Author Topic: Minis For Sale on BAT  (Read 85943 times)

Offline Vikram

Re: Minis For Sale on BAT
« Reply #950 on: November 02, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
Hold up, so theres no VIN or body tag on the car? It's registered on the FE number?

I know with my cars incorrect VIN that I'm no one to talk, but that sounds dodgy.

Offline MPlayle

« Reply #951 on: November 02, 2018, 03:05:00 PM »
It is a little "dodgy", but not unknown to happen with some of the older cars.  Since the VIN on older cars do not conform to the modern 17 character format, when a VIN inspection is done, they will sometimes cross up the VIN with the 'FE' number.  If no chassis plate and older paperwork mentions the 'FE' number, an inspector may chose to recognize the 'FE' number as the identifying number for the car.

I almost had something similar happen with one of the Minis I imported as the 'FE' number on the slam panel was where the inspector first looked versus the chassis plate mounted on the inner wing partially covered by the wiring harness.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #952 on: November 02, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »
There are plenty of Minis running around with completely made up vins, at least this one has a number that came from the factory attached to the car, so even tho it's not an actual vin, it does go with the car.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline Whee

« Reply #953 on: November 02, 2018, 11:12:58 PM »
While there are lots of reasonable explanations, I wouldn't touch it. Would always be worried it was a stolen car.

Offline BruceK

« Reply #954 on: November 08, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
On BaT now is a very clean good looking Mk. I Mini.   It's being listed as a Cooper but with no original VIN that ain't happening without a fight from the commentators.   Still, other then the missing provenance, it looks like it will be difficult to find fault with this car (at least with as much as is known on the first of the auction)

My early guestimate is this will go into the $20Ks.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-mk1/

After A LOT, and I mean A LOT of discussion about missing VIN plates and this being listed as a Cooper but not a Cooper, this very nice Mini just sold for $21,000.    I think that was a fair price.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #955 on: November 08, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »
I think so too, it was a very nice car - but that was the top of the market IMHO.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT