Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 25, 2018, 08:54:26 AM
Tidy little Countryman for sale on BaT......

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-austin-woody/

Nice wagon.  Too bad about the audio install and the sunroof.  But having a 1275 and disc brakes makes up for some of that.   And the wood looks to be in good shape too.   I have some real doubts that is Snowberry White - much too creamy IMO.  Snowberry White is a lot whiter than Old English White - more like the color of the newer MINI in the background.

If there is momentum, I think bidding on this car will approach the low 20s.  Maybe more.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

I was way off.  The woody Mini just sold for $16,250.   Considering the condition of that car, and the rarity of the model, I'd say the buyer snagged a deal!   As I said, I think the car was worth at least $20K.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

I thought $16250 was light and was a long way from the $26k he had it advertised for on Mini Mania. I don't think the big stereo set up helped as the front door pockets were cut to mount two speakers in each door.
He said he was selling it to help his autistic grand kid so it was sold for a good cause.

MiniDave

I think it was well bought at that price, for a car from a dry climate. The sunroof and stereo might not be to everyone's taste, but they looked well done at least.

I know several people who have sold cars recently on BaT and they (BaT) are actively discouraging reserve sales.....I think it cost this guy some money, but OTOH, it might not have sold either.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

If they are they aren't doing it everywhere.  That modified red 280z that was done racer style hit $19,800 with RNM.  Was really surprised for a partially restored non register-able car in CA.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

It seems very discriminatory as to what cars BaT pushes to "No Reserve".  Very few BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Aston, Jaguar and Porsche auctions are "No Reserve".

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on August 02, 2018, 11:36:15 AM
It seems very discriminatory as to what cars BaT pushes to "No Reserve".  Very few BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Aston, Jaguar and Porsche auctions are "No Reserve".

Me?  I'd be happy if they would cut down the number of late model Porsches, Mercedes, BMWs, etc. appearing on BaT.   It's getting like a fricken Robb Report.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Another Mini on BaT.  This time it's a Mk. II Cooper S.    Not exactly original (shock!) and a little scruffy - in some of the details - in my opinion.   But no glaring major flaws.  Except it was born a white/black Mini and now is a red/black Mini.   Not sure the world needed another red Mini.   ;D    (hey j/k)   

Being a Cooper S, I think this may go for some big money.  But I've got a feeling the comments to come will focus on all the stuff it is not, like 'original'.  Red gas tanks!?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-4/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

velopackrat

What's the Bruce Over/Under?  I guess $29,500. 

BruceK

Quote from: velopackrat on August 07, 2018, 02:57:42 PM
What's the Bruce Over/Under?  I guess $29,500.

I dunno.  Engaged seller vs. observant commenters.   Who will come out on top? 

My wild ass guess is this car will be bid up to the low 20s.  Although the Mk II is very desirable it's not as special as a Mk I with the more interesting interiors and little oval taillights, etc.  And this Mini has been accessorized and modified which will not be to everyone's taste.  Plus the oversills, which I completely missed in my first look.    That's why I'm gonna say low 20s at best. And likely RNM.  Unless several people see a diamond in the rough and go for it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Hmmm.  That red Mk. II Cooper S is more than halfway though its 7 day auction.  Comments and bids seem to be at a standstill -- only 28 comments so far, and there have been no new bids over the past several days.  Wonder if there will be more interest in the car as it approaches the end? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I don't know why anyone would bid before the last few minutes.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 10, 2018, 02:44:49 PM

Good point!

Well.  Surprise, surprise.  It sold for $16,500.    And I am very surprised.  But maybe I shouldn't be.  It's like there was no great effort to prepare the car properly for sale.  It's a classic Mk. II, said to be a authentic Cooper S car, but why does it look like a 1980s Mini with 12" wheels and plastic wheel arches?   

Not sure a Heritage Certificate means much if there is no VIN plate on the car - and no effort to tie the car to the VIN. The seller has owned the Mini for 30 years and did not even know if his Mini had a VIN plate mounted behind the radiator??!?!??!?!?  And he had never heard of oversills and didn't know it had them!?  And oh yeah, now that you asked the seat shown in one of the photos is from a Lancia and doesn't go with the car.  Just WTF?  But assuming it's really a Cooper S under it all, the buyer got a great deal.  Especially if the buyer de-customizes it and gets it back to what it should be.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

A nice 91 Mini driver for sale on BaT.....  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-mini-mkii-1300/#comment-2436007

Too bad about the poor paint match and 13 year old tires.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I wonder if this late model green '91 Mini will sell for more than the red Mk. II Cooper S that just sold?  Sounds crazy, but it is possible...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on August 13, 2018, 02:44:29 PM
Quote from: MiniDave on August 10, 2018, 02:44:49 PM

Good point!

Well.  Surprise, surprise.  It sold for $16,500.    And I am very surprised.  But maybe I shouldn't be.  It's like there was no great effort to prepare the car properly for sale.  It's a classic Mk. II, said to be a authentic Cooper S car, but why does it look like a 1980s Mini with 12" wheels and plastic wheel arches?   

Not sure a Heritage Certificate means much if there is no VIN plate on the car - and no effort to tie the car to the VIN. The seller has owned the Mini for 30 years and did not even know if his Mini had a VIN plate mounted behind the radiator??!?!??!?!?  And he had never heard of oversills and didn't know it had them!?  And oh yeah, now that you asked the seat shown in one of the photos is from a Lancia and doesn't go with the car.  Just WTF?  But assuming it's really a Cooper S under it all, the buyer got a great deal.  Especially if the buyer de-customizes it and gets it back to what it should be.

I agree the owner seemed like he was out to lunch.
I liked his statement about one day before the auction was ending "i just started the car for the first time this year" really !!!! with an auction ending in a day or two.
I would not be surprised if the new owner sort's the seats, dash, stickers, vin number and generally get's it back to a normal looking MK II S and sells it on for a decent profit.

MPlayle

There is now a red "Moke" listed:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-morris-mini-moke-2/

This is NOT a 1967 Moke - more likely a "Choke" or late Cagiva Moke.
- 1967 Mokes did not have the factory "trunk" behind the rear seats, that was a feature of Chokes and late 1980's to early 1990's Portuguese and Cagiva Mokes.
- It has the full length tank of the Chokes versus having a single 'cubby hole' in the front of the left side pontoon.
- The fuel filler cap is a small one on the side (as in the later Mokes) versus the large cap on top of a true 1967.
- A true 1967 did not have the front parcel shelves.
- The switches on the instrument pod are all later style rockers.
- The seats are the late style.
- The roll bar (top support) is the later style with integrated seat belt mounts.
- The rear mounts (tensioners) for the top are the very late ratchet style.
- Late style side mirrors (as from Portuguese or Cagiva Mokes).
- Late style "roo bar" bumpers front and rear.
- Late style windshield surround and side screens.
- Stepped out fender edges of early Chokes.
- Has the late style front side-marker lights that a true 1967 did not have.
- Wrong style voltage regulator box.
- Home made VIN tag with insufficient numbers and no plant designation letter at the end.
- Wrong shaped side covers on the front two cubbies of the right side pontoon (they are flat instead of having the dished oval center).
- Front turn signals are the wrong style.

Those are just some of the obvious things that stand out to me.  The early comments are all "dazzled" by the bright red color and bling added.

Edit: I do not have a BaT login, so if anyone here with a BaT login wants to copy the item above and post on BaT, feel free to do so.

Willie_B

After all that was done to it, it still has an 850 in it. Running a HIF44 no less. Lots of very neat go fast and stop quick stuff.

MiniDave

Malsal piped in, he thinks its a late model Portuguese shell running an early 850.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I just read some of the latest comments and Malcolm (Malsal) and a couple other true Moke folks are revealing it for what it truly is - a tarted up late Portuguese shell with an 850 instead of the original 998 and a false VIN.

The prefix of the VIN is correct, but the serial number portion is wrong.  My Moke is an Oct. 2, 1967 build date and has a seven digit number starting 1073xxx.  No way they produced enough Mokes to roll the number that far up - even if the BaT Moke was built in 1966 as a 1967 model.

Jimini II

It is a bitzer that's for sure. The one thing that throws me a little is the fixed grille which was only on early UK and Aussie Mokes but maybe the front panel was replaced.
The seats i looked at closer and i believe the rears especially are from a Choke. The pedal box, column, wiring harness, engine/box, rear lights, are all early Moke but the majority of the rest of the parts including the shell are Portuguese.
I can't for the life of me understand why someone would do all this work at great expense and stay with an 850 but to each his own.

Michael. It is weird why they would use flat steel for the pontoon doors when the replacement doors are not expensive.

Brad. The HIF is not installed and would be a waste apart from the fact it would probably be slower.

I am sure it will do well money wise as it looks good and for some insane reason bidders do not seem concerned with made up vin numbers as evidenced by the ex Clubman Woody wagon that sold for big money with a phony vin recently.

MiniDave

It Must be Mini week on BaT!

67 Mini Cooper S. One thing that caught my eye was that the engine number is stamped into the block rather than on a riveted on tag

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-morris-mini-cooper-5/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Engine number stamped into the block is usually a sign the engine has been rebuilt at some point with the block having been hot tanked in the process.  Supposedly, hot tanking the block dissolves the tag.

MiniDave

yes, but why wouldn't a Mini-centric company like Jet Motors not make a new tag? I mean, they could make the block number match a cert from another car easily enough.....

The one answer I can offer is that those damn rivets are HARD. I tried to drill them out of another engine once and broke 3 drill bits trying to get them out....didn't succeed either.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad