Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Wow, that lil red wagon sold for $7550, about $2550 more than I thought it was worth.......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Yes it kicked up speed towards the end. No reserve auction and it did $3k less than he was originally asking for it.

The black Clubman GT just doubled its bid up to $13k.

Mark Caldwells Spruce green UK Moke is going to be on BaT real soon and it is as perfect as they get so based on what others have done i am thinking it should set a record for a UK Moke imo.

Jims5543

Quote from: Duncan_same_old on March 14, 2018, 01:49:16 PM
@94touring -- resist the dark side!   ;D

Nice ninja edits now that the auction is over.

I do not hate Skip, I never met the asshole, I do know he does not know how to maintain a car correctly, I have one of his neglected piece of shit cars in my garage.

What you did was unload your mistake on an unsuspecting sucker who purchased in good faith on BAT without a proper PPI. I am sure for a nice tidy profit at that.

I have a rule when it comes to cars, under 10K take your chances, over 10K get a PPI.

I took a wild in the dark chance  that the Mini community was a honest and good one, I did not get a PPI on my 78 Pickup that I paid 12K for sight unseen.

A week after I got it I heard an unsettling rod knock and noticed the oil pressure was alarmingly low.

I nursed it for 1500 miles then pulled the engine. Now, as I dig into this car I see how hobbled together it is.

What a POS. I cannot state how fucked this car is everywhere I look.

A PPI would have flushed out all the major problems with this truck and I would have probably passed. Now I am stuck trying to make it right.

My dilemma is this, after I have it back on the road do I keep it or unload it?

See, every time I look at it I think how much of a sucker I am for buying it like I did. Part of me wants to just get rid of it, with full disclosure and sell at a loss because I am honest like that.  The other part wants to hang on and treat it like a rescue mutt, it has been neglected since it came to the states. I know I can make it right, will I ever profit from it? Probably not.

You made the perfect move, you knew you had a POS Skip car on your hands, you did just enough to unload it, and now the next guy gets to spend all the money, or maybe he will drive it 10 miles and put it back on BAT for the next sucker.

Ironically I purchased a car from BAT, I have a 1981 BMW 320i that I paid way under my 10K limit for PPI's. It has turned out to be one of the best blind purchase I ever made.

I am sure you will never check back here now that you unloaded your car on BAT, it was obvious you were trying to do damage control despite none of us did anything to hurt your auction.

To be honest, I am too busy to notice this shit, I received an email from a guy who is not a member here who was stirring up the pot over this car.

I am sure he will read this, please do not bother to email me with this bullshit internet drama.  I have better things to do with my time.

Good luck to you sir I hope you are OK with what you sold. Maybe the cat was tight, I suspect, since it was a Skip car, we both know it was not.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I did something similar when I bought my Clubman estate - my own fault, no one else's - but I learned the hard lesson that you are responsible in the end so I bucked up and made a nice car out of it - I wish I still had it sometimes but the guy who bought it from me got a great car and has had a ton of fun with it - he even took it on 6000 miles of MINI Takes the States. In the end I came out OK on it, I lost a little but I'm Ok with it......

So, to your pickup - I say - make a good car out of it - enjoy it if and while you can, then sell it knowing that you've saved another one from the scrapper and now another guy will get to enjoy a great Mini Pup too. With the way prices are going on Minis, esp MKI and the variants like a Pup, you may come out ok on it, and if you don't you got some good fun out of it too?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Hey, it's a local Mini on BaT.     Local as in from a Restoration Mini member!

Good luck Chris.  I think your authentic Mk. I Cooper S is going to sell for quite a pretty penny. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I wondered if you saw that too, I just saw it a minute ago.

Beautiful car, def should bring more money than that "barn find" a while back that went for $54K!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Very nice. Fun to see the mirrors.  Dean posted the same mirrors but mounted off the glass hardware.

velopackrat

Hey guys,

Thanks for your kind words.  BaT is kind of scary.  Hope I don't regret this... but so far, lots of nice things being said about the work I did.  We'll see.

Chris

jedduh01

Chris.  Good Luck with sale!  Will be a LOng week to watch it!

== let me know if you want to sell that precious hydro pump!  I probably used more than you did!  77.gif

MiniDave

No follow up on that beautiful Mini? $42K was a significant result! Congrats, Chris!

Now there's another pretty Cooper S Mk I on BaT, this one an original US model from 1967.....

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-cooper-s-3/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Auction for "1973 Mini Cooper" on BaT comes to a screeching halt when it is pointed out (repeatedly  ::) ) the car is a re-vin.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-mini-cooper-s/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And the red 1967 Mk. I Cooper S is only at $27K with 90 minutes to go. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

It wasn't a problem till they started bringing the big bux......look at that woody wagon that just sold - it had a 5 digit vin!

Once the dollars grow so does the scrutiny.

this could be a real problem for the seller - I believe it's a dealership. I don't know if they can go back on the guy who sold it to them or what....clearly they were hoping to cash in on the boom in Mini prices ad I can't blame the for that but they should have done their homework.

And OMG...the red one went RNM at $39,500!!!!!!!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

RNM at $39,500?  Ummm.   That seems a bit crazy to me.   I realize that car is a Cooper S but it's an ex-race car that was extensively rebuilt back into a road car.  So how much of the car as it was in 1967 remains?  Nothing wrong with a restored car - but should there be an expectation that it still has some Cooper S mystique if the car as it appears now is largely sourced from the Mini Spares website?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Exactly my thoughts, and the same as a few other posters......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

d_a_1384

I need a old car and classic car?
i dont price car

BruceK

There's an incomplete Mini Jem or Mini Marcos on BaT now.  Actually it's on eBay but BaT has featured it.

https://bringatrailer.com/2018/06/13/in-the-rough-unfinished-mini-jem-project-in-florida

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Small block motor that doesn't run, no glass or interior....I would not want to take this on, no way no how......and the bid is up to $3K already.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The Mini Jem project sold for $5k.  Holy cow.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 15, 2018, 05:57:33 PM
Nice MK1 driver quality Mini on BaT, no reserve too......

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-mini-cooper-4/#comment-2294840

So, according to the listing it used to have a 993 (?) engine?   Wow.  A Porsche-engine Mini !!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, BaT and their typos.....makes me think they have pretty non-car folks writing this stuff up..... ::)

But - if I can find the listing - I saw a 63 MK! for sale with a Buick V-6 driving the rear wheels thru a Ford 9" rear end today.....

Rats, the listing is on Facetube, but here are a couple of pics - I think it's on MM too...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Wow!  That's a remarkably normal looking Mini from outward appearances. I'd never guess it had that drivetrain.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on June 15, 2018, 05:57:33 PM
Nice MK1 driver quality Mini on BaT, no reserve too......

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1964-austin-mini-cooper-4/#comment-2294840

It sold for $24K !  It's a Mk. I and a very nice Mini but Wow!   I thought it might go for $18K or so.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I don't quite know what to think of this one, it has an interesting history, and being an 850 with a magic wand transmission makes it the least desirable Mini in my opinion.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-mini-850/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad