Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 03, 2018, 06:23:04 PM
I don't quite know what to think of this one, it has an interesting history, and being an 850 with a magic wand transmission makes it the least desirable Mini in my opinion.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-mini-850/

Read the comments.  This Mini was installed in an office building and later cut in 3 pieces to remove it.  Then welded back together.   Wow.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yes, that was the "interesting' part I was talking about   8.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 03, 2018, 07:27:54 PM
Yes, that was the "interesting' part I was talking about   8.gif

Ahh.   I thought you were referencing the hippy-dippy roof art.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Did you read how he did the roof art? Built a lazy susan, set the car on it, a friend spun the car while he hung from a rafter over the top of the car and dribbled paint onto it! He says it was done with that dip type paint, so it will peel right off if the new owner doesn't want it - I like it myself.

The car actually seems pretty well sorted, but that welded from 3 pieces would bother me.

Being an 850 too, I don't expect it to go over $6K

Wonder if Newton commercial still makes that awful avocado green carpet?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 04, 2018, 06:42:30 AM
Did you read how he did the roof art? Built a lazy susan, set the car on it, a friend spun the car while he hung from a rafter over the top of the car and dribbled paint onto it! He says it was done with that dip type paint, so it will peel right off if the new owner doesn't want it - I like it myself.

I am a bit skeptical that is how it got painted.  Let's just say a lazy susan big enough and strong enough was made and used.  Can you imagine spinning a Mini around and around and around fast enough to develop sufficient centrifugal force from the center of the car where the paint was supposed dribbled?  How many rpm's do you think you'd need to spin the Mini so as to get the G forces high enough to cause the paint to run to the roof edges?   20 rpms?  More?   I'd like to see that.

Just think of the old carnival painting effect the car supposedly emulates.  In those paintings, the cardboard that the paint was dropped on was spinning at least several hundred rpms.

If I had to recreate the paint effect on another Mini, it would be much easier to dribble one color paint on and then use compressed air to push it to the roof edges.  And on to the next color...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Aha!  Just as I thought.  After I questioned the method, a video of the roof being painted has emerged over on BaT.  Spinning didn't work to spread the paint so compressed air was used.

With the Seller being absent from the auction, I think this car will go RNM.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Well, that Mini went RNM with bids up to $7K.  Even with the custom painted roof, IMO that's more than fair for a Mini 850 with leaky drum brakes.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, 850's just don't bring big bucks, an uninvolved seller didn't help. The guy that used to own the car answered more questions than the seller did.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 09, 2018, 04:54:45 PM
Yeah, 850's just don't bring big bucks, an uninvolved seller didn't help. The guy that used to own the car answered more questions than the seller did.

And he wanted his old Mini back too.  He would have won it had the reserve been reasonable. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A pair of Mk. I Minis are for sale on BaT.   Actually, it's said to be one Mini and a Mini parts car.   Lots of old and not too useful parts are included too.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-austin-mini-cooper-5/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Judging by the wrinkling in the floor and boot floor that shell has been hit hard. It has boot board brackets but is not a Cooper or S vin number just a mash of parts at this point.

velopackrat

Ton-o-work.  Makes me shudder at the thought of making those shells solid again.  But they are Mk1's so c'mon Bruce, what's your over/under?

BruceK

Quote from: velopackrat on July 18, 2018, 11:03:42 AM
Ton-o-work.  Makes me shudder at the thought of making those shells solid again.  But they are Mk1's so c'mon Bruce, what's your over/under?

My wild ass guess is that they will go for about $5K-$6K (which will be too much) and be purchased by a starry-eyed dreamer who has bookmarked minimania.com and really doesn't know what he's getting himself into.  He will push them around for a couple of years and then sell them on to the next person. 

As you said, the 'value' is that they are Mk. I cars.  And there is a 1275 there too.   So that, like the floor pans, is a bit of a wrinkle.   ;D   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

velopackrat

If they were here in DFW and it was a Two-Fer at $1500, I would be your Starry-eyed Dreamer:)  But doing all that work to a non-S strikes me as a money hemorrhaging proposition.  As opposed to most of our Minis, only money losing propositions:)
Maybe it was the racer in those two shells past but someone went to some effort to convert to Cooper S brakes.  I doubt that thing was powered by an 850...

Jimini II

I have a trade in running/driving 1275 SPI with rocker and lower door rust and all parts to repair i would sell for $6500.
Yeah it's not a MK 1 but a running and driving 1275 imo is a better bet, maybe i am biased ;)

BruceK

Judging by the lack of bids so far (just one and it is a symbolic $1963) and few comments (with none of them very positive), there doesn't seem to be much interest in these Minis. 

This auction could very well go RNM.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Except,since it's no reserve, MiniGuy could wind up with it for the initial bid. I thought he didn't even work on them, let alone restore them?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on July 19, 2018, 02:38:41 PM
Except,since it's no reserve, MiniGuy could wind up with it for the initial bid. I thought he didn't even work on them, let alone restore them?

D'oh!  I somehow missed the no reserve part.  :-[

Yeah, that would be interesting.  I don't think he's ever been prepared to win an auction he's bid on.  He appears on BaT to not-too-subtly mention his Mini consignment services.   If each mention was part of a drinking game we'd all be drunk by now.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I'm drunk. What do I need to bid?

velopackrat

If any of you drunks buy all that junk, sell me the race car shell.  Uh, for $1500.  Cash money!  No, really!  Then you could make a Twinni out of the shell with the 12" wheels... an 850 up front and the 1275 in the back.  Have a bunch of levers like in the cab of an earth mover.  You might need a co pilot just to keep everything in check.

Wait...Dan is a pilot.  Perfect!  Dan! You need more Minis, right?

94touring

Apparantly I didn't bid on anything luckily.  I may be acquiring another shell later this year if anyone is needing one.  Repairs needed, which I imagine I'll do before selling, and should have a title too. 

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on July 18, 2018, 12:30:23 PM
Quote from: velopackrat on July 18, 2018, 11:03:42 AM

My wild ass guess is that they will go for about $5K-$6K (which will be too much) and be purchased by a starry-eyed dreamer who has bookmarked minimania.com and really doesn't know what he's getting himself into.  He will push them around for a couple of years and then sell them on to the next person. 

As you said, the 'value' is that they are Mk. I cars.  And there is a 1275 there too.   So that, like the floor pans, is a bit of a wrinkle.   ;D

Lucky guess on my part.   Some last minute bids and the pair of Minis sold for $5K.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

velopackrat

More like your keen eye and razor sharp bullshit meter.  Once again, you're spot on.  Can we bet on you in Vegas?

I figure for buyers, since I was one previously, it's a matter of reference.  This buyer scored two Mk 1 shells for $2500 a piece and he's happy to have won.  Then there are guys like us who know how much labor is involved to get an old shell squared away, not even considering prep and paint.  Dan for example, could write a book on this.  Lot o work.  But I get it, Minis are cool little boxes.

94touring

And yet I keep taking on more.  Slave to the mini.

MiniDave

Tidy little Countryman for sale on BaT......

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-austin-woody/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad