Quote from: MiniDave on August 20, 2018, 01:35:56 PM
What about Dr Mini?
Is he the same Dr. Mini who posts here?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

11 min left on the green Mini, $13,250 bid, biddings getting busy....wonder if it will go higher than I thought?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea the seller of the restored S called out werewolf in the comments about why he seems to have  a beef with them.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 20, 2018, 02:01:09 PM
Yea the seller of the restored S called out werewolf in the comments about why he seems to have  a beef with them.

He's just that kind of guy.  He'd have a beef with Mother Theresa. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 20, 2018, 01:59:05 PM
11 min left on the green Mini, $13,250 bid, biddings getting busy....wonder if it will go higher than I thought?
It's at $14.5K now.  And not done yet I suspect. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

The "Dr. Mini" is the same as sometimes posts here: Hugh Cannon.

MiniDave

A little more than I expected, but it's still a  nice car

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on August 20, 2018, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: MiniDave on August 20, 2018, 09:29:17 AM
Bruce, you really think the green car on BaT is a $23K car? I'm thinking it will bring $13,500 to $15K

I was saying that it possibly could sell more for than the recent authentic Mk II Cooper S which sold for only $16,500 (because it wasn't presented very well for what it is).   I think you are right in line on this car.  My guess is this will be bid up to $13K to $15K.  There are no real negatives on this car, but I think the seller could have done more to play up the fact that this is an authentic later generation Mini Cooper.  Not just a Mini.

Well, it came true.   A 1990s Mini Cooper sold for higher than a Mk. II Cooper S.   Wow.  $17K wining bid.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on August 20, 2018, 02:12:59 PM
Wow! Prices have gone crazy. I think I may be a little under uninsured on my Minis. Maybe agreed value of $12k on my "S' is a little under...

Ummm..  yeah!  ;D   I suspect that restored Mk. I Cooper S on BaT will easily be bid into the $30Ks.  If not higher.  Of course some of this depends on how the comments go, but with the body number revealed to be the same as on the Heritage Certificate, it looks to be a genuine Cooper S. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: Whee on August 20, 2018, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: BruceK on August 20, 2018, 02:15:13 PM
Quote from: BruceK on August 20, 2018, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: MiniDave on August 20, 2018, 09:29:17 AM
Bruce, you really think the green car on BaT is a $23K car? I'm thinking it will bring $13,500 to $15K

I was saying that it possibly could sell more for than the recent authentic Mk II Cooper S which sold for only $16,500 (because it wasn't presented very well for what it is).   I think you are right in line on this car.  My guess is this will be bid up to $13K to $15K.  There are no real negatives on this car, but I think the seller could have done more to play up the fact that this is an authentic later generation Mini Cooper.  Not just a Mini.

Well, it came true.   A 1990s Mini Cooper sold for higher than a Mk. II Cooper S.   Wow.  $17K wining bid.

Well, to be fair a non-rusty 1990's Cooper is harder to find than a non-rusty earlier Cooper :)

True dat.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

drmini

Yes, looks like the genuine thing.  Original German spec Cooper S.  Shame someone spent $40k restoring that and that's how the floors turned out?  Pathetic!  Also, they should have painted the bottom body color and shelled out the meager cost of getting reverse stamped VIN and engine number plates.  I think anyone spending stupic money would be put off by these little irregularities.

velopackrat

Agreed on the floors of that red S.  I looked through those pics and wondered who the heck did that nasty floor repair?  Did they let the new kid loose on that thing?  Why would you not take the time to line up the ridges?  I mean heck, it's a lot of work either way!  The welding looks like they used a wire welder with no gas bottle.  And the black paint over undercoating?  I dunno... the little car deserved better. 

I guess we have to wait a couple of days to get the answer as to whether buyers care about that stuff like we do.

Jimini II

Quote from: velopackrat on August 20, 2018, 04:09:39 PM
Agreed on the floors of that red S.  I looked through those pics and wondered who the heck did that nasty floor repair?  Did they let the new kid loose on that thing?  Why would you not take the time to line up the ridges?  I mean heck, it's a lot of work either way!  The welding looks like they used a wire welder with no gas bottle.  And the black paint over undercoating?  I dunno... the little car deserved better. 

I guess we have to wait a couple of days to get the answer as to whether buyers care about that stuff like we do.

Also if you look at the original floor next to where the new one was stitched in it is badly wrinkled, the way to go on this build would have been to replace and use full length floors.
The other bad repair i see is the use of several compression fittings on the hydro brake or fuel lines, at a $40k level of restoration these should have been replaced and are a definite no no on brake lines.
The only people making out on the two Mini auctions is Jet Motors and BaT with their listing/sale fees.

gr8kornholio

And this is why I bought the Aussie specific panel for my floor.  It cost more to ship than the panel and the panel was probably 2-3X the UK version.  But it didn't line up right and was missing the bolt holes for the under floor trays. I was willing to pay to have the uk one removed and replaced with the aussie one.  I did because I'd know and someone would notice.  Thanks to my professional guy for pointing it out too and giving me the option to change it.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 21, 2018, 08:46:17 AM
And this is why I bought the Aussie specific panel for my floor.  It cost more to ship than the panel and the panel was probably 2-3X the UK version.  But it didn't line up right and was missing the bolt holes for the under floor trays. I was willing to pay to have the uk one removed and replaced with the aussie one.  I did because I'd know and someone would notice.  Thanks to my professional guy for pointing it out too and giving me the option to change it.

It is all in the details you did the right thing imo and as the saying goes if you are going to do the job do it right.
I don't know if Later MK 3 through 7 floors are different but i had thought for the most part apart from very early cars they are the same if they are not maybe the wrong ones were used.

gr8kornholio

Agreed.

When he fitted the new aussie pan he was excited at how oversized it was.  Maybe the UK ones are kind of small and the rot was to one side so they shifted the panel instead of adding a filler piece.  Only speculation.

gr8kornholio

gr8kornholio

Based on the floor pan I bought it was factory from 65 to 72 I believe. Must've had rock problems down under.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 21, 2018, 03:52:38 PM
Based on the floor pan I bought it was factory from 65 to 72 I believe. Must've had rock problems down under.

I seem to remember your old floor had some weird man-made holes and butchery too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Maybe it's a factory Aussie thing cause the 66 S in my shop doesn't have them either.

gr8kornholio

It was more layers than holes.  Think Dan said he removed 3 layers from the right side.

94touring

2 layers on the left pan, 2 on the right, and 3 on the heel board.

MPlayle

The contentious red Moke went RNM - not surprising. 

What was surprising to me: the last bid was $33K and it still went RNM!

It makes me wonder what my white Moke would go for.

MiniDave

$33K for that Moke and the seller passed?????? What a maroon!

And the guy with the red Cooper S passed on $36K What the hell is wrong with these people?  :-[

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad