Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

I'm going badgeless on mine.  Not finding a lot of historical data on Australian cars.  What I have found says they were under the Morris name, but mine has an Austin vin which matches the title so it came to this country with it.  Of course it is removable so who knows.  It is a 65 vin which matches the car year which I guess is also an assumption cause it was this way for a while in Australia.  I like the smooth look too. 

The semi crusty blue one did 17K so I'd "expect" this to do better but who knows.  Going to need all those detailed underbody shots first.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Even the seller admits the car is let down by the nasty engine compartment
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on September 06, 2018, 10:16:09 AM

The semi crusty blue one did 17K so I'd "expect" this to do better but who knows.  Going to need all those detailed underbody shots first.

I dunno.  The blue one had a 1275 and seemed sporty (why just count the go-faster stickers!  ;D ) .  This white one looks great (other than under the bonnet) but it's a milder looking Mini and has a 998. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Another Mini has popped up on BaT.   This looks to be a pretty clean Mini Mk. V with a 1275 added.  And the subframes are painted blue!  ;D

I think this car will do a lot better than the nice white Mini.  I can see this one going to the high teens or breaking $20K

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-austin-mini-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think you're right that this one will bring more money - it presents better and has the big motor. The good thing about the blue subframes is you know they've been off the car and probably inspected, cleaned, blasted and painted - and I'll bet all the suspension bits are new or refurbished too.

I don't understand the holes in the floor pan don't go thru into the interior tho.....is there a second set of floor pans grafted over the original blue ones? Simple fix, some rubber plugs in the holes!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

And another Mini show up on BaT.   This one is dressed a little differently, but it's Mini underneath.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-mini-unipower-gt-competition/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The best part of that listing is the video of the car on track from the Abarth! It looks like a tiny Ford GT from that angle   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on September 06, 2018, 06:53:11 AM
Yeah, the rest of the car looks pretty nice, but that engine bay has been neglected big time.
The white car has the seams under the headlights and behind the doors filled in presumably before the respray. Having spent most of its life in the UK it is not surprising along with the solid but not great looking floor repair.
I agree the blue car looks like a better deal.
The Unipower is a rare one to come up for sale and with racing history too it should do well there are not too many around.

gr8kornholio

So I posted it on BaT and britbits agreed.  Picture 25 really makes the front wheel look WAY forward in the well. Other than bad camera angle what would cause this?

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Caster set differently side to side....lengthening or shortening the tie bar will pull the wheel forward or move it back which changes the caster setting.

Just checked, the car does have adjustable tie bars.

I think the wheels on the car look weird with the sport pack arches, needs the 13's that come with them to look right. Putting some spacers on those 12's would help, moving them out closer to the edge of the arch. Supposed to have hi-los, lowering it some would help the looks too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

That's what I was thinking. Seller just kind of blew it off so whatever.

Vikram

Man, I love that unipower. I'm curious to see what it sells for.

Jimini II

Now a 1989 Japanese spec Mini with a/c on bat with no reserve.
Looks good on the underside just needing the usual maintenance items but there is some scuttle rust. It says the miles/km's are low but as it has a 1275 and the speedometer has been changed to the center binnacle set up, also i believe all 1989 J spec Mini's had 998's so miles should be tmu.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on September 10, 2018, 04:45:30 PM
Now a 1989 Japanese spec Mini with a/c on bat with no reserve.
Looks good on the underside just needing the usual maintenance items but there is some scuttle rust. It says the miles/km's are low but as it has a 1275 and the speedometer has been changed to the center binnacle set up, also i believe all 1989 J spec Mini's had 998's so miles should be tmu.

Hmmmm.  a no reserve auction is going to be interesting. Yeah, I agree it would have been a 998 car.  So either the year is off, or somebody installed a 1275 and went to the trouble of fitting a/c too.

Here's a link to it:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-mini-mk-v/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

It probably came with a/c Bruce as the 99X vin number is a Japanese one, the UK one would have been SAXX and is usually still on the car from previous ones i have seen and owned.

BruceK

Right.  I meant re-fitting a/c after installing the 1275 engine.  I can imagine that was a fun job to do.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The white Mini with the trailer received a whole lot of little incremental bids from a wide variety of bidders at the end of the auction who kept bidding in the final 30 seconds, keeping the ending auction alive for 2 more minutes with each new bid.

It went from $6,350 in the final hour to $11,000 where it finally sold. 

I think that's a good price considering how clean the Mini was (excepting under the bonnet), plus the bonus of the trailer. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Surprised to see the guy that bought it is in the UK, with shipping, fees etc this will be about $15K to his door....or about £11,500. Seems a lot for a UK guy to pay for a Mini, even with a trailer and a wicker picnic basket.

The light blue one is already at $10K, so I expect it to do closer to your estimate of $15K....which makes the white one a pretty good deal by comparison.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 12, 2018, 06:09:40 PM
Surprised to see the guy that bought it is in the UK, with shipping, fees etc this will be about $15K to his door....or about £11,500. Seems a lot for a UK guy to pay for a Mini, even with a trailer and a wicker picnic basket.

Yeah, that is kind of crazy.  Like importing "coal to Newcastle" as the Brits say.  Having seen a bunch of nice Minis for sale recently in the UK, I am puzzled why someone there would seek out this Mini to re-import there - it would be cheaper to buy one locally, or build one there.  Especially with the strength of the dollar against the pound.  Perhaps sentimental reasons were the reason for the purchase? 

Quote from: MiniDave on September 12, 2018, 06:09:40 PM
The light blue one is already at $10K, so I expect it to do closer to your estimate of $15K....which makes the white one a pretty good deal by comparison.

The one with the blue subframes?  It's rust-free and looks to be in good shape, so I think it will do better than the dark blue Mini with some rust that sold last week for $17K.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

rust-free  :D every time I read that in an add I think yea right, you got full body, every step of the way, pictures of the rebuild. 

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on September 13, 2018, 08:04:47 AM
rust-free  :D every time I read that in an add I think yea right, you got full body, every step of the way, pictures of the rebuild.

Good point.  I should have said it doesn't have visible rust that I can see in photos. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Of course this knowledge is only recent to me since I've been working on mine cause I was told the same thing.  Oh yea it's rust free, it's an Australian import.  Uh huh.   :-[

MiniDave

Rust free just means you don't pay extra for it!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Wow, the blue Mini with the blue subframes was only bid to $12,250 and went Reserve Not Met.   My thinking was this was a much nicer Mini than the one that sold for $17K last week and should have commanded at least that much, if not more.   I'm not surprised at the RNM at that price.

Perhaps all eyes are on the Japanese Mini with a/c that is being sold at no reserve?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Yea, I even pointed it out to RLove who bid on that mini and then mentioned he regretted selling his RHD AC mini.  Umm hello, there is one on BaT right now.  And they are both in TX.