Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yep, if I was going to have a fleet of Minis I'd have this one in the group!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on October 08, 2018, 08:25:03 AM
yes.....ok, I had never seen those before.
I hated the shoe box headrests on my Aussie Mokes and cut 1.5 to 2.0 inches out of the center then welded them back up and re upholstered them, they looked way better imo.

Jimini II

And now BaT has a 1967 Cooper with S badging for sale and a lot of fresh paint on the underside. The bidding is already over $10k.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on October 08, 2018, 03:28:43 PM
And now BaT has a 1967 Cooper with S badging for sale and a lot of fresh paint on the underside. The bidding is already over $10k.

And now, 45 min later, the bidding is nearly $15K.  Wow. Pretty high for the first hours of a 7 day auction.   

Here's a link:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-mki/

It has an Austin America head and a very new-looking engine tag claiming it is a 998 engine - that's what the auction says it is.  But I suspect it might possibly have a 1275 engine.  If we could see the tappet covers or solid back of the engine that could be put to rest. 

I am not impressed with the black undercoating.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

It's definitely a 1275 in there now....and it's also def an AA head, pre-A block based on the alternator bracket location. Wiring is a mess, it has oversills, one plastic master cylinder, one can....brake lines spliced, no spring on the clutch arm, weird thermostat housing, wonder if it has a brake booster mounted in the right fender well? No breather hoses, rod change gearbox. Yep, found the brake booster under the right fender.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I've got a feeling the bidding is going to slow down a bit as enthusiasm is tempered with a good look at the flaws of this Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 08, 2018, 04:46:53 PM
It's definitely a 1275 in there now....and it's also def an AA head

Do you say that because of the difficulty of putting an AA head on a 998?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

No, I may have jumped the gun there.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

The consensus is that it is a 1275 engine with a new engine plate to match the 998 engine listed on the Heritage certificate.
Oversills, crusty doors and replaced front floors i am guessing this car had a previous rough life.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on October 03, 2018, 05:35:08 AM
Now a 1977 Canadian-market Mini is on BaT.

This one has been de-bumpered, but still has its sidemarker lights fitted. I used to own a '79 Canadian Mini so I know they have lots of little quirks (body reinforcements for example) that were unique to that market.

Looks like an active seller - my wildass guess is this Mini will be bid to perhaps maybe $8K - it's a no reserve auction so that adds a twist. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-austin-mini-1000/

This car sold for a no-reserve price of $6600 with an engaged seller who took on some of the commenters.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The Canadian Mini brought $6600.....

*Posted at the same time as Bruce.*

I think the seller left money on the table by not cleaning the engine bay, overspray on the fuel tank and so on. He claims not to understand the Mini market, but I think those things would lower the sale value on any car, regardless of brand.

On any car I've sold in the past, the one thing I made sure to do was clean it thoroughly, top to bottom inside and out. I always get my price.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Agreed. Not doing so shows the ability to neglect.  Not exactly what you want to portrait.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

The Designer model Mini sold for $7850 after some lowering of the reserve and BaT apparently kicking some $ in if I understand things correctly.   Hmmm...     Apparently that's half of what the owner was wanting when it was listed for sale on the MiniMania site.

I don't think the red Mk. Cooper is going to do as well as the seller hopes it will.   Presenting it as a numbers matching 998 but then explaining it has a 1275 and please ignore the fresh engine tag has not done the auction any favors.   Neither do the oversills and copious amounts of fresh black underseal.   Still, it's is a Mk. I that started life as a Cooper.  My guess is it will be bid up to about $20K - depending upon how the tone of the auction goes and how much of the discussion focuses on rust.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on October 11, 2018, 01:18:19 PM
The Designer model Mini sold for $7850 after some lowering of the reserve and BaT apparently kicking some $ in if I understand things correctly.   Hmmm...     Apparently that's half of what the owner was wanting when it was listed for sale on the MiniMania site.

I don't think the red Mk. Cooper is going to do as well as the seller hopes it will.   Presenting it as a numbers matching 998 but then explaining it has a 1275 and please ignore the fresh engine tag has not done the auction any favors.   Never do the oversills and copious amounts of fresh black underseal.   Still, it's is a Mk. I that started life as a Cooper.  My guess is it will be bid up to about $20K - depending upon how the tone of the auction goes and how much of the discussion focuses on rust.

Those "designer" Mini's seem to do better in the UK than here. Some of the anniversary ones and the Silver Bullet edition always seem to do well.
IMO the car would have done better with all the outside blacked out chrome replaced and recovering the seats black with red piping at least the audience would have been greater than explaining who Mary Quant is. It may have done $12k then.

The red/black Cooper "S" clone after a quick start up to $15k will more than likely be a RNM due to the fact that they supposedly bought it as an S.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on October 11, 2018, 01:18:19 PM

I don't think the red Mk. Cooper is going to do as well as the seller hopes it will.   Presenting it as a numbers matching 998 but then explaining it has a 1275 and please ignore the fresh engine tag has not done the auction any favors.   Neither do the oversills and copious amounts of fresh black underseal.   Still, it's is a Mk. I that started life as a Cooper.  My guess is it will be bid up to about $20K - depending upon how the tone of the auction goes and how much of the discussion focuses on rust.

This car just sold for $19,875.   Wonder what lurks behind the overcoat or under the oversills. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 17, 2018, 12:30:01 PM
Another real Mk1 Cooper S, with the engine number matching.....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-5/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_category_notification&fbclid=IwAR22FJ5p1llnJlfwLcPUYz05-jjhWouLWdUSEt-lI0-CjBkcyjn4borr5Do

Yeah, this one looks so original and clean - I think this may end up as something rare for a Mini on BaT : an auction that doesn't have any issues or controversies.  Of course I've now jinxed it.   I'm not a fan of the wheel arches or roof decal, but those are easily fixed.  And the wheels look to be not-OEW, too bright.  Hydro is long-gone, but I don't think that will be a super big deal.     

Assuming an attentive and responsive seller and no surprises (can't imagine there would be any), my wild guess is this puppy will go north of $45K.  Maybe more.   While white isn't everyone's choice of car color, but it really does highlight how super clean this car is - the floors under the carpets are just amazing.  The fact this car still lives near where it was first sold is pretty impressive too.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Some pretty impressive original floors for a 51 year old Mini.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on October 17, 2018, 02:04:21 PM

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-5/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_category_notification&fbclid=IwAR22FJ5p1llnJlfwLcPUYz05-jjhWouLWdUSEt-lI0-CjBkcyjn4borr5Do

Yeah, this one looks so original and clean - I think this may end up as something rare for a Mini on BaT : an auction that doesn't have any issues or controversies.  Of course I've now jinxed it.   I'm not a fan of the wheel arches or roof decal, but those are easily fixed.  And the wheels look to be not-OEW, too bright.  Hydro is long-gone, but I don't think that will be a super big deal.     

Assuming an attentive and responsive seller and no surprises (can't imagine there would be any), my wild guess is this puppy will go north of $45K.  Maybe more.   While white isn't everyone's choice of car color, but it really does highlight how super clean this car is - the floors under the carpets are just amazing.  The fact this car still lives near where it was first sold is pretty impressive too.

This went RNM at $37,500.     A real missed opportunity to present it a little differently, and gain more interest and money IMO.

This was a Mini offered at auction with no real controversies - and that should have been a great thing.  But there was no passion for the car either - at least judging by the comments. 

Arm chair quarterback view on the poor auction performance:  The seller should have really capitalized on the basic goodness and originality of this car.  It's a very clean car, but the value in a Mk. I Cooper is in two things:  its verified pedigree and its originality.   

This car had the first, but the later was muddled.  So it should have looked as original as possible - the mickey-mouse checkered roof did it no favors at all.  Neither did the ugly wheel arches which don't really suit a Mk. I car IMO.   Good points for having Cooper S steel wheels, but they should not have been painted bright refrigerator white - they needed to be OEW and match the car as they would have been back when the car was new.  The bonnet stripes - they weren't done right, and they are not a feature of early Minis as sold, so they should not be on the car period.  There were many photos, but the photos were not very good quality and they should never be taken in bright sunshine.  The owner believes the interior is totally original to the car -but didn't volunteer that information until hours before the auction ended.   Same with videos, they only showed up on the final day.   Had this car looked more original, and really capitalized on that, there would have been more passion and interest.  As it was, there were sometimes no comments at all for several days at a time - it could have done better if better presented. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, if you want to get all the moneys, you have to sell the sizzle as well as the steak.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Quote from: BruceK on October 24, 2018, 12:19:21 PM
Quote from: BruceK on October 17, 2018, 02:04:21 PM

This went RNM at $37,500.     A real missed opportunity to present it a little differently, and gain more interest and money IMO.

This was a Mini offered at auction with no real controversies - and that should have been a great thing.  But there was no passion for the car either - at least judging by the comments. 

Arm chair quarterback view on the poor auction performance:  The seller should have really capitalized on the basic goodness and originality of this car.  It's a very clean car, but the value in a Mk. I Cooper is in two things:  its verified pedigree and its originality.   

This car had the first, but the later was muddled.  So it should have looked as original as possible - the mickey-mouse checkered roof did it no favors at all.  Neither did the ugly wheel arches which don't really suit a Mk. I car IMO.   Good points for having Cooper S steel wheels, but they should not have been painted bright refrigerator white - they needed to be OEW and match the car as they would have been back when the car was new.  The bonnet stripes - they weren't done right, and they are not a feature of early Minis as sold, so they should not be on the car period.  There were many photos, but the photos were not very good quality and they should never be taken in bright sunshine.  The owner believes the interior is totally original to the car -but didn't volunteer that information until hours before the auction ended.   Same with videos, they only showed up on the final day.   Had this car looked more original, and really capitalized on that, there would have been more passion and interest.  As it was, there were sometimes no comments at all for several days at a time - it could have done better if better presented.

Nail on the head == that car was not original and it was modified simple..... regardless of how mild or wild modifications are they have to fit a buyer. and that removes the 'original aspect. 
   Checkered roof + arches / Now you have holes in the fenders and 'rub' spots from them being installed. Missing exterior chrome Will never be the same! . the car while complete was not a true original survivor.. 

BruceK

The auction on the white '67 Cooper S ended a couple of days ago, but the comments continue to grow.  Including several comments on the Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300 Export as being the most desirable of all Minis.  Wow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A Honda-powered Mini Van is now on BaT.   This will appeal to bit of a different crowd than a regular Mini I think.

The car has an early VIN, like circa 1960, but it is titled as a 1968.  But I don't think that will factor in much.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-austin-austin-panel-van/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

This car was for sale on Mania a while ago, I noted then that it had an extended nose and that it didn't look weird because of the longer wheelbase. I think they wanted $30K plus back then.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Thought the same thing about the nose.  There is another vtec mini panel in canada buried on mania.  Was bored at work.  It's a b18 with the AWD setup.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.