Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

henrikthecat

I am actually looking for a nice Cooper or Cooper S. We'll see, I guess.

Quote from: MiniDave on August 25, 2018, 04:12:39 PM
Wow, well done. Are you going to stay in our little community here? I'm sure you'll have another Mini soon, if you don't already.

Righteous

Quote from: henrikthecat on August 25, 2018, 08:29:12 AM
Surely you missed the "self" part off of your username.

No need for unpleasantries. With regards to these online auctions, transparency should be encouraged, not met with hostility.

Righteous

Quote from: MiniDave on August 25, 2018, 08:27:43 AM
Righteous, are you in the Lawrence All British Car Club? If so we may know each other.....

I haven't attended any meetings yet. Btw, thanks for the machine shop recommendations. I am working with Prather.

MiniDave

Perfect, they'll do an excellent job for you.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Now on BaT is the most original Mk. I Cooper S I have ever seen, I think.  This car was owned (still owned?) the owners of MiniCity and is even more remarkable that it was not "improved" or customized, or accessorized since they sold all sorts of Mini goodies.   

Some 40+ years ago I was a frequent customer of MiniCity, back when there was no MiniMania, or Seven Enterprises (or MiniSpares for that matter). 

Baring some unforeseen drama, I think this original, unrestored Cooper S will be bid up into the $40Ks, or higher.  It's a true time capsule car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-cooper-s-2

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Six days left in the auction and there was just a huge jump in the bids on that original Cooper S, nearly doubling the last one.  It's up to $27K now!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

velopackrat

Wow.  Unreal.  How the heck did the thing make it all this time without being molested?  The photos alone are worth $$ to anyone trying to restore one.  I'll wager it goes above $50K.   

MiniDave

At $29K now, about to crest over $30K and 5 days to go........to me this shows what a premium people are putting on originality these days.

Where will it all end?

Porsches are over the moon expensive, old Ferraris are in outer space, old Alfas and Lancias heading thru the stratospere, Corvettes are climbing and even our cheap little throwaway Minis are getting nutso expensive......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: velopackrat on August 29, 2018, 12:58:43 PM
Wow.  Unreal.  How the heck did the thing make it all this time without being molested?  The photos alone are worth $$ to anyone trying to restore one.  I'll wager it goes above $50K.

Yeah, I think you are right.   A running, driving totally original Mk. I Cooper S is a rare think indeed.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And another Mini shows up on BaT.  This one is not pretending to anything other than what it is.   The big unknown at this time is the condition of the body - no undercar photos are shown, yet. 

Wonder if it will get some sort of 'bounce' from the much more expensive Mk. I Cooper S being sold at the same time? Definitely different Minis, but this could appeal to someone who gets pumped up about the other car, but wants something more affordable.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-mini-mk-iv/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

And probably drivable.  No ones going to drive that s.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Wonder what the reserve is on this, $15K?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

velopackrat

MiniDave,

To mirror what you said, the market is beyond the norm and not just for Minis.  Much like the stock market.  So guess what?  If/when a correction takes place, these high water marks we're seeing will come back down.  Not that it helps us working class Mini nuts. And while gold and diamonds take up little space and hold value, you can't drive them:(
I'll store this built 1275 motor a bit longer then, hoping for a cheap shell to come along.  They sound so good at 6K rpm...

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 29, 2018, 04:58:36 PM
Wonder what the reserve is on this, $15K?

That might be high for this car.  But without showing any photos of the typical Mini rust areas, it is impossible to determine if this is closer to a $9K Mini — or a $15K one.

It's almost like some people set themselves up for poor results on BaT on purpose.  If you have any exposure at all to viewing BaT auctions, you know that potential buyers demand to learn everything they can about the car being offered.  So why even begin an auction and avoid presenting important information such as under body photos?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Quote from: velopackrat on August 29, 2018, 06:57:51 PM
MiniDave,

To mirror what you said, the market is beyond the norm and not just for Minis.  Much like the stock market.  So guess what?  If/when a correction takes place, these high water marks we're seeing will come back down.  Not that it helps us working class Mini nuts. And while gold and diamonds take up little space and hold value, you can't drive them:(
I'll store this built 1275 motor a bit longer then, hoping for a cheap shell to come along.  They sound so good at 6K rpm...

My grandson who's also a car nut can't wait for the correction to happen, he's got his eyes on some 60's muscle cars. Just waiting for the boomers to start loosing their licenses so he can scoop something up at pennies on the dollar.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Here's some originality insanery for you.  20K for a 182K mile 100 HP 4x4.  Seriously, you could build an non original version of this for probably a 1/4 of that and have a 10x better vehicle.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-toyota-4x4-pickup-8/

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

$8500 bid to $19,999.......what's up with that?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I posted something about eBay mentality, but others then stated he'd done these type of "knock out" bids before.  I just don't get it.  Of course the guy selling it just bought it from the OG owner a year ago.  No way he paid more than 5K for it.

BruceK

That's crazy money for that Toyota pickup.  Somebody watched that TopGear segment too many times.

Meanwhile, over at the original '64 Cooper S auction, a couple of comments, one after the other, just got flagged as non-constructive.  Wonder what's going on with that?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

There was a lot of that in both of the 911R (Moke and Mark 1 Cooper S that both didn't make reserve) auctions too..

I see someone called out MiniGuy for bidding prices up without being a serious buyer.....

$35K on the Red Cooper S with 5 days to go, last bit was a $5K jump.

I just made a comment, let's see if mine gets flagged.....the othe two showed up in my feed for a few minutes - they were commenting that MiniGuy wasn't a serious bidder and was just bidding the price up - I responded in kind...we'll see what happens.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 30, 2018, 01:22:10 PM
There was a lot of that in both of the 911R (Moke and Mark 1 Cooper S that both didn't make reserve) auctions too

Yeah, but I looked back at the comment history for both people involved this time, and neither of them has been a douche in the comments before.  Curious. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 30, 2018, 01:22:10 PM

I just made a comment, let's see if mine gets flagged.....the othe two shoed up in my feed for a few minutes - they were commenting that MiniGuy wasn't a serious bidder and was just bidding the price up - I responded in kind...we'll see what happens.

I don't get a feed - didn't even know that was an option.

Well, regarding MiniGuy, I agree he's not a serious bidder.  When I looked a few months ago he had bid on like 50+ cars, and never came close to buying one of them.  But lately, I have not seen him do the self-promotion thing saying "my website is my username plus .com" type of comments.  Perhaps he just stopped doing it.  Anyway, his bids don't hurt anything or derail the auction - he taps out well before the bids get close to the selling price.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

New photos up on the blue '77 Mini showing the underbody.  Not exactly rust-free.  But it was never claimed to be either.  I'm going to guess this car will go for about $12K.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The red Cooper S just took another $5K jump to $40K

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I think it might set a new all-time high for Minis on BaT.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S