Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

For a custom mini, I'd still like a clubman, just something about the 70's sports look that I love.  But I'd love to build a vtec monster AWD car.  Like an intergra GSR motor with a ProCharger on it.  4 racing seats and harnesses.  Bright ass yellow and carbon fiber trim.  CHEAP!   ;D
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gasmini

Quote from: gr8kornholio on January 24, 2018, 07:58:15 PM
For a custom mini, I'd still like a clubman, just something about the 70's sports look that I love.  But I'd love to build a vtec monster AWD car.  Like an intergra GSR motor with a ProCharger on it.  4 racing seats and harnesses.  Bright ass yellow and carbon fiber trim.  CHEAP!   ;D
That last word gave me a laugh with what you wrote about your dream build. :D

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

velopackrat

Step One:  Find a donor Mini whereby the owner PAYS YOU $10K to haul it away.

BruceK

After many Mini-less weeks, there is now a Mini on BaT.

It was born as a Mk. II Cooper 998, but it now very much bitsa car.  So no concerns about originality and the new owner can do whatever he pleases without alarming the purists.  It will be interesting to see how it does.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-austin-austin-mini-cooper-mk2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

$10K already on the first day?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah that is surprising.

There's a bit of a controversy in the commentary.   Seems this Mini has two VIN plates with two different numbers.   The owner made his own VIN plate to match a typo on the title.  Uh oh.  Not exactly the right way to tackle that.   Some are calling for the auction to be canceled until the matter is fixed.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Its a bitsa and it's already registered in Holy California, and the vin plate matches the title - what's the problem?

Is that BL emblem on the A panel correct for the year?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 15, 2018, 09:02:48 AM
Its a bitsa and it's already registered in Holy California, and the vin plate matches the title - what's the problem?

Is that BL emblem on the A panel correct for the year?

No.  All the badging on the car is wrong. Bonnet and boot are showing Mk I badges instead of Mk II. And honestly, who exactly is proud to display BL badges?    Not me.

I'd say the issue with the two VINs is because there are two VINs.  Right now it's potentially open to police action including confiscation.  Pick one.   If it were me, I'd get my thumb out and fix the damn title.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

No bidding and few comments over the past few days.   A dark cloud of VIN monkey business is hanging over this auction.  Well not malicious monkey business - just laziness and indifference from the seller who notes he is a busy guy and going to the DMV to correct the title is just a hassle man.  Easier to make up a second VIN plate with the wrong VIN don't you see?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, I wonder what he was thinking - I'll just slide this one thru BaT, no one there will notice?

I also find it interesting that even tho they took pics of the floors - out of all those pics none of them are of the sills or other potential rust areas, and check out the bondo on the rear valance....

Too bad too, as the car has a ton of cools stuff and looks like it could be a fun ride....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Can't tell if it's bondo or poor prep and paint chipping/peeling.

MiniDave

Yeah, could just be peeling paint - still, points to the quality of work, and who knows what horrors might be hiding under it?

Like I said, for the right price it could be a fun little car......but why would anyone buy it with the title messed up? He says he's going to the DMV to straighten it out, and having the original vin plate might be his saving grace - if he explains it right. If he tells them he made up a vin plate to match the title all bets are off.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah hard to say.  Vin issues aside, just quickly glancing over thr car it looks pretty solid, albeit heavily modified to suit his taste.  I can't stand 4 point harnesses on a street car. Hell I hate the 5 point in the jet.  As soon as the wheels are a mm off the ground the shoulder straps come off. 

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on February 17, 2018, 08:08:02 AM
No bidding and few comments over the past few days.   A dark cloud of VIN monkey business is hanging over this auction.  Well not malicious monkey business - just laziness and indifference from the seller who notes he is a busy guy and going to the DMV to correct the title is just a hassle man.  Easier to make up a second VIN plate with the wrong VIN don't you see?

The negative comments worked - the Seller has now posted that he has finally visited the DMV and a corrected title is on the way.    Perhaps now the discussion will focus on the merits of the car?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The yellow Mini on BaT has had no bids for the last 6 days (!) and there are just 5 hours left.   

There was a good deal of VIN drama and the Seller has not been very responsive IMO.  That kinda set the tone for little interest in the car.   For example, there are no good underbody photos and no discussion of any potential rust either.  I think the fact and nobody has requested to learn more about the car's body condition indicates the true level of interest.   

This thing has RNM written all over it.  I think they will be some more bids (otherwise MiniGuy's $9,999 bid will win - and he's bid on 64 cars and never won a single one, so I don't see that happening). 

My guess is that it will be bid to maybe $12K-$13K and go RNM. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Well, what do I know?   With still nearly 3 hours to go there have been 10+ heated bids in the last half hour.  It's over $14K now.   

Seems this was on the radar of a lot of interested buyers who I guess where hoping the lack of activity on this auction would mean a bargain.  It's beyond a bargain at this point...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

While the yellow Mini auction is coming to a close, I spent some time looking at this VW-based frog car, which I found interesting for 2 reasons:

1) The color reminds me of the Bracken color used on Minis
2) This listing has a pretty wild comments section going with mystery, detective work, intrigue, accusations, and deceit(?).  Basically, everything the Internet is famous for (except nudity).  Interesting reading.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-porsche-912-19/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

At the current $15,250 bid, if this doesn't make reserve the seller is crazy.

That really nice almond green MkI Cooper S only brought $16 something, didn't it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

That's a really nice looking NineDozen, I've lost track of what these are doing compared to the 911 and 356 but I'm pretty sure the old "rising tide lifts all boats" theory applies to them too.....

Edit: Just read the comments........Wow.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 19, 2018, 02:42:57 PM
That's a really nice looking NineDozen, I've lost track of what these are doing compared to the 911 and 356 but I'm pretty sure the old "rising tide lifts all boats" theory applies to them too.....
If the comments are accurate, this 912 is on its 3rd owner - in just the past month!   Rapid flipping like that tends to drive the prices up I think.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I wouldn't be surprised if that is bracken.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The Porsche 912 auction went south pretty quickly and BaT Put a stop to it.  Comments got a lot more interesting. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

It's a Mini, Jim.   But not as we know it.

A very rare 1962 Ogle SX 1000, based upon a 997 Mini Cooper.

https://bringatrailer.com/2018/02/23/fiberglass-fastback-mini-1962-ogle-sx-1000/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S