  the threads even have descentegraded from the stalk. not giving much for a new 'green end' to screw into.

The instruments.. we toiled over that one for a while while bringing it back to life.. The binnacle isnt the only hurdle.. the two side dash inserts are hard as rocks.. Seriously SOLID / suck in place in the dash.. We picked and prodded but could not see any way to remove those without hurting their condition. It was a choice of dead speedo or a choice of hurting the original dash cards.
  We tried sending oil into the oil pressure gauge too + with compressed air to try to free it up too... no luck. and if i remember = the Speedo is locked up=  so it sheared the cable inside.  we tried wiggling it + oiling it but there only so much success there too.

This lead to a secondary oill pressure gauge under the dash shelf for a monitor.   

Engine has run now on Brad Penn 20W50 since moment one (after break in)

This car also taught me to Hate Hydrolastic!  YUCK

Pic of when he brought it home 2016 - Flat Shell and Boxes of parts.

gr8kornholio

The biggest issue with the red one that just sold was the shell.  So if you could source a 66 shell and swap the bits to it you could possibly double your money.  Or maybe the buyer didn't care it was an all OG S and got a good deal on a sorted mini.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Knowing when to say when on a resto is always tough, Dan and I are wrestling with it on the Inno too.....so I see your point.

Jedduh, what's your guess where this car will end up $$$ wise?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

drmini

I think the concern of trying to fix the gauges on Jeff's car (binnacle/brittle) is not about the white binnacle, but probably more about the very thin, very brittle, original black plastic oval binnacle/cover that is held on to the metal backplate with the 4 little screws.  AFAIK, no one reproduces this unit and often the heat and sun have made the originals like a hand grenade with the pin on the edge of being pulled.  They crack and break at the slightest tug.  Not sure I would have attempted to try it either, unless I had a good backup.  Anyway, I think if he had fixed the gauges it really wouldn't matter in the end on his auction.  This Cooper S is gonna go for big bucks and will go to someone who is more concerned that he's getting what is right and not being deceived.  I expect it to hit 50 large!  It's just that good!  I just looked back at the Red one and all the comments (that were not deleted) and really hate that I missed out on that horse-beating.  I have owned far too many Minis to count over the past 40 years, pretty much wide spectrum of models/years.  As a former General Secretary of the UK Mini Cooper Register, and my OCD on Minis, that Red car wouldn't pass muster for that Club, which is (in my opinion) the ultimate authority of Cooper and Cooper S.  The Red car had an early 61 shell, PERIOD!  Late 61 shells, and all 997 Coopers had the factory cutout in the bulkhead for the fresh air heater hose, as well as captivated nuts in the upper portion of the B pillar for seat belt mounting.  That car had neither.  Yes, it was probably a good driver and didn't look bad, at least to a non-purist, but the little bits and bobs that were wrong would have sent me running.  Anyway, Jeff's car is excellent in my opinion, even with the scratches and faded paint.  At least you can see what you are buying and there is no deception.  I love the Island Blue/OEW combination, and especially the Cumulus Grey seats, with the Cumulus Grey/Gold Brocade inserts.  These seats were only ever in IB/OEW cars.  Much harder to find or replicate than say, Tartan Red with Cumulus Grey/Gold Brocade.  Probably, second in rarity among the interiors.  Of course the most rare Super Deluxe and Cooper interior combo is the Powder Blue with Cumulus Grey/Silver Brocade.  This scheme was only available on the 61 & 62 model year Surf Blue or Fiesta Yellow cars.  Damn hard to find those seats, etc.  Fortunately my original 62 997 (now my son's) had a perfect original back seat, and Vikram's car had a useable set of front seats with the Silver Brocade.  Of course, one of my greatest "Rocking-Horse Poo" finds was a complete ROLL of NOS Silver Brocade while I was living the UK.  Most of that material is now sewn into new seats for my son's car.  Sorry to ramble.  Good luck with the auction Jeff!

tmsmini

The thin black plastic binnacle "covers" are reproduced. Not sure by who, but I think I have purchased them from both Somerford and Seven.
I love that color combo as well and would be happy to drive it as is.
Terry

MiniDave

I'm pretty sure that's what Jeff10049's buddy makes too.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Jimini II

If i were in the market for an S this is one i would be willing to pay the big money for. From my perspective all the grunt mechanical work is done the rest (interior and paint) is an easier much quicker option and will not have the car sitting for months.
I don't know how much of the original paint is still on the car but it is not a rust bucket and that as we all know is where you seem to spend the big bucks and time.
Jedduh. Nice work on the underside and mechanics and keeping it looking as original as possible.
There is no doubt this car will do well.

tmsmini

Is the build thread for the blue car still on this forum? I cannot seem to find it.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 08, 2019, 11:53:21 AM
That red Cooper S, with A LOT of discussion about what wasn't 'right' with it, sold for $21,300 on BaT.

Now there is another Mk. I Cooper S, unrestored, and nobody is faulting it for being non-original.  As things look now, this car is going to sell for BIG money.  Like north of $40K is my guess. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-austin-mini-cooper-s-5/

Geez, it's up to $30K already with 5 days still left in the auction. And as more bids come in this will really get rolling I think.   This could set a new BaT record for a Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, Godspeed took it up in a pretty good jump, more than $10K?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad