Author Topic: Minis For Sale on BAT  (Read 140998 times)

Offline MiniDave

Re: Minis For Sale on BAT
« Reply #800 on: August 25, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
Henrik, what are the two T-Handle wrenches in the back window for?
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline henrikthecat

« Reply #801 on: August 25, 2018, 07:57:26 AM »
They're tire wrenches. The works cars had them, not a lot of room for tools so they put them where they could get them.

Henrik, what are the two T-Handle wrenches in the back window for?

Offline henrikthecat

« Reply #802 on: August 25, 2018, 08:21:00 AM »
You know... I spent 25 minutes writing out a lengthy reply to you (honestly). Then realized "what's the point?".

Best of luck to you.

@henrikthecat
1. How much is the rally gear worth? In order to get the most out of your investment, selling those pieces separately might yield the greatest return.
2. You said itís for sale now. How much are you wanting for the car?
3. There were a few things that kept me (and maybe others) from bidding. 1) A previous owner had mentioned absent floor boards and rear-end damage, but you were unaware. 2) There was not sufficient photography of those areas of concern. There appeared to be repair to at least the left front floorboard and the battery box. 3) Some of the previous repairs were not of the highest caliber- rough welding on the battery box, red paint  overspray at the rear. 4) These are not necessarily deal breakers, but they breed uncertainty

Offline henrikthecat

« Reply #803 on: August 25, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum Henrikthecat!

Offline Righteous

« Reply #804 on: August 25, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
"what's the point?".

1. Enlightenment
2. Iíd hate to see your 25 min composition go to waste

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #805 on: August 25, 2018, 10:27:43 AM »
Righteous, are you in the Lawrence All British Car Club? If so we may know each other.....
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline henrikthecat

« Reply #806 on: August 25, 2018, 10:29:12 AM »
Surely you missed the "self" part off of your username.

"what's the point?".

1. Enlightenment
2. Iíd hate to see your 25 min composition go to waste

Offline henrikthecat

« Reply #807 on: August 25, 2018, 05:59:49 PM »
It sold to the first person who came and saw it last night. Thanks all.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #808 on: August 25, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
Wow, well done. Are you going to stay in our little community here? I'm sure you'll have another Mini soon, if you don't already.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline henrikthecat

« Reply #809 on: August 26, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »
I am actually looking for a nice Cooper or Cooper S. We'll see, I guess.

Wow, well done. Are you going to stay in our little community here? I'm sure you'll have another Mini soon, if you don't already.

Offline Righteous

« Reply #810 on: August 26, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
Surely you missed the "self" part off of your username.

No need for unpleasantries. With regards to these online auctions, transparency should be encouraged, not met with hostility.

Offline Righteous

« Reply #811 on: August 26, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
Righteous, are you in the Lawrence All British Car Club? If so we may know each other.....

I havenít attended any meetings yet. Btw, thanks for the machine shop recommendations. I am working with Prather.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #812 on: August 26, 2018, 11:55:29 AM »
Perfect, they'll do an excellent job for you.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline BruceK

« Reply #813 on: August 28, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »
Now on BaT is the most original Mk. I Cooper S I have ever seen, I think.  This car was owned (still owned?) the owners of MiniCity and is even more remarkable that it was not "improved" or customized, or accessorized since they sold all sorts of Mini goodies.   

Some 40+ years ago I was a frequent customer of MiniCity, back when there was no MiniMania, or Seven Enterprises (or MiniSpares for that matter). 

Baring some unforeseen drama, I think this original, unrestored Cooper S will be bid up into the $40Ks, or higher.  It's a true time capsule car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-cooper-s-2

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Whee

« Reply #814 on: August 28, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »
Now on BaT is the most original Mk. I Cooper S I have ever seen, I think.  This car was owned (still owned?) the owners of MiniCity and is even more remarkable that it was not "improved" or customized, or accessorized since they sold all sorts of Mini goodies.   

Some 40+ years ago I was a frequent customer of MiniCity, back when there was no MiniMania, or Seven Enterprises (or MiniSpares for that matter). 

Baring some unforeseen drama, I think this original, unrestored Cooper S will be bid up into the $40Ks, or higher.  It's a true time capsule car.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-cooper-s-2

We wants it precious, we wants it.

I've bought 3 Minis so far this year, but I still don't have an Austin! This one would be perfect. Not so nice that it can't be driven, but just right! If only I'd had the garage space I had now 10 years ago when prices were so much lower...

Offline BruceK

« Reply #815 on: August 29, 2018, 06:20:30 AM »
Six days left in the auction and there was just a huge jump in the bids on that original Cooper S, nearly doubling the last one.  Itís up to $27K now!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline velopackrat

« Reply #816 on: August 29, 2018, 02:58:43 PM »
Wow.  Unreal.  How the heck did the thing make it all this time without being molested?  The photos alone are worth $$ to anyone trying to restore one.  I'll wager it goes above $50K.   

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #817 on: August 29, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
At $29K now, about to crest over $30K and 5 days to go...Ö..to me this shows what a premium people are putting on originality these days.

Where will it all end?

Porsches are over the moon expensive, old Ferraris are in outer space, old Alfas and Lancias heading thru the stratospere, Corvettes are climbing and even our cheap little throwaway Minis are getting nutso expensive......
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline BruceK

« Reply #818 on: August 29, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
Wow.  Unreal.  How the heck did the thing make it all this time without being molested?  The photos alone are worth $$ to anyone trying to restore one.  I'll wager it goes above $50K.

Yeah, I think you are right.   A running, driving totally original Mk. I Cooper S is a rare think indeed.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline BruceK

« Reply #819 on: August 29, 2018, 06:06:31 PM »
And another Mini shows up on BaT.  This one is not pretending to anything other than what it is.   The big unknown at this time is the condition of the body - no undercar photos are shown, yet. 

Wonder if it will get some sort of 'bounce' from the much more expensive Mk. I Cooper S being sold at the same time? Definitely different Minis, but this could appeal to someone who gets pumped up about the other car, but wants something more affordable.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-mini-mk-iv/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline gr8kornholio

« Reply #820 on: August 29, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »
And probably drivable.  No ones going to drive that s.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #821 on: August 29, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »
Wonder what the reserve is on this, $15K?
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline velopackrat

« Reply #822 on: August 29, 2018, 08:57:51 PM »
MiniDave,

To mirror what you said, the market is beyond the norm and not just for Minis.  Much like the stock market.  So guess what?  If/when a correction takes place, these high water marks we're seeing will come back down.  Not that it helps us working class Mini nuts. And while gold and diamonds take up little space and hold value, you can't drive them:(
I'll store this built 1275 motor a bit longer then, hoping for a cheap shell to come along.  They sound so good at 6K rpm...

Offline BruceK

« Reply #823 on: August 29, 2018, 10:07:51 PM »
Wonder what the reserve is on this, $15K?

That might be high for this car.  But without showing any photos of the typical Mini rust areas, it is impossible to determine if this is closer to a $9K Mini ó or a $15K one.

Itís almost like some people set themselves up for poor results on BaT on purpose.  If you have any exposure at all to viewing BaT auctions, you know that potential buyers demand to learn everything they can about the car being offered.  So why even begin an auction and avoid presenting important information such as under body photos?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:21:22 PM by BruceK »
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #824 on: August 29, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »
MiniDave,

To mirror what you said, the market is beyond the norm and not just for Minis.  Much like the stock market.  So guess what?  If/when a correction takes place, these high water marks we're seeing will come back down.  Not that it helps us working class Mini nuts. And while gold and diamonds take up little space and hold value, you can't drive them:(
I'll store this built 1275 motor a bit longer then, hoping for a cheap shell to come along.  They sound so good at 6K rpm...

My grandson who's also a car nut can't wait for the correction to happen, he's got his eyes on some 60's muscle cars. Just waiting for the boomers to start loosing their licenses so he can scoop something up at pennies on the dollar.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT